2021 Colorado Elk Archery OTC tag or Draw

Me and 3 others are planning a trip out to Colorado this year probably around second week in September. None of us have any preferred points or any experience Elk hunting out West. We all plan on entering the draw to get at least get a point for the year but in doing so realized that there are a several units that have 50% or better draw odds for a non resident with 0 points. My question is, should we apply for a tag in those units or should we just earn a point and then buy an OTC tag and hunt the OTC units?

PassCreek

FNG
Me and 3 others are planning a trip out to Colorado this year probably around second week in September. None of us have any preferred points or any experience Elk hunting out West. We all plan on entering the draw to get at least get a point for the year but in doing so realized that there are a several units that have 50% or better draw odds for a non resident with 0 points. My question is, should we apply for a tag in those units or should we just earn a point and then buy an OTC tag and hunt the OTC units?

I'd apply for the unit with 50% draw success. If you don't draw, you can still go the OTC route and have your point for next year. Did you look at the success rate for those units btw? They won't post the 2020 harvest report until after the deadline (I think), but the 2019 might be useful. I think looking at total hunters, total success, etc. might be useful in making decisions. The population estimates would be useful too for figuring out where to go.

Oh and like 5MilesBack said, apply as a group.

Good luck.

sndmn11

WKR
I would consider applying individually, but all commit to going regardless of who draws.
That will set you up for someone to be hunting every year, and experience in a unit is sooo valuable. I also think you are asking a lot for a party of four out of staters to knock down and efficiently remove four elk in a week. It also probably lends itself to a better chance of success and safety with others focusing on getting something to happen for one or two guys.

If someone doesn't draw and ends up wanting to sneak over to an OTC unit before or after your planned group hunt, they can do so easily.

Some of the areas that are now draw didn't draw out last year. If you are considering those areas I think I'd put in for a point and list the area as a second choice. That's assuming you know where you want to go. If you aren't set on an area you might be better to do OTC to keep options open, tho that pool of area has been shrinking.

OP
M
I would consider applying individually, but all commit to going regardless of who draws.
That will set you up for someone to be hunting every year, and experience in a unit is sooo valuable. I also think you are asking a lot for a party of four out of staters to knock down and efficiently remove four elk in a week. It also probably lends itself to a better chance of success and safety with others focusing on getting something to happen for one or two guys.

If someone doesn't draw and ends up wanting to sneak over to an OTC unit before or after your planned group hunt, they can do so easily
Yeah I don’t anticipate all 4 of us getting tags. For sure 1 (obviously lol) but possibly 2. But for sure all 4 will go regardless of how many tags we get. I just didn’t know if the low point draw units would be any better than the OTC units. I appreciate the help!

OP
M
Some of the areas that are now draw didn't draw out last year. If you are considering those areas I think I'd put in for a point and list the area as a second choice. That's assuming you know where you want to go. If you aren't set on an area you might be better to do OTC to keep options open, tho that pool of area has been shrinking.
Yeah we’re definitely not set an area so that’s why I was leaning more towards OTC to have more of an option. I just wasn’t sure how much better these “not desirable” draw units would be compared to having many more options going OTC. With this being our first time out we all have the mentality that we are just in it for the experience. If someone happens to fill a tag it would just be a bonus.

Yeah we’re definitely not set an area so that’s why I was leaning more towards OTC to have more of an option. I just wasn’t sure how much better these “not desirable” draw units would be compared to having many more options going OTC. With this being our first time out we all have the mentality that we are just in it for the experience. If someone happens to fill a tag it would just be a bonus.

Elk are everywhere and nowhere. It's all hard.

I know some of the areas that use to be OTC, so I might would choose to hunt those, but I generally have hunted OTC.

bz_711

WKR
Some Quick thoughts:
-as some have mentioned many units in SW and C that are now draw were OTC just a couple years ago...they are now draw because the herds have plummeted and they are limiting overall tags and cow tags in general now. Personally I'd avoid those units - elk numbers are ridiculously low.

-Personally i would have a strategy to build points...which means you really don't want to draw one of these 50% at zero point units because you don't get a PP that year if you draw a 1st choice tag...you need to put PP first choice and try to draw a lesser unit on second choice as mentioned. Again, apply all the same as a group if you want an "all or nothing" same draw for the group...that is my opinion. But with point creep maybe not best for a newcomer situation.

