2021 Gear for fly in Moose

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I have a moose hunt booked for this fall and going over my gear to cut down on weight and what i typically bring. The style of moose hunt is we fly into a remote lake, have a cabin supplied with many of the essentials you would get in a fly in fishing trip. Much of the time would be spent in a boat calling or on some shoreline with minimal hiking or traveling (Lake is 17km long, River is 12km Long). I'd like some opinions on my current pack list if i am missing something or to switch something out. Temperatures will be anywhere from 30F to 70F

Baselayers
Fuse 200
FL Wick
Total
Mid Layers
Peloton 240
Sitka HW Bottom
Peloton 97 (Camp Shirt)
Total
Jackets
Stormfront Jacket
Axis Jacket
Ptarmigan 850/Kelvin Lite
KUIU Super Down Ultra Vest
Total
Pants
Stormfront Pant
Axis Pant
Kelvin 3/4
Attack (Camp Pants)
Total
Mitts
Merino Glove
Fleece Glove
Guide Glove
Yukon Glove
Superdown
Total
Boots
Hanwag Alaska GTX
Muck Fieldblazer II
Yukon Gaiters
Total

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I could be wrong, but your initial post looks like you are just asking for feedback on your clothing list. If so, then you're probably good to go with what you have because if you're hunting out of a cabin, then I assume you will be able to hang wet clothing over-night to dry. Drop-hunting out of a tent is a different story.

That said, the previous question(s) about waders is right on. There are many different scenarios hunting out of a boat when waders become a necessity...or at minimum something that you really, really wish you had brought.

Now, if your question about a packing list is broader than only clothing, then for me the first step is to be certain of what is already there for sure at the cabin. For example, as mentioned in Vern's post, you definitely want to ask about tarps and a rope come-along since you're primarily hunting from a boat around a lake. I've seen moose jump in a lake to escape when threatened by bears, and I watched one that I shot immediately jump in the lake and within a minute die, floating in the lake...fortunately I had brought a z-drag set-up with me that I had put together and always have with me every year, and we got him out of the lake, butchered and hanging by last light. We would have been SOL without the z-drag and my PR-49HD pack-raft that I also had with me on our two-week tent drop-hunt.

I think you'll get more responses from helpful people here if you are more specific in your question, e.g., gear questions, let people know your weight limitations, etc. However, if your question is only in reference to clothing, then no worries. Have a great hunt, and practice your calling techniques.

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry about the basic question but yes this is strictly for gear only. 4 man flight 100lbs a person cabin and basics supplied in cabin. I have everything else worked out for the group but I'm trying to minimize my gear weight as much as possible and not overpack. Been out for 4 fly outs but the previous fly outs used a turbo otter or caravan so weight was 200lbs per person. Was trying to do bare minimums so I can allow the older guys to pack what they need. I've got our food weighed at 100lbs total, and was hoping to keep my gear around 30lbs with pack. With the above listed im right at 30lbs 6oz. Thank you very much about the detailed reply was very helpful

AkRyan

WKR
All I ever wear is merino base layers (thin or med), kryptek bora pants and jacket, rain gear. Pack hip boots, socks, underwear. If I plan on sitting to glass I will bring a puffy. Having a cabin makes it pointless to pack all the extra clothing since you can get dry at night. Just my thoughts.

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
All I ever wear is merino base layers (thin or med), kryptek bora pants and jacket, rain gear. Pack hip boots, socks, underwear. If I plan on sitting to glass I will bring a puffy. Having a cabin makes it pointless to pack all the extra clothing since you can get dry at night. Just my thoughts.
What would you say to cut back on my list?

AkRyan

WKR
on your list i would probably drop a pair of pants and two pair of gloves.

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
on your list i would probably drop a pair of pants and two pair of gloves.
Thanks. I had some swapping ideas marked on my list depending on when it gets closer and a more accurate weather forecast for the 7 day trip come September.

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I am toying with the idea of leaving my Mucks and Stormfront pants behind and just bringing a good set of chest waders and light weight wading boots. Most of the hunt will be out of a boat on a lake/river system but will be wet in mornings inside the boat and typically traveling because of the waves. I have only ever owned some boot waders in the past and they sure dont breath at all....dont know if i would be colder in waders

AkRyan

WKR
Have you asked the outfitter? He/they might have some recommendations.

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Have you asked the outfitter? He/they might have some recommendations.
He doesn't advertise the hunt we just pay them to fly us in on their plane and use the cabin. Another outfit like this we have used in the past quite a few times had lists but was easily done with 175lbs per person. Thank you

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I think i might have narrowed this down a bit, and will try and do some testing this spring with the setups. Comments would be great. Below is the setup, will be almost entire stationary hunt from a boat/shoreline. I do have my Stormfront set always packed in my bag as well

Temps10C-20C50F-70F
FL Wick
Peloton 97 Top
Kutana Hybrid 3defx
Attack
Temps5C-15C40F-60F
FL Wick
Peloton 97 Top/Bottom
Kutana Hybrid 3defx
Axis Jacket
Axis Pant
0C-10C30F-50F