2021 Gear Performance

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I insulated my kitchen this year and was extremely pleased with its performance. I was tired of wasting fuel simmering food and eating it cold after a few minutes. I have trouble shoveling down food back there even when I’m hungry, so now I can take my time while eating or drinking and enjoy my meals all the way through. It basically adds no weight and costs little to make, but saves me plenty of fuel.

Attachments

• C84C6454-A7B0-4D19-8A89-1AE7C9B101C4.jpeg
    C84C6454-A7B0-4D19-8A89-1AE7C9B101C4.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 180
  • AA8221F6-775E-446A-95D0-A34843EBBFB9.jpeg
    AA8221F6-775E-446A-95D0-A34843EBBFB9.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 1D62DB4A-B0BC-4E24-9DFD-1BF94BE25FE7.jpeg
    1D62DB4A-B0BC-4E24-9DFD-1BF94BE25FE7.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 175
I insulated my kitchen this year and was extremely pleased with its performance. I was tired of wasting fuel simmering food and eating it cold after a few minutes. I have trouble shoveling down food back there even when I’m hungry, so now I can take my time while eating or drinking and enjoy my meals all the way through. It basically adds no weight and costs little to make, but saves me plenty of fuel.

What specifically did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
What specifically did you do?

I purchased some reflective bubble wrap and tape and made cozy's for my pots and a pouch for freeze dried meals. I have a toaks 1100 and 750 which nest together, and for the 1100 ml I made two which can seal the top and bottom to keep the heat sealed in. Everything pictured stores nicely as shown.

I purchased some reflective bubble wrap and tape and made cozy's for my pots and a pouch for freeze dried meals. I have a toaks 1100 and 750 which nest together, and for the 1100 ml I made two which can seal the top and bottom to keep the heat sealed in. Everything pictured stores nicely as shown.

Nice too bad you have to buy so much at a time lol

Tried liner socks for the first time which were amazing. Also sealskin neoprene socks for the cold wet feet that always seem to be around and they worked great. Was worried about blisters but with liner socks they worked perfect.

rodney482

WKR
Worked good

Chilkoot zero bag by SG …A+
Razco holster attached to Marsupisl …A
Phelps elk reeds … A+
Keen hiking boots… B+
Honey Stinger… B- got tired of them
Pro bars ….C+ got tired of them

Lite outdoor stove body bolt kit with spring set up.
Makes assembly a lot easier

Bow carrier on hip belt.
2nd one I've owned. This is great for climbing up vertical slopes to beds, when you may still want quick access to bow, but also need both hands free for dead fall maneuvers , glassing, or trek pole usage.

Military style MRE. Requires way less water, which means I carry less water.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
Which hip bow carrier did you use?

Bow carrier on hip belt.
2nd one I've owned. This is great for climbing up vertical slopes to beds, when you may still want quick access to bow, but also need both hands free for dead fall maneuvers , glassing, or trek pole usage.

Bearsears

WKR
Stone Glacier Chilkoot 15 degree sleeping bag. Its probably the most comfortable sleeping bag Ive ever slept in, plenty warm (if not hot), and big enough to wear more layers for my upcoming late season stuff.

Adding a light wind stopping layer has been a total game changer for me.

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
Sheepfeet for me was the largest improvement. I use to come home and need to sit with my feet in ice water for a few hours a day for a couple of days to get the swelling to calm down. Tried multiple insoles with the same results. A++ for the Sheepfeet. No pain on one of my hardest pack outs on a 10 mile in solo trip. Love the Chilkoot sleeping bag as well. I need to get a good water pump for when the water is to dirty for a steri pen though.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hunted the CO muzzleloader season, camping at 10,500 feet. Loved my Jetboil Flash with the French press coffee setup. Used a Sawyer gravity filter and found it slower than I have patience for. Had an older 30 degree Montbell UL down hugger that the zipper failed on and wasn’t warm enough. First time eating Peak Refuel, that stuff is pretty good.

Randle

WKR
MR pop up 28 with a kifaru belt so much better than have a full frame while hunting.
Hoffman explorer uninsulated boots great traction and support
Used a bow holder on my belt for resting , it was string hanger, will go with a grip hanger next time
Sitka core hooded shirt and SS shirt.
Very comfortable and didn't stink after 4 days .

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
Most of my gear is getting pretty well dialed but I'm always changing a few things out. I'll focus on new to me for this season gear for this thread. A few things have stood out for me this year so far.

Gear that impressed:

-First Lite Corrugate Foundary pants. I have really liked and abused my original Corrugate Guide pants over the years but I was honestly surprised how much more I liked the Foundary pants this year. The hip vents were a revelation as my first pair of pants with this feature and it made a huge difference. I also liked the addition of the knee pads and feel like they hit a sweet spot with the knee pad design. These ones don't bother me as much as the ones in my Sitka Timberlines when walking but they are there when I need them. The hip vents help keep things cool offsetting the added heat trapping of the pads. I really liked these pants.

-Slik CF 624 Tripod. Where I do most all of my glassing from a sitting position this Tripod checks all of the boxes for me. Perfect size, weight and feature set for what I want and plenty stabile for my glass.

-Nunatak Kobuk Down puffy pants. These things are incredibly warm and really extended my glassing time during some blowing, cold sits this year. Jan was awesome to work with and I got a customized pair with exactly what I wanted, including a different fabric option and reinforced knees and seat. Super lightweight and compact considering they are filled with over 6 oz. of down.

Gear I'll be changing out:

-Marsupial No-Mag harness. I actually can't say I really put this through its paces as I sold it without ever taking it in the field. I set it up and found the side bungee catch on the pocket and twang pretty loudly as they release during the opening motion. It only got worse when I put my wind checker and bino mount in the side pockets where I carry them. Maybe it was operator error and I just needed to adjust the way I open the harness but it didn't take me long to decide I liked the Marsupial Enclosed harness I've been using much better so I already sold the No-Mag.

-Trekking Poles. Not really a failure but apparently I need some new poles as mine got hung up and pulled out of my pack and are now lost in some thick brush. I'll have to decide if I want to try something new or buy some more from S&S Archery as I did like how light those were. At least I used them packing a couple bulls before I lost them. Having them for hauling meat is what makes them worth lugging around in my pack all the time.

-Vortex Defender Flip Scope Caps. While better than the Butler Creek ones I've used in the past, these popped open too many times and let snow into my scope lenses this year. The ocular lens cap also popped off the scope completely once but luckily I noticed when it happened and was able to get it back on and cleaned up before it was lost forever. I may try a slip on neoprene cover instead and see how I like it. I worry I'll lose that in the heat of the moment but I don't think I'd have problems with it coming off before I want it to and I feel more confident the scope would be clear and ready to use in any weather conditions.

That's all I can think of at the moment from my newer gear. I'll update as the seasons wind down if I have any new standouts or failures.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

Bow carrier on hip belt.

Which ones did you get?

TX_Diver

WKR
New stuff for this year.

Kryptek Takur Gaiters - Never used gaiters before so cant' compare to other brans, but in the snow these worked great. Long term durability still TBD but good first impression.

Marsupial no mag bino pouch - I like that it doesn't have magnets, and is mostly enclosed, but prefer the smoother/quieter operation of the pouch with magnets as the elastic string would get hung up on my wind checker and whatever I had in the other side pocket. I bought this as my older pouch didn't have the straps on the bottom to attach a bear spray holster too.

Marsupial bear spray holster - I have nothing to compare too as I'd never carried bear spray before, but this seemed to be a great way to carry the spray as I'd have it on even when I wasn't wearing my pack.