2021 Hoyt

MattB

WKR
I don’t need to do either to know I hate shimming cams lol
I don't disagree, yokes are much simpler. My sense is the vast majority of bowhunters don't know or care that is the method and will shoot as is with fine results.

For guys who tinker, it is definately sub-optimal. Once the shims are properly set, it should one and done though, no?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I don't disagree, yokes are much simpler. My sense is the vast majority of bowhunters don't know or care that is the method and will shoot as is with fine results.

For guys who tinker, it is definately sub-optimal. Once the shims are properly set, it should one and done though, no?

theoretically yes. Unless your string creeps, or elongates. Then your up down tune gets wacky and you have to tinker again. It should only affect the tail up or down but my experience when you twist or untwist cables something moves a little. However alot of time the L or R is minimal and can be cleaned up with the rest at 1/32" because sometimes you cant shim or tophat the cams that little amount. Yoke tuning you can be very precise with and not have to move your rest.

MattB

WKR
theoretically yes. Unless your string creeps, or elongates. Then your up down tune gets wacky and you have to tinker again. It should only affect the tail up or down but my experience when you twist or untwist cables something moves a little. However alot of time the L or R is minimal and can be cleaned up with the rest at 1/32" because sometimes you cant shim or tophat the cams that little amount. Yoke tuning you can be very precise with and not have to move your rest.
Creep, there's a word I haven't seen used correctly in a decade or more

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Im not sure about hoyts threads but 50% or better of mathews zebra strings creep like a mofo. Sad that I buy a thousand dollar mathews and follow it up with an email to a custom string builder......I would replace the string on a hoyt though as well just so I could be more comfortable that the strings wont creep on me and lose tune.

OP
Hoot

Hoot

WKR
I shot the ventum 33, mathews v3 31, and pse carbon stealth today.

I am very impressed with the ventum 33, I wanted to shoot the RX5 Ultra but they did not get the optimized mod. I imagine it will be a shooter though...

So far I am still liking the Prime Nexus 4 the best, followed by the Ventum 33. I do like the idea of a 3 piece set of string and cables on this new cam system, although I wish they still had the yokes on top...

jmez

WKR
No. I’m no longer at the shop.

I'll wait a year on these to see how they perform. I saw the tune chart and in one of the shim configurations they say that cable clearance can be an issue when shimmed that way.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Color me unqualified to comment still. I stopped by a shop a couples miles away that I never go to, but left after 20 minutes of waiting for service.

Zac

WKR
So do you have to have one of the tools in order to change shims. If so that is definitely not easier than Mathews tophats.

Siggy111

FNG
No tool needed to change shims. We are waiting for our kits to come in, along with pricing. I think they should have included the kits with the bow. They don’t cost that much.