2021 Best Bull Elk Hunt Photo Contest, sponsored by Kifaru

Status
Not open for further replies.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kifaru.png

1/14/22 Update. Contest is over and the winners are posted here

It's back! Six years running and just getting better! Kifaru has put up another $750 Credit in the Kifaru Store (just think!).

And new this year, Iron Will Outfitters is in with 2nd place prize for either their K1 Ultralight Hunting Knife or Iron Will K2 Ultralight Skinning Knife (both come in under 1.1 ozs, K2 shown)

Iron Will K2 Ultralight Skinning Knife.jpg

Some serious rewards for taking a great photo of your bull. Rules are listed below, but first check out the winning images from 2020:

@Hank
Hank post 76.jpeg

And @jr8fish (this guy has won or placed many years!)

jr8fish post 280.jpeg

Ya, that's right, Roksliders like to put heavy things on their backs and take great pics--what's the problem?

Check out all the finalists here so you know what we're looking for.

Rules:

This is NOT a biggest bull contest, but a "best photo" contest. The winning photo will be judged on the following criteria and rules:

*to note you can't enter a photo for someone else. They must enter it themselves (per rules #4-6) , otherwise the guides and those with big families/friend circles would have better odds.

1) WOW Factor. Is it a great photo that grabs the viewer? This takes in lighting, color, uniqueness, etc.

2) Composition- by that I mean the way in which the different parts that make up your photo are arranged- is there too much background, not enough animal? or visa versa? Are the antler tips out of the frame or the hunters head cut off? Or is it a good balance between the bull, the hunter, the terrain? (the hunter is not required to appear in the photo.)

3) Size of animal. This doesn't mean biggest animal wins, but if #1 and #2 are equal, we'll chose the bigger animal. (Got a problem with that? Home Depot sells sand by the bag.)

4) Must be a photo of a bull harvested fair chase in 2021 (or after December 10th of 2020--you must be able to prove date of harvest)

5) Between archery season and December 10th, post up your best harvest photo on this thread

6) Must be a Rokslide member to enter your photo. One photo per bull only. If you harvest multiple bulls, you can enter one photo for each (lucky dog, you!)

7) Also, by posting on this thread, you agree to let Rokslide and Kifaru use any of the photos in promotional material without compensation

8) Any international winner is responsible for border tax, custom fees, excessive postage fees, etc.

Good luck ladies and gents!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 311261
Will get this started with a late season WY bull, killed in January ‘21 (season ended 1/31/21). Not the biggest, but unique 7x7 w/ 1” devil tines on top of the eye guards.
ya buddy, congrat's on the earliest entry ever. We've always allowed entries taken after the previous year's close date, but no one's taken us up on it until you.

bpurtz

WKR
My son, Nathan, connected on a good bull - spotted a herd of 38 on the open hillside across a canyon that had 2 bulls competing for the girls - probably heard 50+ bugles between the two of them. We dropped 1000 vertical feet in heavy North slope underbrush then back up 1100 through a dense tree line just below the top of the ridge where we thought one of the bulls had bedded. Got set up and did a locate bugle - the bull responded immediately and rushed in to meet the challenge - 18 yard shot - the bull went 80 yards and we watched him tip over.

20210831_131950.jpeg

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
Well the opener was eventful up here in NW MT. After listening to him sound off all night across the lake. Me and a buddy were able to work in on him. He was very excited to hear a cow in the basin. He came through the brush at 8yards with no shot and stopped at 12 yards and I was able to slip one through the brush. Not bad for 7:30 am opening morning.

Attachments

• 22B16692-8834-40CE-84F0-453079460F45.jpeg
    22B16692-8834-40CE-84F0-453079460F45.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 383

NDGuy

WKR
Harvested my once in a lifetime North Dakota elk! This was my first elk hunt and taking this bull in my own state made it very special. This is my final decided photo entry as I think this is a unique photo compared to the contest photos in year's past and maybe I will be the dark horse to win this year :)

9/4/2021, one of the greatest days of my life!

fada61b4ceeab7290d3a1e85cbf2d314.jpg

Last edited:

Steadman

WKR
Only seven broken up days to hunt the UT spike/cow hunt this year. Logged over 75 miles and several thousand feet of elevation to coax this spike into stickbow range. Good luck to everyone this year.

Attachments

• IMG_20210910_102429__01.jpg
    IMG_20210910_102429__01.jpg
    725.6 KB · Views: 334

ZackP

WKR
Desert 5x5, slug at 20 yards. Took 3 hours to crawl into 20 yards from 300!

The dried blood on him is actually from a poorly placed shot from days prior if I had to imagine.

Attachments

• E85DA56A-7AAD-4B7A-85B9-20DF9DBBA67D.jpeg
    E85DA56A-7AAD-4B7A-85B9-20DF9DBBA67D.jpeg
    442.3 KB · Views: 393
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Desert 5x5, slug at 20 yards. Took 3 hours to crawl into 20 yards from 300!

The dried blood on him is actually from a poorly placed shot from days prior if I had to imagine.
incredible stalk in that kind of country. was it your arrow for previous days or another hunter? Just curious

ZackP

WKR
incredible stalk in that kind of country. was it your arrow for previous days or another hunter? Just curious
Thanks Robby. My knees are still feeling it today!

I actually took him with a 12 gauge slug from a rifled barrel. It’s good to 150 but with how bad the wind was I wanted to get on top of them and make it count. It’s the short range hunt that is down here in 53.

Actually another hunter. I had my eyes on a bigger 5X6 all year but when I glassed them in the AM I decided it was time. The fact that he was already hit made it an easier decision for me, would rather him be in my freezer than possibly not make it at all.

Looks like a previous hunters slug went through his backstrap and blew right through. I believe it was a 20 gauge that was used, as I pulled one from his front quarter. Old boy was hit twice before and kept trucking.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby. My knees are still feeling it today!

I actually took him with a 12 gauge slug from a rifled barrel. It’s good to 150 but with how bad the wind was I wanted to get on top of them and make it count. It’s the short range hunt that is down here in 53.

Actually another hunter. I had my eyes on a bigger 5X6 all year but when I glassed them in the AM I decided it was time. The fact that he was already hit made it an easier decision for me, would rather him be in my freezer than possibly not make it at all.

Looks like a previous hunters slug went through his backstrap and blew right through. I believe it was a 20 gauge that was used, as I pulled one from his front quarter. Old boy was hit twice before and kept trucking.

Wow what incredible story! 20 yards with a shotgun! Very cool man. You did it and yeah, I’m glad that bull is not gonna go to waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.