2021 Fitness Goals Thread

I thought we should get the ball rolling with a 2021 fitness goal thread as our fitness and nutrition goals are already beginning to filter through our minds. Post your goals here!

For 2021 my goals are:

Continue to limit chewing or kick the habit altogether.

Do not have an energy drink (bang, reign, redbull, etc) or soda in 2021. Both are currently a very bad addiction.

Incorporate morning walks and stretch session into routine even if I'm hiking that day.

Do at least one hour of strengthening workouts a day.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
2021 Goals:

-No beer/alcohol until I kill a bull with my bow.
-Continue with my workouts to improve on my conditioning from 2020. I felt great this last fall and truly didn’t ever feel my conditioning failed me.
-Start Corssfit (This one kind of depends on how the year goes as I don’t currently reside in a place with a box)
-I went into September 2020 around 175 and would like to be around 165 for ‘21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver

FNG
My goals are basically to keep doing what I'm doing - but just do more of it.
- run 1000km, and run first marathon
- climb 100k feet (mountaineering, ski touring and pack training - running doesn't count)
- add body weight/pack weight strength exercises.

I've got 4 mountaineering objectives in the Canadian rockies plus a northern BC sheep hunt, and I'm hoping to be down to 190lb by August.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just want to get my lungs back. Normally I have no issues going 20+ days for elk season and I get better as the season goes on. After that cough I got in February (probably Covid), my lungs haven't been the same since. And then I got a confirmed case of Covid three weeks ago (lost my sense of smell and taste along with most of the rest of the symptoms). They felt really good yesterday for the first time in months so went for a short hike, today they're hurting......literally and figuratively. What can you do............push them harder I guess. :unsure:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hope you feel better 5 miles!
Good stuff!
I actually feel great (outside of the lungs), as my knees have also stopped swelling and hurting with a couple months of rest. The lungs are weird though........all through this last bout of Covid my O2 levels have been 96-98%, I have a full range of lung capacity, but they hurt (pains and burning) and I feel short of breath all the time.......even after taking several deep breaths.

*zap*

WKR
I actually feel great (outside of the lungs), as my knees have also stopped swelling and hurting with a couple months of rest. The lungs are weird though........all through this last bout of Covid my O2 levels have been 96-98%, I have a full range of lung capacity, but they hurt (pains and burning) and I feel short of breath all the time.......even after taking several deep breaths.
That's some scary stuff, I hope it all works out for you soon.

Dang @5MilesBack that's some scary stuff. I don't have any medical insight to lung capacity, so I'll just wish you well. Here's hoping you can whip them back into shape quickly.

I want to get back up to 200 lbs. I dropped to 175 after two major surgeries this summer. My body currently likes to hang out around 180-185 with low body fat (I have a high metabolism still), so that means I'll be trying to lift heavy regularly to add some muscle mass. My legs lost a lot of muscle this year and I want it back.

You seeing a pulmonologist (lung doctor) I’m guessing? Get better buddy.

2021 goals
- keep drinking h20 120oz +16oz per hour worked out
- up to 4 days at the gym
-210 before summer -12/29/20 weight 220; then reevaluate weight loss goal.
- walk more with the family
-take measurements of my self to see inch’s lost too work working out. My pants are falling off but scale has been holding.
-go west in the best shape I can
-start shooting my bow now.
-portion control when eating
-eat more Whole Foods
- be positive from from the grind we are all facing during this pandemic

-my biggest one is Drop DR PEPPER; I’ve cut back to 3 a week. But man I carve them.
That’s a good start.

P Carter

WKR
I did my 2020 self-propelled miles in 2020, which was overall a good thing. Here's what I'm thinking for 2021, subject to adjustment as the new schedules settles in.

Primary goal: Build endurance and strength. Do. Not. Get. Injured.

Numeric goals:
1) 1,500 miles on foot -- running, hiking, walking. I'll likely have several hundred biking miles as well, but I'm not going to count those towards a goal this year. (I did last year.)
2) 100,000 feet of elevation gain on foot
3) 75 "summits" -- not sure what I'll count as a "summit." Mostly my local training hill, which is ~1,000 feet of elevation gain on trails. But when the kids get out of school I'll go the archery range and run/shoot before work. I do an ~8ish mile run with ~1,000 feet of gain there...but it doesn't get to a summit. Might have to count it anyway.
4) 18,000 pushups and 3,650 pullups
5) Settle on a strenght training plan capped with 8ish weeks of muscular endurance training in the summer

We'll see how it shakes out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm coming off a very successful year with my fitness and plan on forging ahead in 2021.

I hit 2020+ miles this past year, but really was a bit of anomaly- several 100-ish mile trips pushed be over the top. I'm going to shoot for 1700 trail miles this year which is more realistic, if get over that- pure bonus :)

I've never kept track of elevation gain, but almost all of my miles racked up include a healthy dose of climbing, so going to shoot for a goal of 250,000'- might be a bit of pie in the eye, but I'll never know until I actually keep track.

I'm going to keep strength training twice a week (sticking with Wendler because it works for me). I've been pushing my chin-up/pull-up numbers of late and have set a goal of three sets of 20 (strict). If I hit that goal, I'll hit the reset button and add a weighted vest.

Best of luck to everyone who posts to this thread!

twall13

WKR
I'm coming off a very successful year with my fitness and plan on forging ahead in 2021.

I hit 2020+ miles this past year, but really was a bit of anomaly- several 100-ish mile trips pushed be over the top. I'm going to shoot for 1700 trail miles this year which is more realistic, if get over that- pure bonus :)

I've never kept track of elevation gain, but almost all of my miles racked up include a healthy dose of climbing, so going to shoot for a goal of 250,000'- might be a bit of pie in the eye, but I'll never know until I actually keep track.

I'm going to keep strength training twice a week (sticking with Wendler because it works for me). I've been pushing my chin-up/pull-up numbers of late and have set a goal of three sets of 20 (strict). If I hit that goal, I'll hit the reset button and add a weighted vest.

Best of luck to everyone who posts to this thread!
With all the hiking you do I'm guessing you'll well exceed 250K elevation for the year, but it is kind of fun to track. I started tracking that one a couple of years ago after seeing @Ross use it as a goal. Having a goal in mind helped push me to do tougher trail runs more regularly this year and I feel it paid off in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I will be continuing on with what I have been doing, set a goal, crush it, next. Body fat % is going down and strength/aerobic capacity/endurance is going up so it is all good. I have been sticking with a lot of gym aerobic on the upright stationary bike to strengthen my knees and it is working, going to phase in treadmill with max incline and hiking and see how it goes. December was 325 miles @ max resistance on the bike in 24 hours. I sit up, chest up/shoulders back and never touch the handlebars. Use kettlebells for ohp & core and a 6' wood pole for upper body stretching while pedaling, maybe 10% of the time on bike. It has really worked out well and time to wean off it to hiking daily which may take till spring but my knees are doing very well, finally.

Good luck to everyone on their endeavors!

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
I really enjoyed my goals in 2020 so I think I'll stick to something similar. I'm going to shoot for another 1,500 trail mails (trail running, hiking, mtn. biking). I'll probably have some specific subsets of goals for running and hiking but I haven't figured that all out yet. I want to get a bit more hiking in this year but I also really like that 1,000 miles of running mark so we'll see how it shakes out. Mountain biking is always more of a bonus/fun category for me than one I set goals for. I think I'll shoot for at least 225K in elevation gain this year, it should be enough to push me a bit but be realistic. If I up my hiking miles over last year it may actually be a low bar to achieve but it's a good place to start. I'm also going to set a goal to run in a trail half marathon again. That was the big goal I missed last year due to Covid cancellations.

Lastly, I've let my diet slip quite a bit over the last few months with the holidays and I've gained a few pounds that put me up to 184 (I was at 174 in August/September. It won't be a big deal to get the weight back off but I'd like to get down under 180 again so I'll start focusing in on my diet and bring the weight down a bit over the next month or so. My body seems to be happiest around the 177-180 range since I'm not a weight lifter and get by pretty well with body weight exercises.

Best of luck to everyone with their goals this year. I look forward to following along as everyone tracks their progress. I always enjoy these threads.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Timely thread for me. Been struggling on how I wanted to do fitness for this next season for hunting season and not getting my ass kicked on the docks this summer. Looked at paying for a program but decided to keep my money and do my own program.

Was thinking StrongLifts 5x5 3x a week, and seeing how heavy I could get things.

Weekly till April:
2x weighted pack hike up a fairly steep trail
2x 5k run for time
2x youtube workout with wife. Probably that Sidney Cummings gal she likes to follow.

Eating:

IF. 16 off, 8 on
Keto~ish.

Not sure where my body weight will end up with the barbell work. In the past it has been frustrating trying to hit a body weight while doing a barbell program. So I am going to stay off the scale.

GabeAK

FNG
1. Quit smoking. Never been a heavy smoker, just enjoy a few when I drink, so...

2. Quit drinking. Multiple daily beers have been a bad habit for a while now and it just isn’t worth it. Bad for the budget, bad for the waistline, bad for overall health and prevents me from getting serious about keto.

3. Get back on keto diet. Always feel my best on this diet. Alcohol usually tempts me off of it and then I start craving sugar again so kicking the booze is definitely key.

4. IF. 16 off, 8 on.

5. Sleep 8-9 hours/night. With our 1yo daughter this was tough for much of last year but her sleep has been regular for a while now so should be doable now.

6. Drink more water. Enough that piss is clear/light yellow. I’m usually good about this except during the work day outside in the winter. Hard to want to drink cold H2O when it’s 0 degrees out.

7. Lose 20 lbs. I’m 5’11, 200lbs. Want to get down to 180 while increasing muscle slightly. Mostly want to be leaner and more efficient moving in the mountains carrying weight.

8. Run a sub 2:00 half marathon.

9. 45 minute murph, unweighted.

10. 12% body fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I want to be able to run 10 miles by Labor Day (I’m doing a little over a mile a day right now and upping it a few tenths weekly). I know for many this is easy but I’ve never been a distant runner and I really think this will help me in the mountains.