-another option is not worry about building points, all put in separate for this zero point unit and hopefully at least 1 or 2 of you draw every year and you now have your long term strategy of hitting same unit every year...what doesn't get mentioned enough is the value of multiple consecutive seasons in a unit.

For example, let's say the same 4 guys hunt the next 3 years straight, Archery elk in CO under the following 2 scenarios...here's how I'd estimate success:
1)Draw and hunt same 0 PP unit for 3 years straight: Year 1 - no elk killed, Year 2 - One elk killed, Year 3 - One elk killed
2)Potentially hunt different unit each of 3 years: Year 1 - no elk, Year 2 (different unit) - no elk, Year 3(possibly back to old unit or another new unit because no success yet) - maybe 1 elk killed.

1) nets approx 2 elk coming home, 2) nets MAYBE 1 elk.

Obviously this is all guesstimating but I'm going off 10 straight years of going to CO archery elk and what I've seen in my group and others...honestly it's more likely that 1) nets 1 total elk and 2) nets a fat Zero. Just trying to set realistic expectations. Above all I say pick what makes you most confident and get out there, you learn so much the first couple years and it's a blast (especially with good buddies) no matter what the outcome. Take pics and share your story!

GOOD LUCK!

cnelk

WKR
-Personally i would have a strategy to build points...which means you really don't want to draw one of these 50% at zero point units because you don't get a PP that year if you draw a 1st choice tag...you need to put PP first choice and try to draw a lesser unit on second choice as mentioned. Again, apply all the same as a group if you want an "all or nothing" same draw for the group...that is my opinion.

^^^ This is probably your best advice yet

OP
M
Some Quick thoughts:
-as some have mentioned many units in SW and C that are now draw were OTC just a couple years ago...they are now draw because the herds have plummeted and they are limiting overall tags and cow tags in general now. Personally I'd avoid those units - elk numbers are ridiculously low.

-Personally i would have a strategy to build points...which means you really don't want to draw one of these 50% at zero point units because you don't get a PP that year if you draw a 1st choice tag...you need to put PP first choice and try to draw a lesser unit on second choice as mentioned. Again, apply all the same as a group if you want an "all or nothing" same draw for the group...that is my opinion. But with point creep maybe not best for a newcomer situation.

-another option is not worry about building points, all put in separate for this zero point unit and hopefully at least 1 or 2 of you draw every year and you now have your long term strategy of hitting same unit every year...what doesn't get mentioned enough is the value of multiple consecutive seasons in a unit.

For example, let's say the same 4 guys hunt the next 3 years straight, Archery elk in CO under the following 2 scenarios...here's how I'd estimate success:
1)Draw and hunt same 0 PP unit for 3 years straight: Year 1 - no elk killed, Year 2 - One elk killed, Year 3 - One elk killed
2)Potentially hunt different unit each of 3 years: Year 1 - no elk, Year 2 (different unit) - no elk, Year 3(possibly back to old unit or another new unit because no success yet) - maybe 1 elk killed.

1) nets approx 2 elk coming home, 2) nets MAYBE 1 elk.

Obviously this is all guesstimating but I'm going off 10 straight years of going to CO archery elk and what I've seen in my group and others...honestly it's more likely that 1) nets 1 total elk and 2) nets a fat Zero. Just trying to set realistic expectations. Above all I say pick what makes you most confident and get out there, you learn so much the first couple years and it's a blast (especially with good buddies) no matter what the outcome. Take pics and share your story!

GOOD LUCK!
Thank you! That is definitely not a scenario I even considered but 100% makes the most sense. If I only get the opportunity to go once a year and I bounce around Units rather than sticking with the same one that has a decent record of producing and getting to know it im not really gaining anything. Thank you very much for the incite! You've been a HUGE help. I am new to this Forum but the amount of people willing to give input and advice is unreal to me. Its a great community to be in.

swampokie

WKR
I hunted 75 last sept and 30 miles of walking i never heard a bugle or saw an elk. awful. i also hunted 71 and 711 and they were no better. i saw a few old tracks and one pile of fresh crap and that was it. unit 71 was the best of these mentioned but farther east toward the divide seems to have more elk and a TON of hunters. Good luck

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
If you walked 30 miles in unit 75 and only found one pile of elk crap you might wanna just take up golf🤣