2021 Montana Deer Draw Strategy

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
My family has been going out to Montana on and off for a couple decades for deer. For years, you never had to worry about getting a tag. We typically applied for the big game combo with a preference point since there were more tags given there instead of just the straight deer tag.

Well, in 2019 I didn't draw the big game combo tag. I was lucky enough to get an alternate tag the week before we were scheduled to go out.

Moving forward to 2021, I plan on going out with several of my cousins. I'll actually have 3 preference points for this draw (2019-2021). I had all of my cousins buy a preference point last year, so everyone was supposed to have 2 when applying this year.

Here comes the wrench in our plan, two of my cousins backed out, but we were able to get two other cousins to take their place. They however don't have any preference points.

From my understanding, it's going to take 2 preference points to get a tag this year thanks to the slow point creep that's been happening and then I'm sure accelerated last year and then this year with Covid.

I plan on doing a party application with my one cousin (3+1 preference point for an average of 2). What would be the best strategy for the other cousin with 0 preference points? Should he go into the draw with 0? It's my understanding that 25% of the tags are reserved for those with 0 preference points. Should he go for the big game combo? Or would it be better to go for the deer tag instead?

If it's better to discuss over PM's let me know. Thanks for any input.

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
75% of the tags are reserved for the highest preference points. I believe the remaining 25% are drawn without regard to preference points. If you buy the point and don't get drawn in the first 75%, I believe everyone has the same change at the remaining 25%. It can't hurt your odds to buy the preference point.

Reactions: WCB

Wapiti1

WKR
You are aware that you have to apply in 2021 or lose your points? Just checking. Some folks miss that note in the regulations.

As for your dilemma, apply with your cousin that has points as a party. Have the other one apply for deer only, not the Big Game combo. He'll have a better chance of drawing that. The reason is the elk and deer only options are used mostly by guys trying to get an LE permit, and they decline the general tag more often than not, so the turn back rate is higher than the big game combo is.

Jeremy

Erict

WKR
Cousin #2 should plan on shooting does or coyotes and be thankful if he draws a NR deer combo tag. I would buy the preference point if I was him.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
man does it really take two points to draw a mule deer tag for eastern montana now? three years ago we drew just by purchasing the one preference point at the time of buying the license

WCB

WKR
man does it really take two points to draw a mule deer tag for eastern montana now? three years ago we drew just by purchasing the one preference point at the time of buying the license
2 would be pretty much a guarantee...I have never not drawn with 1 point but every year is different.

OP
PSDBowhunter

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone confirm if the 25% of tags go to those with 0 preference points or if it's regardless of preference points? I've heard conflicting reports.

The other strategy is to figure out if more people would be applying for the Big Game combo or just the deer license.

S.Clancy

WKR
Can anyone confirm if the 25% of tags go to those with 0 preference points or if it's regardless of preference points? I've heard conflicting reports.

The other strategy is to figure out if more people would be applying for the Big Game combo or just the deer license.
The 25% go to random draw. Here's how it works. 75% of tags go to Preference Point (PP), so if you have a quota of 1333 tags, 1000 of those would go to PPs. Say you have 500 people with 3 PPs, 250 people with 2 PPs, and 250 people with 1 PPs. In that instance, all the 75% (1000 tags) go to people with some PPs. In this case, all 25% (333 Tags) of the random draw would go to 0 point holders. Obviously if more people have PPs than there are tags in the 75% Preference draw, then it could be where not only 0 point holders draw in the random draw. Clear as mud.