2021 Elk Down, Plus Comments

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
First, huge thanks to all of the members here at Rokslide who have given me advice and guidance. After trying and failing for four years in a row, including wasting a draw on what I thought would be an easy cow elk tag last year, everything came together this year. Story time:

• Sunday: Get on horse. Go scout. Horse is a dick - Doesn't like being by herself, with just me for company.
    20211024_113451.jpg
  • Monday morning: Wake up early. Solo. Hike out to where I scouted with the horse yesterday. Not a long hike, maybe 2km. Gain some elevation. Wait for first light.
    20211025_072412.jpg
  • Sun comes out just enough for me to use my binos to look at stuff. See seven mule deer about 80m from me. We are all stunned to see each other. Stay quiet and don't move.
  • Mule deer stop staring at me, and all start looking north at something. I turn my Kowa's north. There are three cow elk running towards me. I'm happy. Elk! Then immediately am bummed. Three cow elk, and no anterless tag. That's probably all the Elk action I will see. Watch as the elk run away. (Look for the black dots.)
    20211025_075257.jpg
  • Dejected. Time to go for a walk. Nice morning, may as well get to a high point and enjoy the view.
  • Get to the top of the ridgeline. Stare west at the mountains. Act like a tourist and enjoy the view. Enjoy not being in the office.
    20211025_083835.jpg
  • Open up a Snickers. Start munching. Casually look back east. Do a double-take. Herd of elk heading my way. The Opening Day hunting pressure appears to have pushed the herd my way. Dumb luck: Right place at the right time.
  • Panic.
  • Try to get my shit together. Realize that the elk haven't seen me. Get low. Elk are to the east of the ridgeline I'm on. I get on the west side of the ridgeline. Stay low and use the ridgeline to hide my stalk.
  • Get closer. Get lower. Start belly-crawling. Get back to the top of the ridgeline and peak over. I'm within about 150m. Not sure, because my brain is mush. Have a range-finder right there on my chest with my Kowas, but forget that it is right there.
  • Get Kowas out. Start looking at herd. Look for antlers. Find what looks to be a small 5-point. Okay focus.
  • Get the Rokslide-Special out. Paging @Formidilosus . 6x SWFA on a T3x Lite stainless (30-06, not 6.5. Sorry Form...) 180gr Accubonds. Have a good feeling, because I know this tool works. Who cares that I banged the scope on the rocks when I was low-crawling - 100% confidence in this unit.
  • Settle the crosshairs. Nice broadside. Herd is heading east-to-west. Feeling time pressure, as the herd is starting to quarter away from me and add distance.
  • Try to focus, but brain is mush. Can't believe I am seeing a herd of elk, let alone have a shot at a legal bull.
  • Breath. Laying on belly, facing downhill, shooting unsupported prone off my elbows. (Left my pack at my glassing spot in my rush to cut off herd.) Wish I had my pack to shoot off of. Fail.
  • Settle the crosshairs on the bull. Still broadside. Completely forget to do my shooting mantra/routine. Squeeze trigger.
  • I hear it before I see it. That sound every hunter knows. Good hit. Bull falls, gets up and tries to walk. Starts to quarter away. Work bolt and fire second shot. Hear it again - Good hit. Bull down. 4x5. The rest of the herd runs southwest over a ridgeline. It's now very quiet.
  • Happiness sinks in. Long term goal about 20 years in the making finally achieved. Many thoughts and feelings. Am very happy. Am very grateful. Realize that luck is a factor. Grateful that I was lucky. Grateful for food for the winter.
    20211025_113454 - Copy.jpg

At that point the work started. I didn't really know what I'm doing, other than what I've seen in Randy Newberg's and Cory Jacobsen's "Gutless" method youtube videos. Did my best. Takes me a long time, being new to this method, and being solo. Holding that rear leg up to make the cuts hurts the back.... But I get it done, throw a front quarter on the Eberlestock, and head back to the truck.

20211025_150558.jpg

20211025_153114.jpg

Oh and found a cool memento for my shelf when skinning out:

