2021 Elk Meat Pole

Montucky. 40 yard quartering to shot and tucked it just right. Died within sight

3942111707752d7f8699beacd1b87138.jpg

ada6a66e59738c8cb9d48dceb97891c0.jpg

23b539b0001a0b210ba00c4405bef4d9.jpg
daayyyuuummm! nice work man! a short little recap of how that bad boy came to be would be cool, beautiful bull! Hoyt needs to buy them pictures from you, haha....

well done and congrats on a stud bull!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man oh man.......those are some damn nice bulls fellas. Way to get it done. Nice to see all those this early in the huntin season. And Dos Perros........that is simply a beautiful creature.

Randy

UT Limited entry, shot him Saturday morning as he pushed his cows up the hill to bed. Solo hunt and first branch antler bull. Shot him with a G5 dead meat at 15 yards, went 50 yards and piled up.
dandy! that huge whale tail 5 on the one side is so cool... well done!

I am a little feller, 5' 7", helps me sneak through the timber like a ghost puma.
haha, that's an incredible bull you got killed man!!!

you are going to have people getting surgically shortened for next elk season.... i can't imagine what that thing looked like alive, through the peep.... they always look bigger when they are alive, and that's a true giant as it is. one of the best parts about hunting is these encounters we get to have, people who don't hunt will never know what they are missing, and those encounters stay in our heads forever..... no amount of description can depict the event, what it was actually like.... again, huge congrats!

Those pics look just like I imagine Oregon hunting. What was the shot? 5 yards?
:) Actually got a shooting lane at just under 30 yards, but had him at less than 20 and couldn't see enough to shoot multiple times on 3 different occassions. I finallly was able to slip in between the cows and him. I lucked out and was able to get where he had to cross the lane as he circled around me.
There are definitely a ton of places that you truly can't see more than 5 yards where we hunt, but if you can move along with the herd sometimes small openings present a little better shooting distances. More times than not the elk win in this brush, but it's so cool being right in amongst them with all your senses on overload. You can see the trees shaking, hear the bull raking, the cows are so close you can hear them chewing and when the bull bugles you can feel it as much as hear it! It's impossible to completely explain, but you all probably know exactly what I mean :).
It was one of those perfect times where everything was like I imagine. Cows were talking and filtering by, satelite bulls were circling and talking, I was raking brush and calling, while he was raking and screaming so close you could feel it as much as you could hear it. It's amazing how close they can be and still not see such a big animal! After the shot I took pics of a satelite bull still filtering by in the same lane at 15-20 yards. It was perfect and the wind never betrayedme, as it so often does!
The tracking job turned out to be one of the tougher tracks we've ever completed with very little blood reaching the outside of his body cavity. Thank goodness my brother came out and gave me a set of fresh eyes and a boost of energy right as I really needed it. I'd been at it for 6 hours and the dry/hot weather combined with very little blood made it mostly just a tracking job with a speck or smear of blood every 15 or 20 minutes just to confirm we were still on the right elk tracks. When we finally found the needle in the hay stack so to speak, we couldn't take much time for pics because of the need to get him skinned and quartered and packed out, as I was already pushing the limits for meat spoilage due to the long drawn out track. Thanks again to my brother for hanging in with me half the night to get him out and to the cold storage so the meat could cool! It was pretty dang hot out and him staying up half the night to help me pack out made a big difference on the quality of a lot of good eating :)

Jaker_cc

WKR
Montana general tag. I heard exactly 6 bugles and my season was over. He’s (obviously) my biggest bull, but more proud I’ve killed 6 points three years in a row with my bow, all DIY public land on easy to get tags.

That’s a Toyota Tacoma in the second pic. I haven’t scored him yet but he’s over 48” wide.

3cea8e799fd0fb7e233813b0dd53dfb2.jpg

0a8199b75517f12eac191868de72363f.jpg

b8dbc2de5e37ee302f4f80b9ea614e95.jpg

Congratulations on a lifetime achievement. He’s a beautiful bull. Looking at him will bring you many years of memories of that hunt.

Extrapale

WKR
Montana general tag. I heard exactly 6 bugles and my season was over. He’s (obviously) my biggest bull, but more proud I’ve killed 6 points three years in a row with my bow, all DIY public land on easy to get tags.

That’s a Toyota Tacoma in the second pic. I haven’t scored him yet but he’s over 48” wide.

3cea8e799fd0fb7e233813b0dd53dfb2.jpg

0a8199b75517f12eac191868de72363f.jpg

b8dbc2de5e37ee302f4f80b9ea614e95.jpg
Amazing. He'll score well for sure. Congrats. 371 gross?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

haha, that's an incredible bull you got killed man!!!

you are going to have people getting surgically shortened for next elk season.... i can't imagine what that thing looked like alive, through the peep.... they always look bigger when they are alive, and that's a true giant as it is. one of the best parts about hunting is these encounters we get to have, people who don't hunt will never know what they are missing, and those encounters stay in our heads forever..... no amount of description can depict the event, what it was actually like.... again, huge congrats!

Thankfully I really only saw his left side dagger before I shot. Saw that one point and thought "oh he's a good bull Ima choot 'im." When the arrow hit he turned away and ran and I saw him turn his head 270 degrees and only then did I see it all.

NDGuy

WKR
Once in a lifetime ND Elk Tag. Taken north of Medora & Teddy Roosevelt Park Sep 4th. Called him in with a few other bulls and shot him at 100 yards. Crazy fog rolled in, it was crazy having near zero visibility hearing those bulls. Trip of a lifetime, bulls were screaming!

Whole thread is here if you want to read the recap.

1631559399826.png
1631559409229.png
1631559429650.png
afa5328a46df35d3f7c40f34a5e8fa5b.jpg

0c24b4630c9a50c6b9ebd6393454eb39.jpg

0e60d1225f29aee8f7f28bc96b048ac6.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome reading all these posts! Makes the next month before I get to be out there all that much more exciting. Good work Fellas.

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider