2021 Rokslide Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

Shooting the first outdoor 3D of the year on the 17th. Hopefully there is still a spot available on the 18th. If not I’ll probably play along side the challenge anyway. I’ll probably reign it into 65 this year as I changed a ton of stuff this year to help with some bad shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t wait. Last year I used Sevr’s at 50yds, and this year plan to use fixed blade valkyries at 60yds . The nerves before you sling expensive broadheads at long range at a small target is the next closest thing to shooting at a real animal that I’ve found. Makes my hands sweat just thinking about it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can’t wait. Last year I used Sevr’s at 50yds, and this year plan to use fixed blade valkyries at 60yds . The nerves before you sling expensive broadheads at long range at a small target is the next closest thing to shooting at a real animal that I’ve found. Makes my hands sweat just thinking about it.

ya, nothing like flinging $50-$60 bucks to the wind

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I believe i set my MER too far last year at 80 yds , is it ok to bump it up to say 60 yds , I believe that’s more realistic for my capability in a hunting situation, thanks

Fatcamp

WKR
I believe i set my MER too far last year at 80 yds , is it ok to bump it up to say 60 yds , I believe that’s more realistic for my capability in a hunting situation, thanks

Oh ya, that's kind of the point. Robby has shared that his MER has decreased since starting this challenge.

ZMT588

Lil-Rokslider
I may be in this year at 50. Maybe even 60. Haven't even set a pin for that yet. Just picked up archery in February. Should be fun!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
2dfc1585a8bf52fa159e07bafbf35c2b.jpg

With no archery tag last year, first time in almost 20 years, this is the longest I’ve laid off of bow in about that long.

Didn’t shoot from August until about two weeks ago. I’ve only got about 150 arrows down range and I’ve been practicing for this challenge.

So far, not doing very well.

I was going to go with 55 yards like I did last year, but the last two mornings shooting before work with my own cold bow challenge attempt, I’ve missed on the first arrow both days.

And like it usually is, nail it on the second arrow.

But that’s why this challenge has been so effective for me, as it really duplicates Hunting where are you only get one shot and you better be ready. Here’s today’s fiasco

Cold bow:
0b1a5e746a99bbe5caed24825db534b2.jpg

2nd arrow:
f71ea95e2a006df8abde274a1306d465.jpg

This is with an Ironwill broadhead.

Any of you other guys running through your scenario yet? We got about 10 more days to get ready.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider

With no archery tag last year, first time in almost 20 years, this is the longest I’ve laid off of bow in about that long.

Didn’t shoot from August until about two weeks ago. I’ve only got about 150 arrows down range and I’ve been practicing for this challenge.

I was going to go with 55 yards like I did last year, but the last two mornings shooting before work with my own cold bow challenge attempt, I’ve missed on the first arrow both days.

But that’s why this challenge has been so effective for me, as it really duplicates Hunting where are you only get one shot and you better be ready. Here’s today’s fiasco

Cold bow:

2nd arrow:

Any of you other guys running through your scenario yet? We got about 10 more days to get ready.

Yes, scooting my MER up to 55 yds as well , was going to do 60 but to be productive I need to work on splitting pins , we’ll see how she goes , I feel like I have trouble with my Windage while focusing on splitting pins ,

Cold bow:

2nd arrow:

I’ve been shooting a broad head for my first arrow the past couple weeks. Bumping up my MER a bit this year...no excuses now that I have a 100 yard range in my backyard!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been shooting a broad head for my first arrow the past couple weeks. Bumping up my MER a bit this year...no excuses now that I have a 100 yard range in my backyard!!

100 is nice to have.

Only thing I have setup for a broadhead right now is my Widow.

I have a 3d shoot this weekend that I'm using my hunting bow in, once that's over I'll change back over to my hunting arrows for a couple of weeks of turkey season, then back to 3d arrows by the first of May. Unknown yardages I'm shooting my hunting bow. Known distance I use my target bow.

Actually have my backup bow hanging with everything but a sight on it. Maybe that's what I should use.

Got a few days yet to think it over, well procrastinate.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm starting to worry that I'll have to use my Diamond Infinite Edge for this thing if my GAS strings don't come this week! I haven't been able to shoot since my bow blew up in January and need to get some reps in. I pulled out the Diamond this weekend and it's even more horrible than I remember...the "back wall" has like 2 inches of travel!

Fatcamp

WKR

Cold bow:

2nd arrow:

Shooting every day I can, and first shot is always at distance. Last couple of days went well.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm starting to worry that I'll have to use my Diamond Infinite Edge for this thing if my GAS strings don't come this week! I haven't been able to shoot since my bow blew up in January and need to get some reps in. I pulled out the Diamond this weekend and it's even more horrible than I remember...the "back wall" has like 2 inches of travel!
nothing like the CBC to kick bow prep into high gear. It's helped me get ready a few months earlier on the years I haven't shot year round

I’ve been doing the same as you guys, trying a practice broadhead arrow first and second shot to test what’s realistic. So far 60yds has hit every time so I’m hoping I can push to 70yds before the challenge fingers crossed I don’t fall apart .

The red nocks below are my broadheads, vented LR and solid Valkyrie 180s. SUPER happy with the new vented blades so far.
a9c9295a9063ed1be90b32b6a520cf11.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been doing the same as you guys, trying a practice broadhead arrow first and second shot to test what’s realistic. So far 60yds has hit every time so I’m hoping I can push to 70yds before the challenge fingers crossed I don’t fall apart .

The red nocks below are my broadheads, vented LR and solid Valkyrie 180s. SUPER happy with the new vented blades so far.
a9c9295a9063ed1be90b32b6a520cf11.jpg

nice shooting man

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
All right, came together this morning. First arrow in the vitals, 55 yards.

712a14f3301be6a7e3c1c468f223d0ed.jpg

My plan is to really get my arrow count up this weekend. I think my biggest problem is I’m just rusty.

Last edited: