2021 First Time Backcountry Elk Hunt

kmwelder

FNG
I've been working on planning a backcountry DIY hunt in Colorado (1st season) with a friend who has a fair amount of western hunting experience, but due to some life circumstances he's no longer able to go, so I'm now reevaluating my options. I live in Ohio and was planning on driving out with him, but now that those plans have folded, I'm reevaluating the whole scenario. I'm aware that deadlines are rapidly approaching, so I'm trying to come up with a plan.

Main goals for the hunt are to get out in some good looking country, do a backpack hunt, and put an animal on the ground (antlers would be a bonus). I liked the idea of Colorado 1st season as it is slightly earlier in the year and farther south than Montana general, so potentially more bearable weather. Now that it's seemingly unlikely I'll have a friend to hunt with, I'm considering a guided hunt. I think in an ideal world it would be more of a wilderness hunt with more time on foot and away from ATVs and that sort of thing.

Any recommendations to try to help put me back on track would be appreciated. Any recs for reasonably priced guides in Colorado for 1st rifle w/ 0 points, or Montana general rifle? My vacation time is limited (was hoping to take 7-8 days off), but with another person, I thought driving to CO wouldn't be the worst option if we were trying to put two elk in my truck, but maybe now it makes more sense to fly? Maybe it's worth an extra day of driving to give up a day of scouting if I'm going to work with a guide that already has an idea where the elk are? I'm open to options. I just don't want to wait another year to hunt elk.

rayporter

WKR
outfitters will be filling up fast. also you should consider a drop camp.

either way. just go. you have to take the first BIG step to get started!!

Laramie

WKR
I personally think doing a solo backpack hunt for elk with no experience is a bad idea. If your going solo, consider landowner tags on a ranch or go guided. Trying to pack an elk out, by yourself, during 1st rifle, before the elk spoils, is no easy task even if you are only a mile or two from the truck. Maybe partner up with another hunter here on the forum? Even if you don't hunt together, just having the extra person to pack once an elk goes down makes a huge difference imo. Good luck to you.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you, i would apply for any tag I can get, and full send it. The learning curve will be A LOT less with a guide, but half of the fun is figuring it out on your own. Flying VS driving comes down to time. How much is your time worth, and does driving afford your more flexibility or not. If flying buys you more time, then 100 percent fly, rent an SUV, and go from there. IMO i wouldn't sacrifice the time by driving unless driving will pay off in some way. With gas prices going up, i'm not sure if there is a financial gain to drive. There is an expiration to your body being able to do a true back country hunt, so the sooner you get into it, the sooner you will have success. Don't nuke it, go for it, and have a blast regardless of if you notch a tag or not.

OP
K

kmwelder

FNG
I personally think doing a solo backpack hunt for elk with no experience is a bad idea. If your going solo, consider landowner tags on a ranch or go guided. Trying to pack an elk out, by yourself, during 1st rifle, before the elk spoils, is no easy task even if you are only a mile or two from the truck. Maybe partner up with another hunter here on the forum? Even if you don't hunt together, just having the extra person to pack once an elk goes down makes a huge difference imo. Good luck to you.
I generally agree. I feel like I've generally done my due diligence to have a clue when it comes to knowing what it takes, but I don't have the hubris to think rolling up solo with no experience is going to give me a high probability of success. My vacation time is pretty valuable, so despite nothing being guaranteed, I'd like to make the most out of my trip. Certainly wouldn't be opposed to partnering up with someone from the forum who's willing to show me the ropes.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
I generally agree. I feel like I've generally done my due diligence to have a clue when it comes to knowing what it takes, but I don't have the hubris to think rolling up solo with no experience is going to give me a high probability of success. My vacation time is pretty valuable, so despite nothing being guaranteed, I'd like to make the most out of my trip. Certainly wouldn't be opposed to partnering up with someone from the forum who's willing to show me the ropes.
Not discounting your research at all. You seem more prepared than many who post similar threads. I have seen quite a few guys shoot an elk their first year- It can happen. My recommendations are based on what happens after you pull the trigger. I have shot a pile of elk and had plenty of others that I helped out on. Maybe 50 between the two give or take. I have packed one solo. I don't intend on doing it again. It's possible but it can be brutal depending on where he dies.

