2021 Turkey Meat Pole

bradb

WKR
DPUIwGi.jpg

ucO0UnG.jpg
Sweet with the side hammer double! I have one on Grandpas old doubles like that I should shoot one with. Barrels are a bit pitted so I dont' trust it a ton.

Its an old LC Smith with non-damascus barrels. Its in super shape and has a very full choke. I basically only use it for turkeys as between the hammers and the choke its not ideal for upland. Its just a super turkey gun though - really seems to roll them!

bradb

WKR
Its an old LC Smith with non-damascus barrels. Its in super shape and has a very full choke. I basically only use it for turkeys as between the hammers and the choke its not ideal for upland. Its just a super turkey gun though - really seems to roll them!
I usually just use my youth semi auto 20 as my preferred turkey gun. Have shot one with my Grandpas old single barrel 16 gauge piece of crap, taped together stock and no sights! Have shot them with bow, 410, 20, 16, 12, muzzle loading shotgun. So might have to try his old JC higgins hammered 12!

Last edited:

slvrslngr

WKR
Sure is awesome to see so many birds hitting the deck! Congrats to those who have filled tags and good luck to those still chasing.

Tod osier

WKR
Picking away at 'em...

I set up on a bird before daybreak in the rain on a ridge that I've worked a lot of birds from over the years. He wouldn't budge, but a second bird sounded off about 400 yards away on the roost and then strolled over and was down as soon as he crossed the 50 yard line about a half hour after sunrise.

NGNxRqt.jpg

tuk

FNG
When I get the next one. Any advice on making the meat a little less tough before I cook it. Tasted good. Just a bit tough

Tod osier

WKR
When I get the next one. Any advice on making the meat a little less tough before I cook it. Tasted good. Just a bit tough

My two go-to techniques to celebrate turkey and have it not tough are fried turkey nuggets and sous vide. I've made a lot of delicious tough turkey and then decided I like it so much more than to eat it dry and tough. Even grilled perfectly doesn't hold a candle to these methods as far as tenderness.

Turkey breast and "tenders" have substantial tough parts in them, but even a 3 year plus bird is extremely tender using this approach. The large end of the breast (front, rounded end) needs sinew trimmed off and the "tender" needs the central tendon removed. I also square up the long tail of the breast to get a more even shape. This trimming makes nuggets, but the sinew has to be trimmed off the nuggets too.

Trimmed, rolled and tied. You can see it is smallish, but that is due to the trimming to remove sinew and to shape.
EY7ixPI.jpg

In bag with a pat of butter to sous vide at 140 for a couple hours.
av3g2vb.jpg

Done.
0OeBUfx.jpg

Nuggets. Soak in buttermilk, salt, pepper and egg and roll in flour and then fry. Dip in something - honey, sweet and sour, etc...
nEa29wA.jpg