2021 Colorado Elk Pack List

MLandau27

FNG
Hey Everyone, long time lurker first time poster so be easy! I have started to compile my check list for this years Archery Elk Hunt in Colorado. I was hoping a few of the seasoned vets out here could take a peek and let me know what you think? This is my first western hunt and I am beyond excited. We plan to do a true backpack trip with a max of 10 days in the wilderness.

I have been physically preparing since the new years with HIIT exercises (insanity) and now have looped in peleton workouts 6 days a week for aerobic endurance. Since January I have also been doing 60# pack hikes for the steepest stuff I can find around here on the flatlands of the northeast! I do plan to go through the atomic workout 6 weeks before we leave as well

Evolving PACK LIST - https://lighterpack.com/r/j0drdc

I should mention the other guys in the crew have the tent and sawyer filter.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
I dont see anything to cook with like a jetboil or MSR. And the one thing missing that will ensure trip failure is you dont have any coffee. WTH is a matter with you?;)

You can cut some more weight. That comes out to 60#s loaded.
Only need 1 pair of paints. I'm not familiar with the 3 layers but you have 3 jackets?

There's a bunch of small items that add up fast. I've never needed sunblock for archery elk (maybe if you're in a wide-open unit) but 90% of my time I'm in the timber. Don't bring a full allen set, just grab a couple individuals that fit your bow.

I'd also encourage you to rethink strategy - 2 5 day trips is a lot less weight that 1 10 day trip. If you carry 10 days of stuff in and there's no elk and you need to relocate then you need to hike it all back... I generally bring 3-4 days of food and do a bunch of mini-trips! You can cover a ton of country in 3 days.

OP
MLandau27

MLandau27

FNG
I dont see anything to cook with like a jetboil or MSR. And the one thing missing that will ensure trip failure is you dont have any coffee. WTH is a matter with you?;)
Good point, i forgot to mention that we do have this covered in another pack! And coffee is clutch, great call!

OP
MLandau27

MLandau27

FNG
You can cut some more weight. That comes out to 60#s loaded.
Only need 1 pair of paints. I'm not familiar with the 3 layers but you have 3 jackets?

There's a bunch of small items that add up fast. I've never needed sunblock for archery elk (maybe if you're in a wide-open unit) but 90% of my time I'm in the timber. Don't bring a full allen set, just grab a couple individuals that fit your bow.

I'd also encourage you to rethink strategy - 2 5 day trips is a lot less weight that 1 10 day trip. If you carry 10 days of stuff in and there's no elk and you need to relocate then you need to hike it all back... I generally bring 3-4 days of food and do a bunch of mini-trips! You can cover a ton of country in 3 days.
Fair point here, for the clothes I would be wearing a full set out there so that would help with "packable" weight but it will still be on my body, agreed on only the essential allens too. I read a lot about sunscreen but I think you're right here it will be mostly in the thick timber so it shouldn't really be to bad, maybe just bring a small travel size one.

Cutting down to 2 5 day hunts also could massively help, I'm going to bring it up to the group as I think half of them can only hunt 5 days anyways, it would be a good excuse to run back to the truck, maybe even go into town and grab a shower!

I'd dump the following.

- Deodorant
- Hand sanitizer
- Sunscreen
- Chapstick, and I'd use Carmax (personal choice)
-Allen wrenches
- Flint/Steel
- Two lighters at best are needed
- Spare batteries (use new going in)
- 100 feet of rope, never needed that much

Not sure where you're going, but contractor bags are nice for quarters. Also, didn't see your all day hat you will be wearing, use something to keep sun off your face. Also, not sure how many guys total are going in, and how you will be hunting, but if you have 1-2 guys hunting together, carrying around 8-10 game bags isn't needed.

How will you cut elk rack off? Didn't see a saw unless you plan on bringing that back in when you pack to truck.

Dennis

WKR
MLandau27,

I have looked at your list and will share a few quick thoughts. First is ten days is a long time and a lot of food to carry. Might want to break that down some to several days at a time (3 to 5). Colorado weather can be pretty unpredictable and depending on where in the state you are hunting and whether you are going in early or late September does have an affect on gear. Here are a few thoughts in reading through your list and I assume you are a younger hunter in good condition. I would add rain gear pants as the weather here can be unpredictable in high mountains. This would be your wind and rain proof layer. I would expect you might see rain and or snow at some point over 10 days if you are hunting above 9.000'. Might be a little less likely below 9,000' but it does happen. Next I would consider adding or wearing gaiters which come in handy in wet snow and or early morning wet grass etc.

Bug spray might be another item if hunting the very first part of the season (the first week or so), but usually not a problem after that. However have some in the truck just in case.

Your total pack weight does seem a heavy to me but I did notice you listed a lot of clothing and your boots in total weight. I assume you will be wearing some of those items on your hike in? In Colorado you can have 80 degree days and nights below freezing. Another consideration is whether you are packing into a camp and plan on staying there, or are you planning to hunt everyday with you pack on your back and somewhere new every night.

I think you said you were going to share a tent and water filter. How about a stove, cup, pot, spoon etc.?

Good luck,

OP
MLandau27

MLandau27

FNG
MLandau27,

I have looked at your list and will share a few quick thoughts. First is ten days is a long time and a lot of food to carry. Might want to break that down some to several days at a time (3 to 5). Colorado weather can be pretty unpredictable and depending on where in the state you are hunting and whether you are going in early or late September does have an affect on gear. Here are a few thoughts in reading through your list and I assume you are a younger hunter in good condition. I would add rain gear pants as the weather here can be unpredictable in high mountains. This would be your wind and rain proof layer. I would expect you might see rain and or snow at some point over 10 days if you are hunting above 9.000'. Might be a little less likely below 9,000' but it does happen. Next I would consider adding or wearing gaiters which come in handy in wet snow and or early morning wet grass etc.