My advice is don’t plan an elk hunt based on driving distance. Is your goal a dead elk or a short drive there and back? This is NOT deer hunting. You should do everything and anything you can to up your odds of success especially since you are totally new to elk hunting.

OP
K

kmwelder

FNG
My advice is don’t plan an elk hunt based on driving distance. Is your goal a dead elk or a short drive there and back? This is NOT deer hunting. You should do everything and anything you can to up your odds of success especially since you are totally new to elk hunting.
I've seen you make a lot of recommendations to people on the forum for guides and that sort of thing. Do you have any guides for CO 1st rifle or MT general that you can vouch for?

OP
K

kmwelder

FNG
Does anyone have tips for trying to coordinate with other DIYers? Anyone with experience either meeting up with someone else out west or parterning up and driving out?

I've seen you make a lot of recommendations to people on the forum for guides and that sort of thing. Do you have any guides for CO 1st rifle or MT general that you can vouch for?
I can’t help you there. I do know an old timer down there who always recommends Jeanne Horne at J Bar H. Check it out.

That’s a good sign. At this point in the year I’d have to wonder why any good outfitter isn’t booked up for the year.

If you can draw a tag for 75/751 here in Colorado for the first rifle season, give me a call, I am always looking to find someone to go out into the backcountry with. I am usually going alone which sucks.

I've been working on planning a backcountry DIY hunt in Colorado (1st season) with a friend who has a fair amount of western hunting experience, but due to some life circumstances he's no longer able to go, so I'm now reevaluating my options. I live in Ohio and was planning on driving out with him, but now that those plans have folded, I'm reevaluating the whole scenario. I'm aware that deadlines are rapidly approaching, so I'm trying to come up with a plan.

Main goals for the hunt are to get out in some good looking country, do a backpack hunt, and put an animal on the ground (antlers would be a bonus). I liked the idea of Colorado 1st season as it is slightly earlier in the year and farther south than Montana general, so potentially more bearable weather. Now that it's seemingly unlikely I'll have a friend to hunt with, I'm considering a guided hunt. I think in an ideal world it would be more of a wilderness hunt with more time on foot and away from ATVs and that sort of thing.

Any recommendations to try to help put me back on track would be appreciated. Any recs for reasonably priced guides in Colorado for 1st rifle w/ 0 points, or Montana general rifle? My vacation time is limited (was hoping to take 7-8 days off), but with another person, I thought driving to CO wouldn't be the worst option if we were trying to put two elk in my truck, but maybe now it makes more sense to fly? Maybe it's worth an extra day of driving to give up a day of scouting if I'm going to work with a guide that already has an idea where the elk are? I'm open to options. I just don't want to wait another year to hunt elk.

I'm planning the same but for MT. Since it's my 1st trip and I'll be in Grizzly country, I'm thinking I'll need a partner. If I can't find one for MT, I might turn the tag back in and hunt CO or WY. Hunting pressure will be greater in CO, but if you're willing to pack in, maybe we could figure something out to our mutual advantage... I can't PM yet but if you PM me we could see if it could work out.

Show up and embrace the mountains, they are guna smash you in the teeth, just embrace it. If I were you I’d go to a wilderness area to hunt first. Specifically mountains that were ancient volcanoes. It’ll give you the experience people talk about.

Assuming you don’t have the added element of griz country, you can make a few adjustments to go solo just fine. E-scout tirelessly and narrow it down to a few areas. Don’t fall in love with any of them during the hunt, I.e., be willing to pull the stakes if the area is quiet.

Be prepared for the work of getting that meat on ice. It’s not ideal to hunt near the trails and roads, but you have to be honest with yourself on how much packing you can handle on your own.

Also your call setup is on you. Practice disguising your call to sound a bit more distant than your location as well as light raking.

I have a solo early season archery elk hunt and these are the things I will focus on that I think will help a ton.