2021 moose

Tripp238

Lil-Rokslider
That’s awesome. Congrats. I had to back out of my late winter moose hunt this past season but hoping to run into one this year near Eklutna. Not sure if I can do another logistical hard hunt in Alaska after finishing up a mountain goat hunt. But am trying to get out there.
Enjoy the meals to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
n00b Question - How do you go about getting them outta the water like that? Pull with a rope tied to a boat or...???

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
n00b Question - How do you go about getting them outta the water like that? Pull with a rope tied to a boat or...???

Just depends, it’s happened to me a few times. This time was a pain in the ass. We just man handled it inch by inch and got one half off then the other.

TheGDog

WKR
Just depends, it’s happened to me a few times. This time was a pain in the ass. We just man handled it inch by inch and got one half off then the other.
Wait.... so are you saying you deboned it right there in the water?? (You said : "got one half off then the other", wasn't sure how to interpret that sentence)

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Wait.... so are you saying you deboned it right there in the water?? (You said : "got one half off then the other", wasn't sure how to interpret that sentence)

You have to leave it on the bone in the unit I hunt in. Yeah, I cut it apart right there in the water, threw it onto a tarp on the bank and sprayed it down with citric acid before bagging it. There wasn’t a good way to winch it out there but I needed meat so I wasn’t going to wait for a shot. We salvaged all the meat and have it hanging now, no worse for the wear.

TheGDog

WKR
Whoa... that had to have uber-sucked. It's bad enough deboning a damn animal by yourself, can't imagine one that damn big and in the water too. Just manipulating him around had to have been a super serious chore with the moving water messing with ya too!

JPD350

WKR
Congrats!

I've always wondered how much the bacteria in the water effects the meat (mostly marsh water) I assume since you got the meat hanging you feel the citric acid is enough to offset any bacteria, no concerns about any bacteria rearing its ugly head while it's hanging?
My concern if my moose drops in marsh water is that when I bring meat back in totes it will be broke down in plastic bags for at least 3 or 4 days without any guarantee it freezes, wondering if I should spray it down with citric acid in the field and then again as I load it in the bags for the trip home.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Congrats!

I've always wondered how much the bacteria in the water effects the meat (mostly marsh water) I assume since you got the meat hanging you feel the citric acid is enough to offset any bacteria, no concerns about any bacteria rearing its ugly head while it's hanging?
My concern if my moose drops in marsh water is that when I bring meat back in totes it will be broke down in plastic bags for at least 3 or 4 days without any guarantee it freezes, wondering if I should spray it down with citric acid in the field and then again as I load it in the bags for the trip home.

Good question and I don’t have a great answer but I’ve had to deal with water like that before and have not had any issues. If you get it sprayed and bagged quickly and spray it down again before putting it in clean bags I’d say you’ll probably be ok. This one took 2 days to get hung and we aren’t worried a bit.