2021 moose

My hunting party went three for three this year on moose. My bull was 55”, the other two were 48” and 53”. Pack out was my longest yet at right about a mile to get it to the boat. Meat has to come out on the bone in this unit, those hind quarters are heavy! Thank goodness for Barney’s freighter packs!
DB7AF2EE-BB09-4F7E-B2DE-C89884BA3243.jpeg86379E3F-1E41-4ED6-9FA4-39808C5B6FCE.jpegC107B309-7C01-46BA-A3E8-6AAEFEC64D0C.jpeg
I was lucky enough to get a wolverine the following day. It was chewing on the hide from one of my hunting buddies moose.

My hunting party went three for three this year on moose. My bull was 55”, the other two were 48” and 53”. Pack out was my longest yet at right about a mile to get it to the boat. Meat has to come out on the bone in this unit, those hind quarters are heavy! Thank goodness for Barney’s freighter packs!
View attachment 328578View attachment 328579View attachment 328580
I was lucky enough to get a wolverine the following day. It was chewing on the hide from one of my hunting buddies moose.
Thats awesome! I had a wolverine run right up to 30 yards away from me this sheep season, but as it did not open until Sep. 1st I couldn't take him. Good job!

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
This old warrior was missing his left eye and had puncture wounds in his neck from fighting for the ladies. He's just shy of the 60" club at 59".

Attachments

• old one eye 59.jpg
    old one eye 59.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 92
  • bull 2_zoom.jpg
    bull 2_zoom.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 89
  • bull 3.jpg
    bull 3.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 89
I cheeked out an experimental spot for an outfitter friend of mine this year. Ended up seeing 15 different bulls from the ground. Lots of opportunity. Was looking for an absolute tank so didn't fill my tag. The only monster I saw never got closer than 800 yds so he walked. He was into the upper 60's and pushing up hard on 70". Passed this other bull on my last day about 200 yds behind the tent, decided to stick with my guns and hold out for a big one and he wasn't big enough to justify the horrible solo pack from where he was. Planning to head back out west once the December season opens up.

I'm a firm believer in hunting early rut at least in western AK and my schedule didn't get me into the field until the 12th this year. Saw 6 bulls as we circled to land and 5 already had cows. Most bulls I saw on the ground were with cows or chasing cows. They were making a ton of noise, but nothing was willing to leave a cow to check me out. Only called in a few bulls the whole trip. Even bulls with cows within 100 yards would gather their cows and run em off instead of fight.

EDIT: To clarify, I should say I believe in hunting early in areas with very high moose density. Which is where I typically hunt in Western AK. I know someone will call it out with their experience so figured I would get ahead of it. Lots of bulls means find your cows early and protect them IMO. I've only got about 50 days of moose hunting out there, so I guess hopefully I have it figured out in the next decade....

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2165.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2165.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 78
  • thumbnail_IMG_2166.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2166.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 78
  • thumbnail_IMG_2170.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2170.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Thunder

FNG
I cheeked out an experimental spot for an outfitter friend of mine this year. Ended up seeing 15 different bulls from the ground. Lots of opportunity. Was looking for an absolute tank so didn't fill my tag. The only monster I saw never got closer than 800 yds so he walked. He was into the upper 60's and pushing up hard on 70". Passed this other bull on my last day about 200 yds behind the tent, decided to stick with my guns and hold out for a big one and he wasn't big enough to justify the horrible solo pack from where he was. Planning to head back out west once the December season opens up.

I'm a firm believer in hunting early rut at least in western AK and my schedule didn't get me into the field until the 12th this year. Saw 6 bulls as we circled to land and 5 already had cows. Most bulls I saw on the ground were with cows or chasing cows. They were making a ton of noise, but nothing was willing to leave a cow to check me out. Only called in a few bulls the whole trip. Even bulls with cows within 100 yards would gather their cows and run em off instead of fight.

EDIT: To clarify, I should say I believe in hunting early in areas with very high moose density. Which is where I typically hunt in Western AK. I know someone will call it out with their experience so figured I would get ahead of it. Lots of bulls means find your cows early and protect them IMO. I've only got about 50 days of moose hunting out there, so I guess hopefully I have it figured out in the next decade....
A lot of good information in the above post. I hope your hunting partner approved this. For the rookie moose hunters out there you better save this gift before its gone....

Attachments

• 5o0v92.jpg
    5o0v92.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 74

bmrfish

WKR
Looking at all the moose pictures from this year gives me hope. Here is ours from western Alaska this year. We spotted 57 moose but just never saw anything decent. Passed on a bunch of 30 something or smaller bulls and finally on the last day my nephew took this tender meat bull. That’s zero for four moose trips for me but I’m headed back in 2022 to try one more time.
d6d0f920a9f95d8d93ac77f47ff8d848.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Congratulations to all and thank you for sharing!! Moose hunting is an awesome experience...especially calling them up close and personal!

Thankfully, I also had a great experience and successful year!

Last edited: