2021 Turkey Meat Pole

j_volt

WKR
It has been a great start to the season with 3 tags filled so far. Fingers crossed that I can connect again this weekend. I love spring!

Attachments

• 0CE1D915-45BD-401A-9B6F-969A66BD1CA5.jpeg
    0CE1D915-45BD-401A-9B6F-969A66BD1CA5.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 48A7DE3C-83AD-4E03-AC02-601D7B3EB926.jpeg
    48A7DE3C-83AD-4E03-AC02-601D7B3EB926.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 17DB6E9F-9FF8-4D91-B28A-45E3A53A6DA7.jpeg
    17DB6E9F-9FF8-4D91-B28A-45E3A53A6DA7.jpeg
    929.9 KB · Views: 21
My first turkey, was a spot and stalk scramble from a meadow around a hillside crawling and jogging and everything in between. It was a pretty good time. Backpacked in a couple miles and camped 500 yards from the roost. First trip to NE and I'd definitely go again.

068832e490d72ba623c5247da58f4e59.jpg

e95bdda47e3cbc14bb0d0b052850d8d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleJ

WKR
heck yeah!!! nice work buddy!
Thanks roosie! I didn’t have to work quite as hard as you did for yours, nicely done on your mountain bird, thats awesome! One of these years I plan on driving over and chasing those things around a bit. To get it done in that country would be quite the experience.

the merriams got the best of me this trip.... the birds i was hunting last week moved, so friday morning was a scramble to find some birds... finally got 2 toms going around 9am, but they did what they do to me and didn't cooperate... got them gobbling again that evening good, but it was kinda open and i couldn't close the distance any more, and couldn't pull them in. yesterday was a cold rainy day and the birds were pretty quiet all day, and this morning i woke up to water dripping on my face at 4am and wind blowing... was snowing just above me, and my hail mary wasn't fruitful.... fun trip regardless. the first morning when i woke up, there was a group of birds roosted around me.... oops! when they flew down, they flew across a creek i couldn't get across due to lots of snow melt.... they must have knew i was there because they didn't come back.... i went over there mid day, but couldn't figure out where they went, and never made it back over there because i didn't want to leave the birds i was hunting.

already looking forward to going over there next year.... i will live at the complete opposite end of the state, but i don't care.... i'm hell bent on getting those mountain turkey dialed in. i will need to get a ground blind for bad weather (it gets cold sitting stationary for a long time in cold rain/snow/wind) and i need a couple decoys.... some of that stuff is just too open to not have decoys.

next year i will just use my pickup as base camp and sleep wherever i end up, going back to the pickup makes for unnecessary walking.... it ends up being almost 20 mile days every full day (both days right around 17 miles walked) would be nice not to walk 4 miles in the morning to get on scene before daylight.

i learned a lot, and have a lot to learn about turkey..... if those things could smell, i don't know how anyone could kill them.... i seriously underestimated those turkey.... there was some frustration.... much of it was due to my lack of preparation, but some of it is they are just tough birds to hunt.... they cover a lot of ground, and that ground feels pretty vast when trying to find sneaky paranoid birds.

i was banking on turkey being in the same area, which i learned a lot about and could have killed one with an ambush if needed, but it was a new area trying to figure it out as i went.... next year will be a longer trip, at least 5-6 days..... fun stuff! i will be really looking forward to turkey season next year!!

hoping to find some to hunt on the south coast, we're officially moving Tuesday.... don't think any local turkey hunting will be anything compared to chasing those merriams in the blue mountains.

now time to focus on yogi...

Last edited:
Thanks roosie! I didn’t have to work quite as hard as you did for yours, nicely done on your mountain bird, thats awesome! One of these years I plan on driving over and chasing those things around a bit. To get it done in that country would be quite the experience.
keep me posted if you have the time.... i plan on going 5-6 days beginning of next season, you are more than welcome to come with me.