2021 Rockslide spring bear hunt?

Big Dunc

FNG
I've only been a part of the forum for a little while but noticed that there was a 2019 Rockslide spring bear hunt. Did I miss the 2020 hunt? Where is the 2021 hunt going to be?

Sturgies

FNG
A friend and I are strongly thinking over making spring 2021 our first bear trip. Be coming from the Midwest and have been reading over material on this site and others.

Leanings towards a spot and stalk style hunt, good with either a backpacking a ways or more of a truck based hunt.

Elkhntr08

WKR
What state are y’all looking at? My spring plans right now are to head into the Medicine Bow mid May until the end of season.
Sturgies, what part of Illinois are you in?

Sturgies

FNG
We have read up on Idaho and are looking into MT and WY next. We struck out on Elk this year and itching to get back out west.
I live around the Carbondale/Marion area. What about you?

LightFoot

WKR
I've only been a part of the forum for a little while but noticed that there was a 2019 Rockslide spring bear hunt. Did I miss the 2020 hunt? Where is the 2021 hunt going to be?
I am planning a Spring Bear hunt with my hunting partner. We haven't set a date or location yet.

I'd be interested in a discussion.

Facebook groups are a good way to put together a hunting group.

>>>----JAKE----->

Laramie

WKR
What state are y’all looking at? My spring plans right now are to head into the Medicine Bow mid May until the end of season.
Sturgies, what part of Illinois are you in?
Have you researched the Medicine Bow? I'm not sure that should be a guys first choice...

Elkhntr08

WKR
Got a buddy that lives in Hanna. He and his dad want to jump on board. Should help stack the deck.
I hunted last year outside of Alpine with little sign and zero sightings. Don’t believe it closed for either season. Unit 8 was closed in October last year.
Open for suggestions if you’d be willing to share.

OP
B

Big Dunc

FNG
I did Idaho this year and had a blast! I will definitely be going back. I'd be really interested in montana or another state as well. This year in idaho I had a basecamp at the truck and then hiked out into roadless areas from there for spot and stalk.

NickyD

FNG
Have you researched the Medicine Bow? I'm not sure that should be a guys first choice...
In southern WY? I’ve never been bear hunting (and never actually seen one in the wild) but sounds like a lot of fun. I’d be interested if within reasonable driving distance of CO

Laramie

WKR
In southern WY? I’ve never been bear hunting (and never actually seen one in the wild) but sounds like a lot of fun. I’d be interested if within reasonable driving distance of CO
Read my post again. I don't think the medicine bow is a good choice for a bear hunt. There are some there but there are a lot better destinations to pursue bear.

TNTBR

Lil-Rokslider
Will be up in MT for a week in May, once we get closer to knowing snowpack conditions we will harden the timeframe but anticipating first or second week.

Grecco

FNG
I would be interested in meeting up to do a bear hunt. I tried it a couple of years ago in Utah and had no luck on the harvest objective hunt.

Sturgies

FNG
We likely won't have too much flexibility in dates and in turn snow pack and access. So needing a unit that offers some flexibility kf we go a bit early in the season or simply go latter in the year.
Idaho seems like the logical choice for us right now. First timers for bear so if a place has a few more to offer and chances at some stalks, that would be ideal.
Going to shift thru the baiting and hound units and regs thoroughly as well

mooster

WKR
I’m still fighting to get my Forest service cabin reservation fees refunded from this year. The FS cancelled all reservations but kept my money. Had planned to do a spring hunt in Kootenai NF from a FS cabin. I hope to do it this year without the Kungflu screwing it up again.

I’m still fighting to get my Forest service cabin reservation fees refunded from this year. The FS cancelled all reservations but kept my money. Had planned to do a spring hunt in Kootenai NF from a FS cabin. I hope to do it this year without the Kungflu screwing it up again.
I have heard that a couple times...

nvarcher

FNG
Would possibly be interested in this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did Idaho this year and had a blast! I will definitely be going back. I'd be really interested in montana or another state as well. This year in idaho I had a basecamp at the truck and then hiked out into roadless areas from there for spot and stalk.
Big Dunc, I'm looking at a first trip to Idaho this spring, April 30-May8. Can you advise what time period you were there and what the snow was like? My main concern is scouting an area and then arriving and finding the roads to the trailheads are still unpassable.

OP
B

Big Dunc

FNG
Big Dunc, I'm looking at a first trip to Idaho this spring, April 30-May8. Can you advise what time period you were there and what the snow was like? My main concern is scouting an area and then arriving and finding the roads to the trailheads are still unpassable.
I was planning on leaving may 15th but delayed a week due to HEAVY rains. I was at 5300' and shouldn't have had a problem. One thing I used a lot being out of state was the road cameras. They say the elevations on them and have the image updated multiple times a day. I've called the forest service office before too.

I was planning on leaving may 15th but delayed a week due to HEAVY rains. I was at 5300' and shouldn't have had a problem. One thing I used a lot being out of state was the road cameras. They say the elevations on them and have the image updated multiple times a day. I've called the forest service office before too.
Can you point me to the site you use for road cameras? That's an excellent idea.