2021 Rokslide Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

Randle

WKR
Day 5 done, I seem to lose focus and I see why 50 yards is better for me, 60 would only be a follow up shot for a second arrow if that is needed.
Thanks again Robby, sponsors mods and Rokslide. I learn every year from this

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Finally done and it's been an eye opener. As stated in the other thread, I hit a similar target during practice and then only go 1/5.

IMG_1320.JPG
This was my last practice/sight in session at 60 yards before starting the one shot contest. Yes there is one flyer, but I knew that as soon as I released it. To shoot this and then go 1/5 is truly humbling.
From now on, my first shot will always be at MER just to simulate this contest and hunting.
Thanks for having this contest Rob and I'll be in next year.

TX_Diver

WKR
Finally done and it's been an eye opener. As stated in the other thread, I hit a similar target during practice and then only go 1/5.

View attachment 285452
This was my last practice/sight in session at 60 yards before starting the one shot contest. Yes there is one flyer, but I knew that as soon as I released it. To shoot this and then go 1/5 is truly humbling.
From now on, my first shot will always be at MER just to simulate this contest and hunting.
Thanks for having this contest Rob and I'll be in next year.

I stacked a broadhead and 2 field points literally touching each other at 50 the night before it opened. I also went 1/5. I need to stop shooting the night before apparently. Used up all my good shots!

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
I stacked a broadhead and 2 field points literally touching each other at 50 the night before it opened. I also went 1/5. I need to stop shooting the night before apparently. Used up all my good shots!
My practice/sight in shots were all field points. Putting the BH on made a huge difference. I need to experiment and practice with the BH more - maybe try a different brand.

My practice/sight in shots were all field points. Putting the BH on made a huge difference. I need to experiment and practice with the BH more - maybe try a different brand.

Did you broadhead tune?

Broadheads will fly with a fieldpoint, if tuned. But don't expect to screw them on and go. Need to spend a little time with them and fine tune everything.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I love getting all this feedback from everybody that shot. And it reminds me, that the pressure is real. Even before I started posting this stuff on the Internet, when I would step up and commit to only shooting one arrow, it was always more difficult. Glad most you guys are walking away with something learned. Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
I love getting all this feedback from everybody that shot. And it reminds me, that the pressure is real. Even before I started posting this stuff on the Internet, when I would step up and commit to only shooting one arrow, it was always more difficult. Glad most you guys are walking away with something learned. Thanks for the feedback

Is this full?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last summer I was putting five arrows into a 6" target at 80 yards. I shot five arrows and realized that I should have been shooting all winter. I killed my first archery bull (WY general hunt, unit 37) last year at 68 yards. It was the toughest 14 day hunt I've ever been on. Hiked over 150 miles in two weeks and then finally found elk. This bull was fighting with another bull. A cow called from behind them, which caused them to split up for a second, which ended up giving me a quartering away shot. I can't even begin to describe the excitement that ensued when I finally pulled my bow back on a bull. Perfect shot, it went maybe 30 yards!
1619156555306.png

My 52 yard MER would not have killed an elk last fall.

1619156619905.png

Last edited:

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Did you broadhead tune?

Broadheads will fly with a fieldpoint, if tuned. But don't expect to screw them on and go. Need to spend a little time with them and fine tune everything.
I just got this setup put together and I did not have time to BH tune - and it shows. Once I get done with TAC SE next weekend I'll start to work on BH tuning and testing.

My first shot today (not for the CBC, but at my MER) was still a kill, but barely in the zone. And my shooting was generally poor today. More validation that 5 days without practice is not healthy for stickbow skills. I have the ability to make it work for 5 days, but it's not a good position to be in. Thanks again @robby denning and the rest of the Rokslide crew for putting this on every year. I learn something new every time I participate.

Gorp2007

WKR
And that’s a wrap for me, 4/5 on the whole with a definite rightward trend. Sent another couple dozen arrows chasing center, figured out it’s my release elbow not pulling straight back. Now to go put in the reps to build the correct muscle memory.

Thanks to all the admins who help herd all us cats. I hate it while it’s happening but I always learn a lot!

Last edited:
2/5 For me. Holy crap, this was a good challenge and very humbling. I realized that while shooting groups I make the appropriate tweaks shot to shot, but one arrow downrange a day and I lose the finer points in my shot routine that make shots drill at deeper distances. Wish more folks would do this challenge before hunting!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My first shot today (not for the CBC, but at my MER) was still a kill, but barely in the zone. And my shooting was generally poor today. More validation that 5 days without practice is not healthy for stickbow skills. I have the ability to make it work for 5 days, but it's not a good position to be in. Thanks again @robby denning and the rest of the Rokslide crew for putting this on every year. I learn something new every time I participate.

Thanks Trumpkin. Seems listening to you and other traditionals that it’s more perishable than compound shooting.