2021 Browning X-Bolt 280 AI & 6.8 Western & New LW Howa Models

Finn16

WKR
Browning's website is now showing a Limited Production of a 7.5 twist 6.8 Western and an 8 twist 280 AI. Both listed at 6 lbs 2 oz for the LW models. Howa is showing two interesting new models - the Carbon Elevate and Carbon Stalker but I didn't see any weight specs yet.

manitou1

WKR
Browning's website is now showing a Limited Production of a 7.5 twist 6.8 Western and an 8 twist 280 AI. Both listed at 6 lbs 2 oz for the LW models. Howa is showing two interesting new models - the Carbon Elevate and Carbon Stalker but I didn't see any weight specs yet.
Not seeing them on the Browning USA website...

EmperorMA

WKR
Not seeing them on the Browning USA website...
Here you go, all in 6.8 Western:

X-Bolt Mountain Pro Burnt Bronze - 24"

X-Bolt Pro - 24"

X-Bolt Pro McMillan - 24"

X-Bolt Mountain Pro Long Range Tungsten - 26"

X-Bolt Pro Long Range - 26"

X-Bolt Mountain Pro Long Range Burnt Bronze - 26"

X-Bolt Stalker Long Range FDE - 26"

X-Bolt Stalker Long Range - 26"

X-Bolt Max FDE - 26"

The X-Bolt Mountain Pro Burnt Bronze and X-Bolt Pro have a 24" barrel and weigh only 6 bs 2oz! The X-Bolt Pro McMIllan version also has a 24" barrel at 6 lbs 9 oz.

The rest have 26" barrels.

Last edited:
The carbon stalker says 4.11 lbs with a 22 inch barrel

2five7

WKR
Here is all the rifles available in the 280 AI

OP
Finn16

Finn16

WKR
Thanks Orion. Wow 4.11 lbs. is really light especially with a 22 inch barrel. I wonder if that's a misprint? A scoped 6.5 Grendel weighing 5 lbs would be a joy to carry.

It will be interesting to see what the short and long action chamberings weigh and what cartridges they chose to run in short and long.

OP
Finn16

Finn16

WKR
I found out today, directly from Browning, that the Browning website is wrong and the 280 AI in the sporter models will have 24 inch barrels and not 26 inchers - great news! The long range models will carry 26 inchers.

EmperorMA

WKR
I agree. Looks like they are only doing the 280AI in their higher $ versions.
Makes sense. Browning (along with Winchester) are the ones coming out with the 6.8 Western, and the two cartridges almost spittin' images of one another performance-wise.

The action-length differences between the two should make them not compete against each other for the most part, but you definitely want to give your own cartridge more support.

I am starting to want a 24" Browning X-Bolt in 6.8 Western, dammit!

OP
Finn16

Finn16

WKR
Makes sense. Browning (along with Winchester) are the ones coming out with the 6.8 Western, and the two cartridges almost spittin' images of one another performance-wise.

The action-length differences between the two should make them not compete against each other for the most part, but you definitely want to give your own cartridge more support.

I am starting to want a 24" Browning X-Bolt in 6.8 Western, dammit!
Haha. I'm toggling back and forth between the 280AI, 6.8 Western and just re-barreling a 270 Win I have to an 8 twist. All would be pretty good "one gun for all" cartridges- as would a handful of others.

EmperorMA

WKR
Haha. I'm toggling back and forth between the 280AI, 6.8 Western and just re-barreling a 270 Win I have to an 8 twist. All would be pretty good "one gun for all" cartridges- as would a handful of others.
I got started with a .270 Win as a kid. My next rifle was a .270 Wby Mag. I dearly love both cartridges and was a huge Jack O'Connor fan! I have gone off and experimented with other stuff and quite a few 6.5s of various guises and a few 7MMs being what I gravitated to most, but I have always had a soft spot for .270s.

I don't really have time to load my own anymore so a cartridge that provides what I want in factory ammo makes more sense. I have come to appreciate efficient cartridges that handle long, heavy bullets well and I consider the .270 Wby / 7mm RM to be the top of what I care to absorb recoil-wise. I have an accurate 6.5 Creedmoor and have always wanted a 7 SAUM for something with a bit more punch but ammo availability for it is very sketchy even in good times. Then news of the 6.8 Western reached me and it looks like it is almost identical in performance to the 7 SAUM but will hopefully have more factory ammo available with both Winchester and Browning supporting it with several rifles and a few different types of ammo. I am hoping other ammo makers follow suit as well as a few more rifles from other makers.

I am also a big Winchester fan so I could always end up with another Winchester rifle chambered in 6.8 Western, but I have been around quite a few of the newer Browning X-Bolts (most notably the Hells Canyon Speed) and they have all been ridiculously accurate with factory ammo so I am leaning toward a Browning next time. We'll have to see how it works out but the 6.8 Western has moved to the top of my list.

Have been liking the performance from my .270 shooting a 150 gr long range boat tail, can only imagine a 175 gr with a much higher BC. Be like the "reg" .270 on steroids.