2021 Montana Elk Draw

S.Clancy

WKR
I didn't draw a deer/elk combo...
Guess I'll just have to use my resident OTC tag
Up to 16 points. Anyone know anyone who drew an Elk Horn tag? How many points?

I did get my post season WT buck tag again though!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Even with 16 pts your odds are around 5% for 380.

Will_m

WKR
Is it just me or does it seem like a lot more people (nonres) didn't draw the elk combo this year?

Osubuck

FNG
My friend and I applied as a non resident party for both The Elk Combo and Special Permit draw. We both were unsuccessful in the original general elk combo but I was successful in The Released draw for a General Elk tag but he was again unsuccessful. This doesn’t make sense to us! Can The State of Montana choose to separate parties where the applications were filed correctly? We called the G&F question line and the employee was perplexed as well. He is passing it up the chain of command. This can potentially put hunters in the position of traveling across country to hunt alone in grizzly county. I am thankful to have drawn a tag but trip/hunt is usually much more enjoyable with a good partner.

BuzzH

WKR
I didn't draw a deer/elk combo...
Guess I'll just have to use my resident OTC tag
Up to 16 points. Anyone know anyone who drew an Elk Horn tag? How many points?

I did get my post season WT buck tag again though!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes, not sure on points, but is his second 380 tag since the point system started (Resident) and not a landowner.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those that did not draw get on the alternate ASAP there will be another opportunity according to random assigned numbers and in typical years you may still have a chance even in the 000s.....many are turned back in and things happen one year I got called in November 🤣🤙

TheCougar

WKR
For those that did not draw get on the alternate ASAP there will be another opportunity according to random assigned numbers and in typical years you may still have a chance even in the 000s.....many are turned back in and things happen one year I got called in November 🤣🤙
Can’t sign up yet. I think it opens up mid-May.

HalfmanB

FNG
My friend and I applied as a non resident party for both The Elk Combo and Special Permit draw. We both were unsuccessful in the original general elk combo but I was successful in The Released draw for a General Elk tag but he was again unsuccessful. This doesn’t make sense to us! Can The State of Montana choose to separate parties where the applications were filed correctly? We called the G&F question line and the employee was perplexed as well. He is passing it up the chain of command. This can potentially put hunters in the position of traveling across country to hunt alone in grizzly county. I am thankful to have drawn a tag but trip/hunt is usually much more enjoyable with a good partner.
My buddy’s had a similar experience last year. I’m far from pro and the state regs make my head hurt. But once your party is unsuccessful the party is no longer. So that would make sense how you could get a released tag because essentially that’s the alternates list early run. Even if both of you didn’t draw in initial draw, when you signed up for alternates list you get separate numbers....

HalfmanB

FNG
Maybe someone can help. Boy Montana is confusing.

My 2 person party was successful on the general tag but it says (Released). Unsuccessful in the limited draw.

So did we realease our general tags? Which would be fine because We are in multiple other draws.

Or did we draw a released general tag? Would we be stuck with that tag then?

If we are stuck them I’m sure we will draw New Mexico. Lol.
You drew. You just drew returned tags making you ineligible for permit drawing. It hopefully you get to keep points.

A.Grift

FNG
The worst part about not drawing is not being in the Mountains in September. The second worst part is not being able to spend every idle moment between now and September dreaming about being in the mountains surrounded by screaming bulls in September.

StillBald

FNG
I drew a tag and have yet to hear any official confirmation from MT FWP. Is anyone else in the same boat? When I log in, it's clear that I got a released tag, but I just assumed they'd email me-- or are they sending me a box full of confetti to celebrate with and this is all USPS's fault?

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Rule of thumb is about 300 combos and many more elk only tags go out in the alternate drawing. Last year was far more and they essential were first come first serve by October. This year will probably be more normal. So if you want the best odds - go for elk only.