2021 Elk Meat Pole

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
Late in posting but got my first bull opening morning of Montana’s general archery. We were headed up high the night before to look for bears and deer. He bugled all night across the lake from us so we called the audible. He came running past me at 8 yards an hour after day light. The brush was to thick at 8 yards but I got a shot off at 12 yards. Started packing around 2pm got to the truck at 2am. Thankful for my good buddy packing and calling. Unreal day packing meat on the edge of high country lakes. Congrats to all the people on this thread there are some studs! D2EC329C-C35A-422A-891E-F724E873EB9A.jpegD4B701B9-0E24-41A2-B65F-4EA1480105A4.jpegC683C1C6-0658-430D-8587-9467F55EA150.jpeg

MT draw unit, DIY, public land. First bow hunt in about 20 years. First archery elk hunt ever. Stalked him solo within 25 yards of his bed after all day spotting and stalking. Very pressured and educated elk. Had to make the shot as he ran straight out from his bedded position. I'm very thankful for the awesome experience. Also for the advice I picked up on this sight in preparation for this hunt over the last year. Good job to all the posters in this thread! Nice elk, all of them!

First, the bass fishing pic....lol
IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG
IMG_4437.JPG

Sorry I didn't have help for a better pic. And the mosquitos were eating me alive while trying to get a decent selfie with the whole rack.....lol.....otherwise I would have my big goofy hunting success smile on.

Last edited:
WY thorofare bull. Shot taken from a shelf appx 500' above down into a small meadow. Angle compensated distance was just shy of 500 yards. Christensen 7 mag w/ Leupold VX5HD CDS scope. 162gr ELDX. The rough ass mountains, the grizzlies & several unexpected gnarly situations made this one hell of an adventure.

WY Bull.jpg

The 14th
Listened to him bugle around the wallow all afternoon before he came in and wollowed just under 30 yards. He finally walked in and laid in the wallow. Bugled and stood. Heart shot him and he ran 70 yards and dropped.

Third elk and third with a trad bow. Back to back to back.
bf60586fd3069e747cb17ac29e6bf527.jpg
ba7d9ad4698051e477a03c8b371208ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
super impressive man!! keep up the good work!

do you send a tooth in on your elk? i'm curious about his age, he looks pretty old, that bull is built like a tank

Returned from first elk hunt on 9/23. Had an incredible trip and hunt with my brother in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I was fortunate to harvest the only bull in camp over a 6 day rifle hunt. Our guide scored him in camp at 339" gross. He was a dinosaur of an elk, and only had a handful of teeth remaining. One of his front bottom teeth actuall fell out while we were processing him. Probably didn't have too many if any seasons left. His ivories are worn down to nubs.

Shot was approximately 80 yards nearly straight down as he came in under the cliff edge we were calling from. The 175 grain Federal Terminal Ascent entry wound was perfect .30 caliber, and the exit wound smashed through a rib and opened up a 3-4" wide exit. The shot center punched the lungs and he went about 45 yards before collapsing.
dream bull right there!!! i love mass, and he has mass to spare!!

dream bull right there!!! i love mass, and he has mass to spare!!
Thank you sir, and he has some awesome palmation on both sides around number 5. Busted off a small #7 on the right side at some point. I measured myself yesterday using online B&C calculator and came up with 445 345 gross and 333 net.

Attachments

• Unofficial BC scoring sheet.png
    Unofficial BC scoring sheet.png
    436.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Thank you sir, and he has some awesome palmation on both sides around number 5. Busted off a small #7 on the right side at some point. I measured myself yesterday using online B&C calculator and came up with 445 gross and 333 net.
Typo on gross score... had to open the score sheet on that one lol. That would have been a lot of deductions! Nice bull- congrats.