2021 California Bear

I’d honestly shoot a bear over a blacktail any day. Going to check out B zone this year and target bears with a deer tag in my pocket just in case.
Lol I’m the opposite. Obsessed with blacktail, don’t give a shit about a bear. I don’t think I’ve ever not had an opportunity to shoot a bear while deer hunting my spot in bzone.

Lol I’m the opposite. Obsessed with blacktail, don’t give a shit about a bear. I don’t think I’ve ever not had an opportunity to shoot a bear while deer hunting my spot in bzone.
You’ve definitely killed some good ones up there, saw the pics you posted on FB the other day. Make it mulies and I’d have a tough time shooting a bear instead haha

Skip_Dog

FNG
Bear tag in the mail for me. Didn't draw a deer tag this year so looks like I will be up in B looking to fill my tags.

FishTacos

FNG
Got eyes on some bears. More work to do from here. There is a fair amount of time between now and season so will need to keep an eye on what food sources may shift between now and then. Will be heading out for archery so will need to be keyed in on food when that starts.

OP
David Gough
Got eyes on some bears. More work to do from here. There is a fair amount of time between now and season so will need to keep an eye on what food sources may shift between now and then. Will be heading out for archery so will need to be keyed in on food when that starts.
Hopefully we get some summer rains and the berry crop is solid.

OP
David Gough
Did a little scouting this weekend and didn't turn up much. The spring and water trough at mid-elevation was dry. No fresh deer or elk sign. There's some water on private in the bottom of the valley and I'm guessing the critters are sticking somewhat close to that. Still have cameras to check in a different spot in a couple of weekends.

FishTacos

FNG
I always wait to see what the fire season will bring before i commit…..

This is probably common for other folks too, but I’ve had some of my most productive, scouted spots for that season burn up right before opener that year.

Did a little scouting this weekend and didn't turn up much.

This is something I’m concerned about as well. I have a few spots that are looking good at the moment but could change prior to season opener. Im looking to add 1 and maybe 2 more locations as I think that’s the best solution. 4 spots seems to be both a manageable amount and also enough variability in case one changes and turns off for any reason. Hoping that I won’t have to resort to purely map scouted spots and can rely on the spots I have seen in person this year.

OP
David Gough
This is something I’m concerned about as well. I have a few spots that are looking good at the moment but could change prior to season opener. Im looking to add 1 and maybe 2 more locations as I think that’s the best solution. 4 spots seems to be both a manageable amount and also enough variability in case one changes and turns off for any reason. Hoping that I won’t have to resort to purely map scouted spots and can rely on the spots I have seen in person this year.
Water will be king on the eastern slope. I'm skeptical about whether the manzanita berry will come in this year.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heading to B zone this fall got a deer and bear tag. The primary focus will be on the deer tag though. The bear tag is more of an opportunity tag. I'm also there for almost 2 weeks so I could potentially fill both or none... Hopefully at least one.. This is my first time hunting Cali or for Columbian Blacktails. Worked up a solid copper load the last few weeks and feel confident to 600 yds with it.

In the B zone area whats the best way or areas to check a bear in if successful?

Last edited:

Skip_Dog

FNG
I know what the regs say but I always check my bear at the DFG office closest to my home. Driving off the mountain with a bear and not a warden in site seems to be the way it works out for me. I drive home and head to the DFG office the next day when it is open. I have never had an issue nor have found a better way to stay within the regs.
I'm heading to B zone this fall got a deer and bear tag. The primary focus will be on the deer tag though. The bear tag is more of an opportunity tag. I'm also there for almost 2 weeks so I could potentially fill both or none... Hopefully at least one.. This is my first time hunting Cali or for Columbian Blacktails. Worked up a solid copper load the last few weeks and feel confident to 600 yds with it.

In the B zone area whats the best way or areas to check a bear in if successful?

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I know what the regs say but I always check my bear at the DFG office closest to my home. Driving off the mountain with a bear and not a warden in site seems to be the way it works out for me. I drive home and head to the DFG office the next day when it is open. I have never had an issue nor have found a better way to stay within the regs.
Thanks. That was pretty much my plan I have the closest DFG location hours and number written down. Although it looks like they are only open Mon thru Fri. Looking through the regs it seemed very limited on options just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

Did a little scouting this weekend and didn't turn up much. The spring and water trough at mid-elevation was dry. No fresh deer or elk sign. There's some water on private in the bottom of the valley and I'm guessing the critters are sticking somewhat close to that. Still have cameras to check in a different spot in a couple of weekends.
Interesting. I scouted out two new spots a few weeks ago and it seemed that the deer/bear were all concentrated in a few small areas. Saw nothing for a full day and a half on various ridges until we decided to follow a game trail to a small seep and wham, tons of game. The next morning my buddy and I picked out two bears, 7 bucks and a doe within about 90 minutes in one drainage.

All this to say that I think you’re right…water is going to be king this year, with the caveat that I think this year is going to be all about trying to hammer those small productive pockets rather than glassing big areas.

OP
David Gough
There's a fire very close to my main hunting area. Going to be interesting to see how close the fire gets or if my trail cameras will just be burned to a crisp.