2021 Newfoundland Moose

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Any recommendations on outfitters for 2021? Got a group of 3-4. How hard is it to get meat back if you fly?

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with Moose Valley Outfitters last year. Had a great time and would highly recommended them. I’m booked again in 2022.
I flew last trip, but plan to drive next time. It cost me $600 to ship the meat to Allentown,Pa. I had to wait till mid December for it to arrive. The waiting sucked.
If you want anymore info PM me.

There is A LOT of great information on here about outfitters. If you just do a little bit of searching you should be able to compile a list of those that have a reputable following and a list of those that are not so reputable. I have found that you do always need to take everything with a grain of salt. What may not have been a good fit for one person, might be a better fit for another. The problem arises when you start to see a pattern. I think that if you just put in a little time and research, you will find the perfect place for you and your crew. There is also a lot of great information that has been discussed over the past few months about shipping meat back. You really do not have anything to worry about. You just need to know that everything takes time to get from NF back to the USA. Once you get that figured out (took me a couple minutes!!), everything else will flow smoothly.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Appreciate the replies thus far. Here are two outfitters I found online that I am also interested in. One thing I really like about them is that you are flown in/their hunting areas are remote. It seems many of the negative experiences I have read about happen with outfitters who are road hunting, and/or are in areas accessible by other road hunters, so I would eliminate that with these outfitters. Does anybody have any experience with either? Feel free to PM

tntrker

WKR
I was about to book with Ironbound Outfitters until a member on here got in touch with me. Talks of only 1 moose sighting in a group of 4, and that meat spoiled, had me look elsewhere. I've been booked the Grand Lake Adventures since early last year for Sept/Oct 2021. Just put in Newfoundland moose in the search box on this forum and you'll find plenty of information...

Sjs52

FNG
Four of went with CONNE RIVER OUTFITTERS in 2018 and we all took a bull as did the other 2 hunters in our camp. I spoke to one of the guides in Harrisburg and they had 76% success last year.

Sjs52

FNG
This year we are hunting out of Tuckamore Lodge owned by Barbara Genge, she was nominated Outfitter of the year last year in Newfoundland. She is in the Northwest Corner of NF, ocean is 1500' from the lodge. They use Argo's and ATV's to access the hunting areas. Her son also has a remote camp.

Four of went with CONNE RIVER OUTFITTERS in 2018 and we all took a bull as did the other 2 hunters in our camp.

I spoke to him extensively at the show. Seemed like a good guy. Another outfitter told me he is relatively new to outfitting... I was discussing Caribou with him.

Four of went with CONNE RIVER OUTFITTERS in 2018 and we all took a bull as did the other 2 hunters in our camp. I spoke to one of the guides in Harrisburg and they had 76% success last year.
Thats good to hear that they had a hunt last year. In 2018 my cousin went on a hunt with them and they had some serious issues with the guides and the lease with the First Nation. It wasn’t a great experience for my cousin and his buddy, but it sounded like there were a lot of things out of his control and it all came to a head when he was hunting that week. The folks at Conne River made things right with them since their hunt was buggered up.

As long as the outfitter made it right, I'd go back. I only had 1 outfitter make it right, and that was a newfi. The owner knew I had a lousy hunt. Didn't see 1 moose, not even a cow... and he made it right.

Sjs52

FNG
We had a great trip in 2018, things must have started brewing later In The month.

Tjwjr89

FNG
I've got nothing but positive things to say about Effords hunting adventures after last years hunt. Getting meat back was a breeze. Cost around $1k for butchering and shipping.