IMG_211027084726309.jpg
THINGS THAT WORKED:
  • Puffy + Rain jacket. Don't screw around with anything else. Just do this. I use the Eddie Bauer (yes I know) Cloud Cap 2.0. Got it on sale. It works awesome. The wind where I was is nuts, so you need something to cut the wind when you stop to glass. Rain jacket works as a multi-use item: Rain gear, hard shell, and wind-stopper.
  • Victorinox Paring Knife. Orange. Roksliders put me on to this. I was using a Havalon scalpel knife before, but never really liked it - seemed wasteful. The Vic knife is awesome. Get the orange handle one for easy-spotting when you put it down. I did the majority of the elk with this thing. Touched it up with a small diamond sharpener a couple of times, but that was it. Used my Kabar Dozier utility knife to do the rough cuts through the hide, but used the Vic for everything else. No joke - This thing was brilliant.
  • Rifle + Scope. I can't stress how nice it was to not doubt your shooting iron - This has always been a curse for me. @Formidilosus put me on to the Tikka + SWFA combo. Not saying it's the way for everyone to go, but for me, it's been the Easy Button solution.
  • Gutless Method. It's a thing. It works. Learn it.
THINGS THAT DIDN'T WORK:
  • Routine. Get your shooting routine down, so that muscle-memory takes over. I was all panic-brained and my adrenaline was going. I forgot all my usual steps and shooting fundamentals. I need to practice more, so that setting up and taking the shot becomes autopilot. This routine needs to include using your rangefinder and field-shooting positions. A shooting bench doesn't translate at all here.
  • Fat + Solo. Packing an elk out solo, even if it's only a short trip out, is really, really hard. Be in shape before you try this, and be ready for a long couple of days if you do. I got lucky and was able to get my truck close-ish to collect the rest of the quarters. If I had to pack it all out on foot, it would have been a suck-fest. Be smarter than me and find friends who are into backpack hunting, and will give you a hand if you get something down.
  • Spare Latex Gloves. (edit). Forgot to add: bring spare latex gloves in your kill kit. I had one pair, and that was it. Ultimately you'll take them off at some point mid-butcher. It's nice to have a clean pair. Next time I'm going to bring three pairs: one to use, another to swap to, and one for a just-in-case backup. They are light and cheap, so bring extra.
  • 30-06. Just kidding. Love it. Still puts food on the table 100+ years later. Simple is good.
Anyway, that's it. Good luck to everyone this season. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Oh and public shout-out to @rayporter for his unlimited patience in answering my dumb questions about hunting from horseback. Turns out I didn't have to use the horses this year for hunting (Again, that "luck" factor) but his advice was still a godsend in making me confident enough to take a hoofed critter into the backcountry.

Last edited:

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome! Congrats and thanks for the great write up! Eddie Bauer makes solid gear, cheaper than some of the more expensive hunting brands, but it works.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Great story and congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! Yes it's ridiculous how good some of the stuff Eddie Bauer puts out. Rokslide put me on to their Guide Pants, and it went from there.

It doesn't win you any cool points like say Sitka, but I already know I look ridiculous in the field. Old army surplus wool pants, woolrich button up shirt, down puffy vest. I've mixed and matched over the years until I found the combo I like. The cheap Eddie Bauer technical stuff fits in nicely.

Awesome! Congrats and thanks for the great write up! Eddie Bauer makes solid gear, cheaper than some of the more expensive hunting brands, but it works.

Gerbdog

WKR
Thanks! Yes it's ridiculous how good some of the stuff Eddie Bauer puts out. Rokslide put me on to their Guide Pants, and it went from there.

It doesn't win you any cool points like say Sitka, but I already know I look ridiculous in the field. Old army surplus wool pants, woolrich button up shirt, down puffy vest. I've mixed and matched over the years until I found the combo I like. The cheap Eddie Bauer technical stuff fits in nicely.
Pfff, if you already made it to wool your doing well, dont matter the brand, i love wool for outdoor endeavors. I started with all kinds of different materials and wish i had just gone straight to wool and saved the money.

Right place at the right time! There is always luck involved in hunting, to what degree depends on the skill of the hunter but its always there. Congrats and well done! It will get easier from here and elk number 2 will fall quicker than the first

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Congrats and great story and pix. Thanks for posting.

Which state?

Eddie

P.S. This sounds exactly how I expect my elk hunt to go once I get an elk. Next month for a cow will be my 3rd time trying. Your post will save me a little grieve. 👍

P.P.S. Next time, you can severe the lower leg of each quarter at the bottom joint to save you a little weight on the pack out unless you want the hoofs.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
hell yeah brother getting it done !!!!! good work. i think we make are on luck, sounds like you put in the time and effort now enjoy that delicious meat!

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm north of you guys, up in Alberta.

Yeah I wasn't thinking when I left the lower legs on. Should have popped them off at the joint like you said.

Sending good juju your way - Good luck.

Congrats and great story and pix. Thanks for posting.

Which state?

Eddie

P.S. This sounds exactly how I expect my elk hunt to go once I get an elk. Next month for a cow will be my 3rd time trying. Your post will save me a little grieve. 👍

P.P.S. Next time, you can severe the lower leg of each quarter at the bottom joint to save you a little weight on the pack out unless you want the hoofs.

Thanks for the great write up and way to go!!! Nice to share with a hunting buddy but some great pride in getting it all done solo too.

Ralphie

WKR
Nice work.

By the way along with carrying me around horses were made for carrying dead elk.

11boo

WKR
Great write up! Happy for ya man. A solo elk hunt is a great thing. And nobody better poo poo the -06, that is a fine elk caliber.