2021 California Bear

OP
David Gough
Doesn't look like full closures of the forests. Mostly wilderness areas. Still a big kick to the nuts.

MojaveJim

FNG
Are you sure that it's not the Kings Forest. Seems like we're peasants & they are the royals, & most are fine with that as long as the pittance shows up a couple time a year.

amassi

WKR
I am not sure how that would make our presence in the area legal. These are forest closure orders and not campfire restrictions, right..
It isn't a question of legality it reduces the odds you'll start a fire( the purported issue at hand) If a ranger can drive down a dirt road to find my truck and ticket me then by what standard is the rangers presence and vehicle less of a fire danger? They closed a couple million acres of forest that weren't on fire last year and most hunters abided by it because we typically remain quiet and compliant. Hikers on the pct didn't get off trail and wait for them to open because why would they
here we go again with sweeping forest closures during hunting season because the state lacks resources to deal with the real estate we pay them to manage. I'm fed up with it so I'm going

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
David Gough
Anyone have a specific boar they will be looking or Saturday morning? Looks like I'll be hunting early September this year for 4-5 days.

Question for the CA bear experts😃
Do you have to haul out the entire hide of the bear? I’ve sent an email a while ago to CA DFG with no response from them.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Bear hides with the skull are super heavy too, today I filled my Oregon bear tag and just the hide and skull weighed over 70 pounds. Would be a hard rule to make people follow.

OP
David Gough
Just curious. What do you do with the hide if your not having a shoulder mount or rug made?

Have the hide soft tanned and then hang it up on a wall by the nose. Lay it over a piece of furniture. Let kids play with it. Adults and kids alike are usually fascinated with them, not to mention the claws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Oh man... when I finally get lucky enough to harvest one? Sheeeeit... I'll be spending like hours just running my fingers thru the fur!

BTW... I've seen a few videos showing several different ways to "break the hide" (aka stretch the collagen fibers).

For those of you who've done more than 1 black bear... what's the easiest way to "break the hide" after you've tanned it?

That reminds me. Told myself I was going to build a fleshing post for this year. Last year bought a fleshing knife because that process sucks without a proper tool for it.