2021 Montana Goat

Great job and congratulations! Any idea about what you're going to have done with him? I can't tell if you kept the entire hide or just the cape.

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Great job and congratulations! Any idea about what you're going to have done with him? I can't tell if you kept the entire hide or just the cape.

I kept the entire hide, and that’s what my dilemma has been since I got him. I was planning to do a rug with it, and that is how I skinned him. But…. He’s really a great goat for that area, and between that and the nostalgia of hunting that area where I grew up, I think my taxidermist will probably be cussing me as now I’m leaning towards a full body mount. Decisions decisions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Oh yeah…. Plus the wife actually said I should have a full body done with it, so if your wife says that all on her own…. Does a man ever say “no”??! Haha

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
I kept the entire hide, and that’s what my dilemma has been since I got him. I was planning to do a rug with it, and that is how I skinned him. But…. He’s really a great goat for that area, and between that and the nostalgia of hunting that area where I grew up, I think my taxidermist will probably be cussing me as now I’m leaning towards a full body mount. Decisions decisions!

Beautiful, big Goat man. Congrats! And I’m +1 on the full body mount too!

Rcol317

FNG
Classified Approved
Great goat and thanks for sharing your story. Few hunters have a goat story. Congratulations

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Just saw this. Congrats!!
That's an awesome goat. Curious on what he aged?
We aged him at 8 years old. Could be older, but some of the rings we called false. Wouldn‘t be shocked if he was 10 years old, he’s stacking rings up at the skull. Hopefully I can get results back from the lab soon.

Andrew11

Lil-Rokslider
We aged him at 8 years old. Could be older, but some of the rings we called false. Wouldn‘t be shocked if he was 10 years old, he’s stacking rings up at the skull. Hopefully I can get results back from the lab soon.
Well you sure found your mature Billy. Awesome goat for Montana. Congrats again

lamrim79

FNG
Nice work. Beautiful animal. Looks like you were way up high. best hunts are where others fail to go. Happyfor ya. Mountain goat stew maybe??

Figured I’d share a little recap of my goat hunt. I drew a tag in a place that is one of the harder areas to find goats in In the state. Put in a pile of miles scouting, with the goal being just to turn up a mature billy. Couldn’t ever find a mature billy before season, had a hard time just finding goats period, but did find some. Did find one during the season. Went back the following weekend and long story short found this guy.

Without doing a giant write up, this hunt was one of the best I’ve ever experienced, and I’ve had some damn good ones. All the effort, miles, time spent in the area my whole life, having my best hunting partner there, on and on etc…. The way it finally unfolded, couldn’t have wrote it up any more ideal. On top of everything, the billy ended up with 9 7/8” long horn, 9 3/8” short, is haired up great and is better than I could have asked for.

a few pictures……

8fvBPIg.jpg

scNfUcs.jpg

a83nDZp.jpg

bggbBM1.jpg

Pbku7aJ.jpg

tIsgviO.jpg

pfmf4se.jpg

kkuUg5L.jpg

f70Jhfu.jpg
Great hunt!

Docpk

FNG
That is one awesome goat. Wish I was younger and in better shape. Well done.

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Thanks fellas. Dropped the goat off at the taxidermist in early January, “only” an 18 month wait to get him back, but it’ll be worth it.