2021 North Slope Utah Archery Elk and Deer hunt

I drew a Utah archery deer tag for the North Slope unit, and was wondering if it would be worth my time to buy the archery elk tag to go along with it when the time comes... They aren't cheap for out of state, and I don't want to lose focus. I have hunted the Wyoming side of the north slope and Uintas/Wasatch-Cache since I was a kid and have had decent luck with elk. I have heard people complain about the elk density in the area and an excess of hunters. I've been told that the herd moves back and forth across the border based on pressure and seasons. The archery hunt coincides for about 3 weeks with Wyoming, so I could border jump too if needed. Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
hutchinsonb
This seems like there would be some input on this from the Rokslide clan!
Yeah I was a bit surprised nobody had any thoughts on it. I think I have my plan sorted for this year. Utah is just about a week out now for archery and Wyoming decided to give me a 2nd elk tag (cow/calf), so I figured the Utah elk tag can wait until next year no need for me to get greedy.

I used to love hunting in utah for muzzleloader, deer and elk overlapped. Downside was the hung on opposite areas, so rarely could you see both.

New member, just seeing this post. Any chance we can get an update on what happened?

I wouldn't be surprised if you ran into Elk while trying to chase Deer on the North Slope, but I wouldn't have expected you to run into any 300" bulls. Just my guess. In other words if I was on a budget I wouldn't have bought the Elk tag as an NR, but if you had the funds for it I think you would have a chance at a bull.

OP
hutchinsonb
New member, just seeing this post. Any chance we can get an update on what happened?

I wouldn't be surprised if you ran into Elk while trying to chase Deer on the North Slope, but I wouldn't have expected you to run into any 300" bulls. Just my guess. In other words if I was on a budget I wouldn't have bought the Elk tag as an NR, but if you had the funds for it I think you would have a chance at a bull.
So I did end up filling the tag. Spent a few days exploring Near Goslin, Sheep Creek/ Hoops Lake area passed on several smaller bucks, saw a few elk here and there which is always nice. Then on a whim ended up just on the Utah side south of my usual Wyoming area towards the end of my available time where I blew it on a really decent 4x4 and eventually took a smaller forkie buck. First mulie with a bow, all previous had been during rifle season on Wyoming. The plan is to go back in 2022 and work towards something bigger if I can draw the tag again. It was really fun to bounce around from the desert to the high country, lots to explore and some killer views. Saw plenty of deer, didn't leave empty handed, and hoping this year shapes up even better! I would give the hunt 10/10

So I did end up filling the tag. Spent a few days exploring Near Goslin, Sheep Creek/ Hoops Lake area passed on several smaller bucks, saw a few elk here and there which is always nice. Then on a whim ended up just on the Utah side south of my usual Wyoming area towards the end of my available time where I blew it on a really decent 4x4 and eventually took a smaller forkie buck. First mulie with a bow, all previous had been during rifle season on Wyoming. The plan is to go back in 2022 and work towards something bigger if I can draw the tag again. It was really fun to bounce around from the desert to the high country, lots to explore and some killer views. Saw plenty of deer, didn't leave empty handed, and hoping this year shapes up even better! I would give the hunt 10/10
That's awesome! Do you think you'll get an Elk tag this next time? Or just stick to deer?

I'm still trying to decide on this. I'm leaning towards getting the elk tag this year just in case, but that ultimately depends on finances.
Let me know if you get the elk tag as I could point you to some spots to try in the north slope