2021 Montana Elk Draw

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a tag and have yet to hear any official confirmation from MT FWP. Is anyone else in the same boat? When I log in, it's clear that I got a released tag, but I just assumed they'd email me-- or are they sending me a box full of confetti to celebrate with and this is all USPS's fault?
My party drew big game combo according to the website but none of us have received an email from the MT FWP. Not sure if that really matters as long as it shows up on my account online and they mail the tags.

204guy

WKR
My party drew big game combo according to the website but none of us have received an email from the MT FWP. Not sure if that really matters as long as it shows up on my account online and they mail the tags.
Some of you guys must be new to MT. They're so inept that last year you had to print your own tag. Yep regular ol printer paper. Make as many copies as you like, 1 for each day of the week if you want.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted MT before. Even got myself a little bull with my bow. And our group picked up a few nice bucks too.

That was a couple years ago though. So maybe they have run out the bright green tags. Lol.

I have several states where I had to print out my own tag on regular old printer paper. OR was the most recent one. Definitely a little bit different doing that. Even the e-tag options are strange to me. Checking in your animal via a phone app and then just writing down your own info on a piece of paper or tape and attaching to an animal. Seems like some people could game that system for sure.

I like getting the actual tags in the mail. It kind of feels like you have won a prize of some sort. Hahaha.

Feare

FNG
My friend and I applied as a non resident party for both The Elk Combo and Special Permit draw. We both were unsuccessful in the original general elk combo but I was successful in The Released draw for a General Elk tag but he was again unsuccessful. This doesn’t make sense to us! Can The State of Montana choose to separate parties where the applications were filed correctly? We called the G&F question line and the employee was perplexed as well. He is passing it up the chain of command. This can potentially put hunters in the position of traveling across country to hunt alone in grizzly county. I am thankful to have drawn a tag but trip/hunt is usually much more enjoyable with a good partner.

That is what happened to my partner and I except he drew a permit tag that we had been putting in for years and I picked up a general tag. So now if I want to put in the draw tag area I either have to hunt it alone or split the points in half. Doesn't make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

netman

WKR
For the first time in a few years I did not draw a Montana combo. What do I need to do to get on a list for alternates ? I would be happy with a cow tag to.
I’m in Wyoming’s draw and Colorado but don’t expect to draw in either this year.
Help!!!!!

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't draw this year in MT and am now 0 for two on the year. However, i expect to be 0 for 3 when Colorado comes out. I guess I'm applying for sheep tags next, so I won't be drawing any tags this year.

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
For the first time in a few years I did not draw a Montana combo. What do I need to do to get on a list for alternates ? I would be happy with a cow tag to.
I’m in Wyoming’s draw and Colorado but don’t expect to draw in either this year.
Help!!!!!
Getting on the alternate list is very difficult. I’m going to get on but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else...just kidding. If you go to your myfwp site you can sign up for the alternate list once the list opens up. I think it’s available May 15th.

hobbes

WKR
You'll still have printer paper tags this year. The previous machines were old. The paper for the machines that printed out the tags was no longer available and it was going to cost a fortune to replace the system. In addition, you can print them once. A copy won't include the background from the original as far as I know.

There are plenty of folks that would be glad to have that printer paper tag that won't this year.

As a side note, I've bitched about it to every FWP employee I've gotten close to.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
You'll still have printer paper tags this year. The previous machines were old. The paper for the machines that printed out the tags was no longer available and it was going to cost a fortune to replace the system. In addition, you can print them once. A copy won't include the background from the original as far as I know.

There are plenty of folks that would be glad to have that printer paper tag that won't this year.

As a side note, I've bitched about it to every FWP employee I've gotten close to.
If I’m understanding you correctly, only the original printed copy of the tag is valid? Guess I better replace my printer ink before printing them.

hobbes

WKR
If I’m understanding you correctly, only the original printed copy of the tag is valid? Guess I better replace my printer ink before printing them.
That's what I've been told when buying my sons' licenses. I know they only give you one chance to print it when you buy online. The network at work didn't like it so didn't print it. I had to have FWP send them to me.

You can have them reprinted for a fee from what the vendor told us. However, last year a reprint the day before turkey season didn't cost a dime. They still had not mailed them to me the night before season. It may have been because it was a cluster last year and everyone struggled with them.

Bob Wards printed them on waterproof paper for me last year. I'm not sure if they are still doing that.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
That's what I've been told when buying my sons' licenses. I know they only give you one chance to print it when you buy online. The network at work didn't like it so didn't print it. I had to have FWP send them to me.
Good to know. Thanks for the info!

cgasner1

WKR
I took packing tape to mine to water proof it was half tempted to not do anything and let it be there problem but the government doesn’t work that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR

You can have them reprinted for a fee from what the vendor told us. However, last year a reprint the day before turkey season didn't cost a dime. They still had not mailed them to me the night before season. It may have been because it was a cluster last year and everyone struggled with them.

Bob Wards printed them on waterproof paper for me last year. I'm not sure if they are still doing that.
This is incorrect. FWP will absolutely mail you a tag. It will be on regular paper, but they will mail you one. I bought mine when they became available, had all my spring tags and general deer and elk about two weeks later.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
This is incorrect. FWP will absolutely mail you a tag. It will be on regular paper, but they will mail you one. I bought mine when they became available, had all my spring tags and general deer and elk about two weeks later.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You've misunderstood what I've said. You need to read both my posts. I didn't say they wouldn't mail them. I said when you buy them online you have the option to print them or have them sent to you in the mail. I chose to print but it didn't work so I requested that they be mailed. What I did say is that photo copies do not give the same results, so you cannot just keep copying them and you get one chance to print if you choose that option. Also, a reprint at a vendor will require a fee.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
You've misunderstood what I've said. You need to read both my posts. I didn't say they wouldn't mail them. I said when you buy them online you have the option to print them or have them sent to you in the mail. I chose to print but it didn't work so I requested that they be mailed. What I did say is that photo copies do not give the same results, so you cannot just keep copying them and you get one chance to print if you choose that option. Also, a reprint at a vendor will require a fee.
Gotcha, I did miss that in your previous post. I guess the only thing I'll add is that there is no benefit to printing out the tag yourself. Let them mail it to you. If you lose or damage it in the interim just stop by a license dealer and have them reprint one for you. I'm not sure about this year, but last year any license dealer would do that for free because FWP screwed up the system so bad.

hobbes

WKR
Gotcha, I did miss that in your previous post. I guess the only thing I'll add is that there is no benefit to printing out the tag yourself. Let them mail it to you. If you lose or damage it in the interim just stop by a license dealer and have them reprint one for you. I'm not sure about this year, but last year any license dealer would do that for free because FWP screwed up the system so bad.
I probably wasn't clear.

I thought maybe the reprints would be free again like last year since it's just printer paper but the person at Sportsman's said there was a fee. I've not confirmed it by needing a reprint. I don't think the vendors are even used to this set up. Walmart printed my son's in the wrong direction, so instead of each license being roughly 3.5 by 8.5. they were around 2.5 by 5.5 and I could barely make out the watermark.