2021 CO Elk hunt

trdhtr

FNG
2021 is my second year to ek hunt in Colorado. I was awarded a archery tag for a unit that was previously an OTC unit. I chose the unit knowing it only took one point to apply and I hunted a neighboring unit in 2020. The unit is known for being very rugged and another reason I chose it. After hiking in 3.5/miles to 11,500 ft I found cattle. Not knowing the affect if any, grazing cattle would have on elk I decided to stay and try the area out. This was the first week of the season so expectations of hearing elk was low. For 8 days I traveled 5-10 miles, seeing fresh elk sign every day. Fresh rubs, tracks, scat, active wallows and beds were the norm daily. I did not hear a bugle all week! I was mindful of thermals constantly, staying on the opposite side of the ridges and only going over the ridge until later in the morning. I tried cold calling, several slow play sequences with no success. The only hunting pressure I ran into were mule deer hunters that were no where near the timber I was hunting.

I am new to elk hunting and am curious on hearing other opinions of my experience. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Gerbdog

WKR
Vague enough description that its hard to say what was going on exactly. How fresh was fresh? My lead into question after that is always... sans around the wallows... could you smell elk? Or was that a scent that you had mixed in with the cattle? How fresh were the wallows? I take note of all tracks around a wallow when i come up on them (well, within reason haha) and then when i come back in a day or two i check again to see if there are any new prints in the mud. This year? The wallows i frequent were hit in the first week of the season and then not again (will check a few again this next week). The water basically needs to be muddy and fresh wet mud tossed all over the grass for it to be fresh enough for me to sit. However, if they WERE that fresh, dont be afraid to sit a wallow to see elk. Sounds like there were elk there at some point, but you either werent there when they were or they were moving at night. Its not highly advised unless you have a good idea of what your doing but did you check in the bedding areas? If you just wanna see elk... good place to bump one... theyre tough tough tough unless your good at calling to hunt in their bed though.

OP
T

trdhtr

FNG
Vague enough description that its hard to say what was going on exactly. How fresh was fresh? My lead into question after that is always... sans around the wallows... could you smell elk? Or was that a scent that you had mixed in with the cattle? How fresh were the wallows? I take note of all tracks around a wallow when i come up on them (well, within reason haha) and then when i come back in a day or two i check again to see if there are any new prints in the mud. This year? The wallows i frequent were hit in the first week of the season and then not again (will check a few again this next week). The water basically needs to be muddy and fresh wet mud tossed all over the grass for it to be fresh enough for me to sit. However, if they WERE that fresh, dont be afraid to sit a wallow to see elk. Sounds like there were elk there at some point, but you either werent there when they were or they were moving at night. Its not highly advised unless you have a good idea of what your doing but did you check in the bedding areas? If you just wanna see elk... good place to bump one... theyre tough tough tough unless your good at calling to hunt in their bed though.
Thanks for the reply. The wallows that I encountered were hit recently with muddy water and flattened wet grass around. The one thing I didn't encounter as I did last year was the smell of elk. Unfortunately, I am an eastern hunter so I only get a 6-10 days in elk country. I had 26 hours to reflect on the way back and came to the conclusion that I just missed them coming through the area. To say I was disappointed is an understatement, but 8 days only in the wilderness is something I obsess about all season! It's motivation for next year. I am curious if my experience with cattle the last two years is common? I didn't think I would run into cattle at that elevation. In your experience, does the presence of cattle affect elk?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Gerbdog

WKR
Thanks for the reply. The wallows that I encountered were hit recently with muddy water and flattened wet grass around. The one thing I didn't encounter as I did last year was the smell of elk. Unfortunately, I am an eastern hunter so I only get a 6-10 days in elk country. I had 26 hours to reflect on the way back and came to the conclusion that I just missed them coming through the area. To say I was disappointed is an understatement, but 8 days only in the wilderness is something I obsess about all season! It's motivation for next year. I am curious if my experience with cattle the last two years is common? I didn't think I would run into cattle at that elevation. In your experience, does the presence of cattle affect elk?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Some swear it does, other swear it doesnt. I can say in NM i hunted elk around cattle all the time, now that im living in CO i dont hunt near cattle... not that i'd be afraid to, if there is fresh sign there is fresh sign... if there isnt ... gotta move anyway. Cattle do graze on the same stuff elk do so, in theory it effects the elk in some measure, and im sure like most things its different from one area to the next.

