2021 SD Turkey Hunt

NCHunt29

FNG
So how do merriams compare to easterns? Where you able to get on turkeys? I have chased elk in wyoming for years now. I am excited about trying to hunt merriams out west its a bucket list item and my daughter has taken a big interest in turkeys. She passed on hunting antelope this fall to hunt turkey. No turkeys where we elk hunt so I am starting from scratch with turkeys.
I have hunted merriams once in Wyoming just outside the Black Hills and for us they were a lot more fun to hunt and more vocal. If you get on the birds in the morning you will hear more gobbles than you are use to hearing from Eastern in a week of hunting. Majority of the birds we killed came in gobbling a long ways, but did have one or 2 go quiet and sneak in. Hens are very vocal and if can call them in good chance they have a gobbler or 2 in tow. Like others have said though, if one is going away you better get in front of for a chance.

When will you be heading out there this spring? We are looking at being out that way around the 2nd week of May. Been doing a lot of e-scouting and talking with wardens and biologists. This will be our first time in the Black Hills and first time for most of my group hunting merriams.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
That in mind, we’re going to take our chances in April

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha, it is a crapshoot until June but it for sure is MORE of a crapshoot in April. Last year on opening weekend the BH's got like a foot of snow

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted merriams once in Wyoming just outside the Black Hills and for us they were a lot more fun to hunt and more vocal. If you get on the birds in the morning you will hear more gobbles than you are use to hearing from Eastern in a week of hunting. Majority of the birds we killed came in gobbling a long ways, but did have one or 2 go quiet and sneak in. Hens are very vocal and if can call them in good chance they have a gobbler or 2 in tow. Like others have said though, if one is going away you better get in front of for a chance.

When will you be heading out there this spring? We are looking at being out that way around the 2nd week of May. Been doing a lot of e-scouting and talking with wardens and biologists. This will be our first time in the Black Hills and first time for most of my group hunting merriams.

We booked for April 16th-19th, sounds like it’s going to be a crap shoot, but fingers crossed.

I’ve done a ton of research since posting here and have seen success from talking to the hens and, if gobbler is moving away, using the hills to try to get in front of it. I think that’s going to be out game plan to start out - thanks for the advice!

cwayne3

FNG
I’m going to up that way in the first week of May. Been doing a lot of escouting myself. Haven’t had a chance to talk to a warden or biologist though.

Greyman

FNG
On flight back hunted BH yesterday tagged out 6:15 am
opening day
never saw one other hunter
3/4 this year need a RIO to complete one year slam looking at Cooper WMA in Oklahoma couple of weeks any suggestions?

Attachments

• CF93D415-9A1E-4E5C-8369-35F0911D842B.jpeg
    CF93D415-9A1E-4E5C-8369-35F0911D842B.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Greyman

FNG
Yeah got there on Wednesday scounted in 22 degree weather then 68 degree weather within 24 hours
saturday was perfect
absolutely beautiful country
now planning road trip to Western Oklahoma on a mission

UPDATE Completed Slam 1 year
Osceola Eastern Merriam Rio

Attachments

• 36649B02-7118-4B8A-A0ED-DADC52A63A0F.jpeg
    36649B02-7118-4B8A-A0ED-DADC52A63A0F.jpeg
    785 KB · Views: 38
  • E1CC3E2A-A345-40C5-BF0D-A40A15D78285.jpeg
    E1CC3E2A-A345-40C5-BF0D-A40A15D78285.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 458BE771-A81D-4A4D-9451-94AF58700D2C.jpeg
    458BE771-A81D-4A4D-9451-94AF58700D2C.jpeg
    672.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

NYBowhntr

FNG

We will be out there the first week of May. Driving out from NY and taking our time. 24 hour drive. Hope to be hunting May 2! Just showed pictures of merriams from GREYMAN's trip. We are super excited.

Congrats Greyman on those beautiful birds.

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Tough conditions, but an incredible hunt. Tagged out in the Black Hills!

6781c444c775fe97b0c78c8b47fe2be9.jpg

NCHunt29

FNG
Yeah got there on Wednesday scounted in 22 degree weather then 68 degree weather within 24 hours
saturday was perfect
absolutely beautiful country
now planning road trip to Western Oklahoma on a mission
If happen to hunt in Kansas for Rios I could help with some starting spots. That's where I got my Rio to complete my first slam

Greyman

FNG
I just completed single season Grand Slam. Rio by far the hardest. Hunted West Oklahoma (ton of jakes) . They must have had a great production last year, finally got my Tom.
Love hunting Rios. Was my first time. They are squirrely birds. Beautiful country

Attachments

• IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

WYO2005

FNG
Hey folks. New here. I'm struggling in the SD Hills. I am on a 3 state swing. NE, SD and WY. Any general areas? I have till Tuesday to make this happen. I don't have a side by side or 4 wheeler. I'm in a suburban, camping in Spearfish at the KOA. I'm open to suggestions or if your local I will buy dinner and drinks if you care to share. Thanks.

Greyman

FNG
85 south through Deadwood 385 then turn on any forestry roads and stay in the shade

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Hey folks. New here. I'm struggling in the SD Hills. I am on a 3 state swing. NE, SD and WY. Any general areas? I have till Tuesday to make this happen. I don't have a side by side or 4 wheeler. I'm in a suburban, camping in Spearfish at the KOA. I'm open to suggestions or if your local I will buy dinner and drinks if you care to share. Thanks.
Did you try actually talking to other hunters out there instead of randomly google searching 'black hills turkey' and stumbling on this post? I've hunted out there, just swing into a pub and start talking to people if you cant find birds.