2022 ALASKA MOOSE 14-DAY DIY (and a preseason 10-day float)

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Just picked-up my moose from Indian Valley Meats...fourteen boxes of great eating for several families for another year (roasts, steaks, burger, Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, bacon, chorizo sausage, jalapeño cheese hot-dogs, teriyaki sticks, and jalapeño cheese sticks). Truly fortunate and thankful...
IMG_6818.jpeg

Sizthediz

WKR
Enjoyed the read. Thank you for sharing. Reminds me of my youth reading field and stream. Daydreaming about being in Alaska hunting

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Thank you all for the kind comments.

Our local news last night had some video footage of a bull moose shedding both his antlers at the same time. I wasn't sure where to share this in a post, so I stuck it here. They shed every year this time of year, but I've never witnessed this before LOL...

alaska-couple-catches-moose-losing-antlers-doorbell-camera

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just picked-up my moose from Indian Valley Meats...fourteen boxes of great eating for several families for another year (roasts, steaks, burger, Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, bacon, chorizo sausage, jalapeño cheese hot-dogs, teriyaki sticks, and jalapeño cheese sticks). Truly fortunate and thankful...
View attachment 473336
If I lived in town, I’d never butcher another moose myself. It would be really nice to do the hunting and not have to do the cutting. We did 2 bulls this year and that was basically ~ 5 days of being hunched over at a table and cutting.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
If I lived in town, I’d never butcher another moose myself. It would be really nice to do the hunting and not have to do the cutting. We did 2 bulls this year and that was basically ~ 5 days of being hunched over at a table and cutting.
Right on guy…did it myself for many years, but the push to be back at work after a week or more off for hunting sometimes didn’t leave much time for processing and very, very late nights, so I just started dropping it off...so glad I started doing that!! I’m very happy to spend the extra money each year to have that done...been using the same place for over thirty years now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Right on guy…did it myself for many years, but the push to be back at work after a week or more off for hunting sometimes didn’t leave much time for processing and very, very late nights, so I just started dropping it off...so glad I started doing that!! I’m very happy to spend the extra money each year to have that done...been using the same place for over thirty years now.
That push to get back to work is exactly what I’m talking about. This year we had 2 and with our limited time, it was tough.

kcruz

FNG
That was an amazing recap of a great hunt! Makes you want to move out to Alaska even more! Thanks for sharing.