2021 Hoyt

Laned

WKR
I don't know. There seems to be a few advantages to the front side piccatinny mount. There's a potential to shave off a few ounces. Could also see an ability to more finely adjust the vertical setting of the sight. And, it could remove any interference for mounting a quiver, which would also get the quiver closer in to the bow. It will be interesting to see if other bow manufacturers start doing the same thing, and which sight companies make adaptable sights.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
I absolutely understand moving the rest a little to fine tune things-not at all opposed to bumping out from spec a little to get the best arrow flight possible. In my case with the ventum, I’ve tried different arrows/spine combos, messed with draw length, anchor, grip, etc. and moved the rest all over hells half acre, and can’t get good arrow flight (compared to other bows I’ve had). Bareshafts and Broadheads always hit left. Can get close, but not good enough.
Hopefully shimming the cams will get me REAL CLOSE. Then I’ll move the rest a tiny bit as needed to get things flying straight
I had the exact same issue with my last prime "last" is the keyword, I told myself I would never go back to shooting a bow with yokes. IMO it was a move in the wrong direction by Hoyt, I love being able to tune the bow to me and not my form to get a bow to shoot. The prime was horrible and the only way to get it fixed was to adjust my grip and add inside grip pressure. (pushing on the inside of the grip with my thumb when at full draw, I think cousins wrote about having to do this when he first started shooting them)

Hopefully moving the shims will make a difference, seems like all of the bow companies are moving to similar cam setups so there must be something to them. I sure will miss the ability to be able to yoke tune to get a bow shooting exactly how I like it. I may be shooting my RX4 for a really long time!!

Good luck and hopefully doing some shimming or messing with arrow spine gets you where you want to be, seems like way more of a PITA than just twisting a yoke leg.

MattB

WKR
My sense is the sight has a lot more leverage against the mounting rail than the more traditional mount to knock it out of whack, that would not make me confident.

Some really good info and insight here, I've been very interested in the Ventum, going to keep following this to see what else comes out...

ncavi8tor

WKR
My sense is the sight has a lot more leverage against the mounting rail than the more traditional mount to knock it out of whack, that would not make me confident.
That is a very interesting observation and one I have not heard before. Makes a lot of sense! I'm thinking the picatinny mounting option may need a year to get the kinks worked out, especially when it comes to strength!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
So I wanted to give an update on my tuning woes-we shimmed both cams over to the right, and lo and behold, things cleaned right up! Bow is shooting as well as anything I’ve ever had. Tested a qad exodus at 40 and was dead on. Actually blew a blade off it with my follow up field point. So yeah, shimming CAN be a pain, but in this (my) case it all worked out. Looking forward getting some time with this rig!

TSAMP

WKR
So I wanted to give an update on my tuning woes-we shimmed both cams over to the right, and lo and behold, things cleaned right up! Bow is shooting as well as anything I’ve ever had. Tested a qad exodus at 40 and was dead on. Actually blew a blade off it with my follow up field point. So yeah, shimming CAN be a pain, but in this (my) case it all worked out. Looking forward getting some time with this rig!
Curious did the shop do all this with you or were you doing it on your own?

jmez

WKR
Trade off with everything. A bit more of a pain at the start but now that you have it set your done. Yokes will require some tweaking over time, shims don't. Change strings with yokes you start over from zero. Change them after it's shimmed and nothing changes.

I'm not sold on shimming but on the fence with yokes.

I've shot Hoyts long enough I can look at the yokes and have them within a twist of where they need to be. I also had to swap the bottom shims on my RX 1 to get it right.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I shot the ventum 33 in 60# over the weekend. Nicest bow I've shot so far. Very impressed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Curious did the shop do all this with you or were you doing it on your own?
Doing at the shop. I don’t have a press yet. But I have an amazing pro shop and they’ve been super helpful to me ever since I started going there. Can’t say enough good things about them

ncavi8tor

WKR
Did they use the black shims on both cams?

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Talked to a shop owner and head tech today on their impression of Hoyt's shim tuning. They said it is ~50/50 on whether they need to swap shims to get the bows they have sold to date to paper tune. They thought the shim system with the Hoyt tool is pretty slick compared to the process for some other manufacturers. They said it takes 3-5 mins on the Hoyts whereas the PSE system is more like 15 mins.

They also said it seems to provide a more "durable" tune than yokes which can require tweaking over time as the cable material creeps.

The new cam system is smooth, nice shooting.

OR Archer

WKR
Talked to a shop owner and head tech today on their impression of Hoyt's shim tuning. They said it is ~50/50 on whether they need to swap shims to get the bows they have sold to date to paper tune. They thought the shim system with the Hoyt tool is pretty slick compared to the process for some other manufacturers. They said it takes 3-5 mins on the Hoyts whereas the PSE system is more like 15 mins.

They also said it seems to provide a more "durable" tune than yokes which can require tweaking over time as the cable material creeps.

The new cam system is smooth, nice shooting.
15 minutes on a PSE if you’re lucky lol. Hate those shims with a freaking passion!

RX5 Ultra. 30.125” DL, 69.1# DW.
535 @ 275
680 @ 245
When I bought it I pestered the shop owner about getting the shim tool and shim kit. He set center shot with the Integrate rest and shot it through paper and so did I and it looked good. He said go shoot it, I don’t think you will need to shim. I told him I always did as I want bare shafts and fletched together at 30 yards and paper tuning is always just a nice place to start. He said the tools and shim kits were on order since he ordered his first bows but nothing yet.
I did not have to shim and bare shafts and fletched are perfect (as perfect as I can shoot) at 30 yards. First time ever for me! Made one slight horizontal change to the rest, just about the width of a division mark, and truthfully it was not really needed but did tighten up the BS and Fletched a bit.
First Hoyt I had been interested in in 10 years and I buy a couple of bows a year.
went with the RX5 Ultra for the 34” ATA and also it puts me on the last setting on the shorter mod which has shown excellent performance on these cams.

JasonR1

FNG
My RX5 is on it's way. I'm excited to try it out. Have heard great things, and of course there are always nay-sayers. Trying to decide on sticking with my proven rest and sights or trying the integrated rest and front mount sights.

Anyone have input on the integrated vs traditional rests?

ZDR

WKR
I have the integrated rest on on my RX4U and really like it. Very streamlined and allows the tightspot quiver to set very close to the riser.