If you find a wallow that has fresh elk tracks (not bear, cow, or otherwise) and is muddy, wreaks of elk, and has fresh mud slung around it... i usually will give up a day to sitting around it. Everyone hunts differently so take it for what its worth, but i'll often do a day or two of hard hiking and active hunting and then if i come across a promising wallow i'll sit that for a day to re-coop.

OP
T

trdhtr

FNG
Thanks for the information, as always, it was a learning experience! One that I will look forward too in planning the hunt for next year. I hope your season was a success.

In my experience elk are fine with cattle if there is no pressure from hunters in the area. I have trail camera pictures of ponds with cattle and elk all in the pond together on a regular basis. But the second hunters and cowboys start to move in the elk will split.

Seems like you need to cover more ground. Spend a few days running ridge lines and glass long distance. Often times the elk will have moved into adjacent canyons/basins. For me it's just a game of checking as many deep pockets as I can till I find them. They are big critters, they stick out, and are loud. You will know if they are in a certain pocket.

Reactions: MJB

satchamo

WKR
I spent some time the last week some heavily grazed units (tons of cattle) and couldn’t find elk for shit….

Moved to a far less grazed unit - immediately found elk.

They’re grazing competition for elk not to mention the cows will go everywhere elk will which blows my mind.

I don’t see how they COULDN’T affect elk

Gerbdog

WKR
I'm new to this but can you describe what an elk smells like?
Great question... and hard to describe what elk smells like except maybe saying it smells like elk... When your in the mountains, and assuming there arent herds of moo cows around, possibly sheep, you will know it. It is a musky barn yard smell, and when your around fresh elk sign and you smell it you'll know it (bedding areas, wallows), the light will go on in your head and you'll say "oh, thats what elk smells like" and or... if you are ever around a dead elk and helping process it.... you'll know the smell for sure the rest of your life and the smell will stick on you for a few days.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I think elk smell like a combination of sharpies and barnyard. There is a very distinct “high note” (if that makes sense) that you will smell once and never forget.

As stated above it can be a very similar to cattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
In the words of our 26th president-
"... Elk have a strong characteristic smell; it is usually sweet, like that of a herd of Alderney cows; but in old bulls, while rutting, it is rank, pungent, and lasting.”

I think it is a good decription. While most haven't smelled an Alderney cow, most have smelled cows. The scent is somewhat similar with a bit of sweet added.

Gerbdog

WKR
Ah yes, the sweet aroma of an Alderney cow.... an acquired taste indeed... haha. Never knew that quote from the 26th. Good education point for the day. Lasting is a good word for it also.

Elk smell,,,, best way to describe... think of walking into a pasture and smelling a FRESH cow paddy only its a bit of a sweeter and softer aroma. A bull elk is the same smell only a heavier more pungent scent. It is like this, you would be sickened by a cow paddies stuck on your boots stinking but this scent you would notice but it won't turn your stomach like a cow paddy.

Kwa_bena

FNG
In the words of our 26th president-
"... Elk have a strong characteristic smell; it is usually sweet, like that of a herd of Alderney cows; but in old bulls, while rutting, it is rank, pungent, and lasting.”

I think it is a good decription. While most haven't smelled an Alderney cow, most have smelled cows. The scent is somewhat similar with a bit of sweet added.
I've smelled a horse stable and cut lawn grass after rain and that's about the only reference that I can pin it to. I didn't grow up like a typical city kid while I was growing up so I have that advantage. A good time to try to detect the scent before season? Where I'm looking there's not grazing allotments in the area so I'm not that worried about mistaking it for livestock.

Fresh elk piss is one of my favorite smells

42b17ef0cb0da2d4149043ed43bcbfd1.jpg

4467393d757ac7dc1f096240536ae225.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCtrapper

FNG
I'm new to this but can you describe what an elk smells like?
you will know it when you smell them. they smell like a barn. sorry if it comes off as rude but when I went on my first elk hunt and i smelt them I knew exactly what it was.