2021 Montana Elk Draw

I was under the impression you still had to sign-up for the returned tags...is that not true? How do they know to give you a tag if you don't?

For people who apply for LE permits, there is an option to return your general tag immediately for a refund if you don't draw the LE Permit tag you were after. I believe those tags are the (released) tags discussed and the individuals who get them are typically notified in line with the general draw result timing.

There is still opportunity to return tags for a refund for most of the summer and the returned tags that get allocated later come from those buckets that were not returned immediately at the draw when the applicant failed to draw a LE Permit.

In the past it has actually been preferable to draw a released tag rather than be successful in the PP draw because they have let you keep your preference point since you didn't draw in the PP pool. I wonder if they wont close that loophole now that tags are getting harder to come by.

bsnedeker

WKR
For people who apply for LE permits, there is an option to return your general tag immediately for a refund if you don't draw the LE Permit tag you were after. I believe those tags are the (released) tags discussed and the individuals who get them are typically notified in line with the general draw result timing.

There is still opportunity to return tags for a refund for most of the summer and the returned tags that get allocated later come from those buckets that were not returned immediately at the draw when the applicant failed to draw a LE Permit.

In the past it has actually been preferable to draw a released tag rather than be successful in the PP draw because they have let you keep your preference point since you didn't draw in the PP pool. I wonder if they wont close that loophole now that tags are getting harder to come by.

This is 100% correct.

MODrake

FNG
Fingers crossed myself. First time out last fall as a group of four. We were fortunate to be successful with one bull so the fire is now lit for me!

jmav58

WKR
I viewed the Arizona Draw Result thread with amusement thinking, "These guys need to get a life, checking the website every hour waiting for results." I've checked MT fish and game website 5 times today.......not as funny when the shoe is on the other foot.

bsnedeker

WKR
I viewed the Arizona Draw Result thread with amusement thinking, "These guys need to get a life, checking the website every hour waiting for results." I've checked MT fish and game website 5 times today.......not as funny when the shoe is on the other foot.
Only 5 huh? You must have the patience of Job!

fatlander

WKR
You will. That is max pref points for a NR

Not it’s not. I personally know someone that has 3. They changed the regs a couple years ago to allow someone to carry 3 preference points.

However, 2 points will still definitely be a lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not it’s not. I personally know someone that has 3. They changed the regs a couple years ago to allow someone to carry 3 preference points.

However, 2 points will still definitely be a lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went through it last year when I hunted Montana as a NR. I bought a pref point in 2018, 2019, and then one with the application in 2020, and I still only had 2. I called and talked to FWP and they said I could only have 2. Maybe I wasn't grandfathered in...must have started with the 2019 pts.