Bug spray might be another item if hunting the very first part of the season (the first week or so), but usually not a problem after that. However have some in the truck just in case.

Your total pack weight does seem a heavy to me but I did notice you listed a lot of clothing and your boots in total weight. I assume you will be wearing some of those items on your hike in? In Colorado you can have 80 degree days and nights below freezing. Another consideration is whether you are packing into a camp and plan on staying there, or are you planning to hunt everyday with you pack on your back and somewhere new every night.

I think you said you were going to share a tent and water filter. How about a stove, cup, pot, spoon etc.?

Good luck,
This is very helpful thank you Dennis, yes we plan on hiking in and setting up camp and the hunting with a day pack which would be way slimmed down, kill kit, emergency items, fire starting kit etc if we needed to spend a night away from camp. Right now our plan is to hunt the 12-22 and would be in the Aspen area hunting 10-12k.

The list is really everything I would have on me and in my pack, so I would think the actual pack weight will be under 40#.

I have a spork included and the guys have the stove / pot. I should bring a cup through or something for morning coffee!

We do have half of the group (2 guys) that have to cut out early after 5 days so it may be worth while to only pack in half the food, and go back with them for a day and possibly recharge / get a shower in town!

Looks like a solid list to me. There are always ways to trim around the margins, but 53 lbs is a pretty light all-inclusive gear weight for 10 days of bivy hunting IMO. Often when I hear guys claiming much lower pack weights, they're excluding things like water and the boots they're wearing (which you're including at 8 lbs combined). That said, carrying 50-ish lbs of gear everywhere you go is tough. If you find that the bivy strategy is wearing you out, consider switching gears and setting up a base camp that you return to every night so you can hunt with a much lighter pack.

I've often struggled with hydration in the mountains. Something to give my water flavor helps me drink more, so I take enough lemonade and/or electrolyte powder to make a quart or two of flavored water per day as a change of pace from straight water.

Without a solar charger (which I'm not a big fan of), battery management will be important for your rechargeable electronics. Your 26,800 mAh Anker should be plenty for one person, but if that's a shared resource, you may want to do the math on how many full recharges you'll be able to give each device. Leaving phones in airplane mode (or turned off until needed) and setting inReach message checks to manual mode (or long automatic intervals) will help with battery life.

Last edited:

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
i see the water bladder but didn't see a water filtration device for the bladder? are you using the steripen on the nalgene and pouring it in the bladder? might want to look into a quick disconnect attachment for the bladder to make filling it easier. or run an in-line filter.

cnelk

WKR
Might be a good idea to jump over over to the Caribou and Moose forums and see how the fly-in hunters pack light

Marble

WKR
My suggestion to put it all together and do a practice run. You'll figure out a lot of little things you hadn't thought of.

I would add 2 small towels to clean with.
Folding plastic plates
Pillow case to put extra clothes I'm and then have a pillow at night.

Probably more

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Some kind of a backup headlamp is a good idea. I have had my headlamp fall out of a pocket before.

Add in some aqua tabs or something. I would hate to be relying on another person to always filter my water for me.

I would also be starving to death on that much food for 10 days.

Dry out your wet wipes and then rehydrate them as needed for use.

Things I would get rid of: extra chapstick, several of the lighters, flint/steel, the heavy game bags(you should be able to get by with half that weight).

Hey Everyone, long time lurker first time poster so be easy! I have started to compile my check list for this years Archery Elk Hunt in Colorado. I was hoping a few of the seasoned vets out here could take a peek and let me know what you think? This is my first western hunt and I am beyond excited. We plan to do a true backpack trip with a max of 10 days in the wilderness.

I have been physically preparing since the new years with HIIT exercises (insanity) and now have looped in peleton workouts 6 days a week for aerobic endurance. Since January I have also been doing 60# pack hikes for the steepest stuff I can find around here on the flatlands of the northeast! I do plan to go through the atomic workout 6 weeks before we leave as well

Evolving PACK LIST - https://lighterpack.com/r/j0drdc

I should mention the other guys in the crew have the tent and sawyer filter.
Check the weight of that sleeping bag. It says 32oz. Quick google search says that bag is over 3#.

I would bring some electrolyte packets, you can never have enough salt. The best ratio is LMNT brand which has 1000mg per packet. It's good stuff.

fatlander

WKR
You may need more food.

Leave the deodorant. You’re going to smell like a warthog either way. Gold bond is my luxury toiletry. Makes your twig and berries feel a whole lot better after wiping down with a field wipe.

You only need 2 lighters max and you only need 1 wind checker.

Depending on the weather, timberlines may be way too hot. Something lighter like the traverse pant/prana Zion is what I’d lean towards.

Since you’re sharing tents, make sure you’ve got some ear plugs and some Advil PM/melatonin gummies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromEm

FNG
My first year's pack was around 60# too and so much was redundant. Think what can have multiple uses, minimize duplicates (ie pants), and really evaluate your food supplies. The suggestion to break up your trip into multiple legs is a really good one. Leaned that the hard way. Carry your pack to prep your body! Good luck.

OP
MLandau27

MLandau27

FNG
Can’t thank you all enough! Incredible information from a lot of seasoned guys here!