2021 SD Turkey Hunt

xcutter

WKR
I've been considering trying to go to SD for spring turkey this year. I'm really confused on how to buy an out of state license to hunt. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

jmez

WKR
For the Black Hills you just apply for the license online. The tags are guaranteed but you can't buy them over the counter.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

NYBowhntr

FNG
Chett09 i was wondering where you stayed and then how far did you drive to find turkeys. Im willing to move around wherever we need to. Of course being on the east coast all I can do is Escout. As of right now i have vacation for the last week of April and from what i can see snow may be an issue. I May be able to change my vacation into May if it would be best. I was going to stay in Hill City and go from there.

Chett09

FNG
Chett09 i was wondering where you stayed and then how far did you drive to find turkeys. Im willing to move around wherever we need to. Of course being on the east coast all I can do is Escout. As of right now i have vacation for the last week of April and from what i can see snow may be an issue. I May be able to change my vacation into May if it would be best. I was going to stay in Hill City and go from there.
Hill City would be a good place to start. We actually camped in the park so we could stay near the turkeys once we found them. Last year the public camgounds with showers and electric where closed due to covid but after some research we found you can pretty much camp wherever. Most all the towns in the black hills have hotels or lodging. Before we decided on camping we looked into Air b&b and found some nice places to stay for about the same price as a hotel.

NYBowhntr

FNG
Hill City would be a good place to start. We actually camped in the park so we could stay near the turkeys once we found them. Last year the public camgounds with showers and electric where closed due to covid but after some research we found you can pretty much camp wherever. Most all the towns in the black hills have hotels or lodging. Before we decided on camping we looked into Air b&b and found some nice places to stay for about the same price as a hotel.
So how do merriams compare to easterns? Where you able to get on turkeys? I have chased elk in wyoming for years now. I am excited about trying to hunt merriams out west its a bucket list item and my daughter has taken a big interest in turkeys. She passed on hunting antelope this fall to hunt turkey. No turkeys where we elk hunt so I am starting from scratch with turkeys.

Fatcamp

WKR
My limited experience would suggest to find long ridges then walk and call. Obviously look for gobbles at sundown to get a general area first.

Chett09

FNG
we were able to get on turkeys. it is turkey hunting in elk country so be ready for a workout. Merriams seem to move with purpose and cover a lot of ground. it was hit and miss on them reacting to the calls. the best thing that happend was a passing thunderstorm right at dark. everytime it thundered the woods erupted with gobbles so we knew we had em! it was an awesome experience. cant wait to get back again this spring!

cwayne3

FNG
Got my Black Hills tag. I'm excited to get a crack at them. This is my first time traveling and hunting the black hills of SD. My question is where to start? I plan on camping and staying in a tent but not sure where to even start. Id like to be away from any town/city can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been killing thunder chickens here in OK and TX since I was nine.

KurtR

WKR
Got my Black Hills tag. I'm excited to get a crack at them. This is my first time traveling and hunting the black hills of SD. My question is where to start? I plan on camping and staying in a tent but not sure where to even start. Id like to be away from any town/city can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been killing thunder chickens here in OK and TX since I was nine.
there is not any where in the hills that are really away from a little town and roads all over. With that said there are not that many people out there hunting turkeys so its not hard to not see people

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Currently have a trip booked the weekend of April 17th - just curious if I have this timing right or if I’m better off going the weekend of the 8th or 15th of May based on bird behavior/weather? We’re okay with hunting in the snow, but if the birds don’t cooperate early on then we might want to reschedule? We booked an AirBnb in the Hill City area - any thoughts on this too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Currently have a trip booked the weekend of April 17th - just curious if I have this timing right or if I’m better off going the weekend of the 8th or 15th of May based on bird behavior/weather? We’re okay with hunting in the snow, but if the birds don’t cooperate early on then we might want to reschedule? We booked an AirBnb in the Hill City area - any thoughts on this too?

It’s a crap shoot with the weather could be lots of snow or hot and dry never know out there. The last year I went was middle is may and we had snow and it was wet all weekend. I think you pick a weekend and go then deal with that ever happens. Year before I went end of April and it was hot and dry so you never really know

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I was there last year second week of May- was going to stay a week but it poured rain two days so I left. Was solo so I was going insane just sitting in my truck and the roads are about impassable when wet. I was able kill one my first day at 1pm during a bit of a dry spell. Fun times, saw more elk then turkeys. I’m my experience they gobbled just fine once down off the roost- the day I killed I logged 8 miles and that was by 1pm. They never seem to stop moving

cwayne3

FNG
Sounds like just go and hope you get decant weather. I still haven't nailed down dates yet myself.

jmez

WKR
Weather is a complete crapshoot until June 1st. Winter does not end until June.

hobbes

WKR
The chance of snow decreases as the season progresses, but you can still get snow anytime through the season. If you are playing the odds and wanting to miss the snow, later is better. I've hunted the Hills once but it's no different than anything here in the West as far as weather goes. Spring time is just a gamble as mentioned above.

I've killed and called in a lot of Merriam's since moving West 15 years ago. The bird I killed in the Hills acted like any other Merriam's I've killed in CO, NE, or MT. If you kill Easterns, you can kill Merriam's. The difficulty that some folks have is recognizing the need to cover ground and find birds. If you are accustomed to covering ground and calling in big blocks of public land, you won't have a problem. If you are used to popping up a decoy on the back 40 and yelping every 20 minutes from one spot all morning, you better plan to make some adjustments. You may kill a Merriam's that way but your chances are slim.

There is nothing wrong with patience, but use it once you have found and are working a bird. Locating birds is the name of the game with big country Merriam's.

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
The chance of snow decreases as the season progresses, but you can still get snow anytime through the season. If you are playing the odds and wanting to miss the snow, later is better. I've hunted the Hills once but it's no different than anything here in the West as far as weather goes. Spring time is just a gamble as mentioned above.

I've killed and called in a lot of Merriam's since moving West 15 years ago. The bird I killed in the Hills acted like any other Merriam's I've killed in CO, NE, or MT. If you kill Easterns, you can kill Merriam's. The difficulty that some folks have is recognizing the need to cover ground and find birds. If you are accustomed to covering ground and calling in big blocks of public land, you won't have a problem. If you are used to popping up a decoy on the back 40 and yelping every 20 minutes from one spot all morning, you better plan to make some adjustments. You may kill a Merriam's that way but your chances are slim.

There is nothing wrong with patience, but use it once you have found and are working a bird. Locating birds is the name of the game with big country Merriam's.

Thanks for all the info!

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Weather is a complete crapshoot until June 1st. Winter does not end until June.

That in mind, we’re going to take our chances in April