2021 September Caribou Hunt

MNGaryB

FNG
My buddys and I returned from our DIY caribou hunt with Tyrrell’s Trails. We had no issues getting to Fairbanks or to chandalar lake on wrights. Luke and his team did a great job getting us into the field that day. We enjoyed some hot lunch and moose tongue prior to going into the field! We were dropped on a rock bar north east of chandalar. It’s always a good problem when you have to do a fly by on the run way to chase off the caribou! We quickly set up camp and started glassing. We watched hundreds of caribou migrate over a mountain ridge til dark. We were full of excitement for the coming morning. We each enjoyed a small bump of whiskey before bed. After laying there for a hour or so I awoke to what sounded like horses trotting next to the tent. I ran out of the tent and much to the 40+ caribou’s surprise was a Midwest guy in his underwear with a headlamp on smiling ear to ear. It was then I realized my first mistake of the trip, I set the tent up on a established caribou trail! We woke up to a beautiful sunrise and we were ready to go. My two buddies went to walk where we saw a herd cross to the north and I stayed on the gravel bar to split up and learn the area. I saw a heard of 50 or so with nothing I wanted to shoot right after the other to left. I spotted a white wolf at 300+ yards and couldn’t get it to stop. A hour later I heard a gun shot. Two hours later I heard another. It was now 3pm. I stayed put where I passed up bulls in two more groups on the bar. The other two guys arrived shortly after dark with big smiles. We got up in the morning to retrieve the remainder of there meat and heads. But before those two could get out of bed I was on the move heading in the direction they saw a lot of animals behind camp in the direction of there kills. I didt make it 400 yards from camp and I was surrounded by 200+ caribou. I spotted the biggest in the group and remembered what Luke’s dad told me(don’t pass a good one)! I waited for a clear shot at 200 yards and squeezed the trigger. I watched my caribou hit the ground! I tagged and cleaned out my caribou and met up with the other two to finish up there’s. After getting mine back to camp and starting to get tired I thought I better cape this thing out before it freezes. What a great idea that was. After mine I caped the other two which were froze and a royal pain. I let Luke know of our success. He asked if he could bring us out of the camp and haul a group in that’s not seeing much. We agreed that was a good idea. The next day we wished the two hunters luck and headed back to start de boning. We got all three into fish box’s and enjoyed some fresh caribou with all at base camp. The next day wrights brought us back to Fairbanks and the boring part of the trip was just ahead. I’d like to thank Annabel from wrights air for going above and beyond to get our capes shipped. AK cargo is joke to deal with. And just like that we were home. Like most say… I brought to much crap I didt need(mostly clothes).

Attachments

• F272427D-F554-4876-A6F2-373FCE68B32A.jpeg
    F272427D-F554-4876-A6F2-373FCE68B32A.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 384
Thanks for letting us take over camp and clean up the last of the migration!

Two more bulls taken a couple days after @MNGaryB and crew headed back to civilization.

Can’t say enough good things about Luke and his operation. Can’t wait to get back.

Attachments

• 4F669326-AFC7-4CEB-840E-0B72EBB43377.jpeg
    4F669326-AFC7-4CEB-840E-0B72EBB43377.jpeg
    359.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 4390F430-27B2-4FFD-A8CE-022B708C992E.jpeg
    4390F430-27B2-4FFD-A8CE-022B708C992E.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for letting us take over camp and clean up the last of the migration!

Two more bulls taken a couple days after @MNGaryB and crew headed back to civilization.

Can’t say enough good things about Luke and his operation. Can’t wait to get back.
Love it! Glad you guys had fun!

OP
MNGaryB

MNGaryB

FNG
Love Luke and his family/team. Hunted sept 2020, hands down best outfitter I’ve hunted with in my life. Plus he employs one the coolest history channel stars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike was not in camp when we went out or returned but heard a few stories about him. I did get to meet Adele….his pup!

Steely610

FNG
Awesome - thanks for posting! A friend and I are booked for a 2024 DIY hunt with Luke. I'll be reaching out to you guys with a few questions.

Bring cash to buy fur gloves or hats from his parents, they run a trap line all winter, warmest stuff I’ve ever worn.

OP
MNGaryB

MNGaryB

FNG
Bring cash to buy fur gloves or hats from his parents, they run a trap line all winter, warmest stuff I’ve ever worn.

I bought a women’s lynx hat and lynx tail keychains

mooster

WKR
My buddys and I returned from our DIY caribou hunt with Tyrrell’s Trails. We had no issues getting to Fairbanks or to chandalar lake on wrights. Luke and his team did a great job getting us into the field that day. We enjoyed some hot lunch and moose tongue prior to going into the field! We were dropped on a rock bar north east of chandalar. It’s always a good problem when you have to do a fly by on the run way to chase off the caribou! We quickly set up camp and started glassing. We watched hundreds of caribou migrate over a mountain ridge til dark. We were full of excitement for the coming morning. We each enjoyed a small bump of whiskey before bed. After laying there for a hour or so I awoke to what sounded like horses trotting next to the tent. I ran out of the tent and much to the 40+ caribou’s surprise was a Midwest guy in his underwear with a headlamp on smiling ear to ear. It was then I realized my first mistake of the trip, I set the tent up on a established caribou trail! We woke up to a beautiful sunrise and we were ready to go. My two buddies went to walk where we saw a herd cross to the north and I stayed on the gravel bar to split up and learn the area. I saw a heard of 50 or so with nothing I wanted to shoot right after the other to left. I spotted a white wolf at 300+ yards and couldn’t get it to stop. A hour later I heard a gun shot. Two hours later I heard another. It was now 3pm. I stayed put where I passed up bulls in two more groups on the bar. The other two guys arrived shortly after dark with big smiles. We got up in the morning to retrieve the remainder of there meat and heads. But before those two could get out of bed I was on the move heading in the direction they saw a lot of animals behind camp in the direction of there kills. I didt make it 400 yards from camp and I was surrounded by 200+ caribou. I spotted the biggest in the group and remembered what Luke’s dad told me(don’t pass a good one)! I waited for a clear shot at 200 yards and squeezed the trigger. I watched my caribou hit the ground! I tagged and cleaned out my caribou and met up with the other two to finish up there’s. After getting mine back to camp and starting to get tired I thought I better cape this thing out before it freezes. What a great idea that was. After mine I caped the other two which were froze and a royal pain. I let Luke know of our success. He asked if he could bring us out of the camp and haul a group in that’s not seeing much. We agreed that was a good idea. The next day we wished the two hunters luck and headed back to start de boning. We got all three into fish box’s and enjoyed some fresh caribou with all at base camp. The next day wrights brought us back to Fairbanks and the boring part of the trip was just ahead. I’d like to thank Annabel from wrights air for going above and beyond to get our capes shipped. AK cargo is joke to deal with. And just like that we were home. Like most say… I brought to much crap I didt need(mostly clothes).
congrats great trip!

Thanks for posting this write-up. Mind if I PM you for some insight?