2021 Montana Non-Res Combo Preference Point Statistics

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
MT NR draw odds using PP will likely follow the order 3, 2, 0, 1 for the foreseeable future. It could possibly go to 3, 0, 2, 1, but in any case I think 1 PP will always be the lowest chance of drawing. Remember, for NR, 75% of licenses go to those with PP, 25% to those with zero PP.

Lastly, MT does not HAVE to change anything, and, frankly, their legislature has made enough changes for now.
I feel this is 100% accurate....would you happen to know if our group goes in with a 1.66 PP average would that really be rounded up to 2 and be put in the draw with 2 point holders? (Licensing dept. told me this but thought that was wrong)

Elk97

WKR
Talked to MFWP today and they told me with one point I had a 34.7% chance of drawing elk combo license. Not sure how he figured it but that's what he said.

Applied with 1 PP this year. I’m counting on WY this year but if I draw MT I’ll withdraw my WY app.

Only reason I applied with a PP vs none is I want to go back to MT in 2023.

Still wondering if applying with 0 points from here on out might be the better and cheaper option in the long run.

Erict

WKR
I feel this is 100% accurate....would you happen to know if our group goes in with a 1.66 PP average would that really be rounded up to 2 and be put in the draw with 2 point holders? (Licensing dept. told me this but thought that was wrong)

If you are applying as a PARTY with PREFERENCE POINTS, they are NOT rounded to the nearest whole number, they are rounded to the third decimal, so 1.667. Those over 1.667 should be drawn before your party. Remember, you are drawing from the pool of combo licenses reserved for NR with ANY PP (75% of total available). Those without any PP are drawn from a separate pool (25%).

BONUS POINTS only apply to LE PERMITS and if applying as a party are rounded to the nearest whole number.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
If you are applying as a PARTY with PREFERENCE POINTS, they are NOT rounded to the nearest whole number, they are rounded to the third decimal, so 1.667. Those over 1.667 should be drawn before your party. Remember, you are drawing from the pool of combo licenses reserved for NR with ANY PP (75% of total available). Those without any PP are drawn from a separate pool (25%).

BONUS POINTS only apply to LE PERMITS and if applying as a party are rounded to the nearest whole number.
Say we go in with 1.667 average PP and draw, what column will we go under when they release draw statistics then since it only shows 0,1,2,3.

Erict

WKR
Say we go in with 1.667 average PP and draw, what column will we go under when they release draw statistics then since it only shows 0,1,2,3.
If your party draws with 1.667 PP I would put you in the "W" column.

If really interested, give them a call. If super interested, file a FOIL/FOIA request for the complete breakdown of #applicants, #PP, #"outfitter" PP, type of combo license applied for and awarded/not awarded. That would be quite interesting.