2021 Wyoming General Elk Tag

Your leftover/second choice options will be VERY limited and will be majority private land or lots of G-bears/Wilderness

Leftovers can still be plenty fun. Save those points for what you want (if that's what you want).

d26a16f654cc004b81c36fd9886795a8.jpeg

BuzzH

WKR
My cousin and I hunt together and he's got 8 points but wants to save them. After a lot of reading this morning and a call to game and fish I'm not sure what to do exactly.

I'm in a position where I'm tired of busting my ass here in Oregon only to pass up small 5x5's, raghorns and spikes or succumbing and punching my tag on one. I'm 8-10 years away from a premier unit in Oregon and God only knows how they'll look then. I'm 43, have a 5 year old son who shoots his 22 and bow fairly well and is always talking about wallhangers...need to be thinking of him accompanying me on something epic in 8-10+ years or so.

My objective is to acclimate myself to coming to full draw on 330+/- bulls at a minimum. Obviously I'd like to also knock them over, have lots of meat, be an elk hero etc... Looking to me like my best option is to pay to play somewhere.

Question, can a guy apply for a type 9 tag and if he draws on a 2nd choice preserve his points? If so, what are the odds of drawing a type 9 as 2nd choice (I realize its unit specific, but if a guy wanted a decent unit that, if he was willing to climb, hike 10 miles a day, be out there, ride a bike, whatever - would likely provide a few opportunities at decent bulls)?
The only way you'll ever draw a second choice is if there are tags leftover that no other first choice applicants draw.

wapitibob

WKR
They published the draw odds the day the results came out; they’re accurate for everything but special gen random and reduced price. Get a subscription to Toprut and you’ll have the individual point pool breakdowns per hunt code . Many are just spinning their wheels without that data.

I think 3 might be enough but, my group of 3 has 8 points for a 2.66 average. Doubt this is good in regulation but has a chance in Special if we go that route.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
After a thorough description of the Oregon/Wyoming conundrum, replete with tales of woe and heroism for good measure - after which my wife mocked my "white boy" problems I've decided to buy points for several more years in Wyoming & Oregon. In the meantime I'll continue to try and get a toad knocked over with my bow via otc hunts. Wild card is buying an LOP tag somewhere. But I don't want to hijack this thread anymore with that line of inquiry. Thanks all for the input...