2021 NWT

Cirrus

FNG
Anybody going to NWT sheep hunting when the border opens? I need to be in Norman Wells on August 14th. Would love to discuss travel plans with others who are going. Stressful enough planning international trips when things are normal. Want to make sure all my bases are covered, outfitter is pretty nonchalant about it.

Thanks

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
If you connect in Toronto coming from the US, be advised that you will have to get ALL of your stuff from baggage claim including firearm, prior to getting in line for customs. The airport staff there are useless and will give you bad info every time, don't ask them anything except maybe where the nearest bathroom is. Your firearm case and any coolers will not come out on the regular carousel. Go over to the side where the sporting equipment/bulky items are dropped.

If you connect in Toronto coming from the US, be advised that you will have to get ALL of your stuff from baggage claim including firearm, prior to getting in line for customs. The airport staff there are useless and will give you bad info every time, don't ask them anything except maybe where the nearest bathroom is. Your firearm case and any coolers will not come out on the regular carousel. Go over to the side where the sporting equipment/bulky items are dropped.
x2
I made this mistake. I was told by the gate agent in Detroit that my bag would see me at my final destination and would need to check my gun in Toronto. Big mistake on trusting the agent. I should've known better as well. I had my gun when I arrived in NF, but no luggage until the end of my trip.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Try to avoid Air Canada if possible. Make sure you have your Paperwork in order to bring your rifle into Canada and then returning it back to the United States CBP form 4457. Better to take care of it before you go to the airport and have it signed off on it makes it a lot easier, Usually the CBP office is not located at the passenger terminal. Carry a copy of the regulations (Specific airline regulations, Canada regulations and US TSA regulations sometimes there will be a conflict between those three) with you in case the gate agent wants to argue. And like everybody else said give yourself enough time to clear customs when you’re bringing your firearm through otherwise you may miss your flight that happened to us on our way up to BC.

OP
C

Cirrus

FNG
Thanks. Good info. I'm meeting with a travel agent tomorrow, hopefully they can help weed through some of this too. I think I'll hold off on tickets to see if border really is going to open! Going into it this planning on it being a cluster.
What's the best connection into norman wells? I'm originating out of SD -- thinking Edmonton??

awilder

FNG
Im in ND and am booked into Norman Wells, arriving on the 23rd of August. Overnight in Edmonton on the way up and back. United from here to Denver, then Air Canada to Vancouver then into Edmonton. Would have preferred to avoid the Vancouver detour but I think options are limited at this time so I'm just gonna roll with it.

SLA

FNG
A,
hopefully You have a bit of a layover in Vancouver, been thru several times over last several years and every time it’s a hassle. Good luck enjoy the Mackenzie’s!

Thanks. Good info. I'm meeting with a travel agent tomorrow, hopefully they can help weed through some of this too. I think I'll hold off on tickets to see if border really is going to open! Going into it this planning on it being a cluster.
What's the best connection into norman wells? I'm originating out of SD -- thinking Edmonton??
You can only get there via Edmonton and Yellowknife.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
OP
C

Cirrus

FNG
Any reason not to drive to Edmonton?? Flights are so messed up the time is about the same. I can get one round trip ticket from Edmonton to norman wells! That way when the border doesn't open I only have one flight to deal with. Thoughts? Any restrictions due to covid that would affect driving vs flying?

I finished booking last night.
American Airlines, DFW<->Calgary
WestJet, Calgary<->Edmonton
Canadian North, Edmonton<->Norman Wells

When I went up back in '15 it was actually cheaper for me to go to Calgary then overnight in Yellowknife then on to Norman Wells. I don't know why that option isn't brought up more, seems like everyone always recommends going through Edmonton. The world was also a different place back then though compared to what is going on right now.

There were a couple guys out of California that were up there with me at the same time. They drove to Edmonton like you mentioned then flew from their so that they could bring some of their meat back home with them. So that is definitely an option.

Trial153

WKR
Keep an eye on your airline app for flight changes. My flights to Calgary have been changed twice since I booked. Luckily the airline been great with changes and upgrading me… that said I have no confidence that my reservation is going to stick till then.
Another thing I did was add an extra day on each end as couple more nights in a hotel is work the price for some leeway…

OP
C

Cirrus

FNG

Man just can't catch a break on this trip.
Read the strategies section, should be interesting!

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I drove up to Edmonton then caught Canadian North from there with one stop in Yellowknife.

I'd pay the extra for the flexible fare ticket so you can change your flight if you get done early. Almost everyone in our camp (Canol Outfitters) shot their sheep early in the hunt and went home early.

Driving to Edmonton assures your rifle is with you and ready to go and then you just have to check it once.

There is a hotel connected to the airport in Edmonton that is handy as heck to stay at and a good, secure long-term parking lot right there.

OP
C

Cirrus

FNG
I drove up to Edmonton then caught Canadian North from there with one stop in Yellowknife.

I'd pay the extra for the flexible fare ticket so you can change your flight if you get done early. Almost everyone in our camp (Canol Outfitters) shot their sheep early in the hunt and went home early.

Driving to Edmonton assures your rifle is with you and ready to go and then you just have to check it once.

There is a hotel connected to the airport in Edmonton that is handy as heck to stay at and a good, secure long-term parking lot right there.
Awesome, thanks for the info. That is exactly my plan just made reservations at that hotel with the long term parking option. Sounds like the canadian CBP reached a contract agreement too.

buzzy

WKR
Following and will be interested to hear how the travel goes as I’m supposed to be heading to Norman Wells in September. Thanks