2022 Alaskan float hunt wood stove?

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
Been thinking about buying a titanium wood stove to take is it worth the hassle.
I’d have to put a stove jack in my tent. I have a big Agnes flying diamond 8 man. Anyone ever put one in. Hunt September 10-25 brooks range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know your shelter, but yes, wood stove for warming and drying things out is awesome. Just be sure there is wood to burn where you are going and your shelter is floorless.

bmrfish

WKR
aa307ba14eb09467f44b38fd734912d8.jpg

Brooks Range, south slope, mid September. Ten days never got above freezing. We were very thankful for our titanium stove in the tent.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
My large SO U-turn fits in the stern of my forager without disassembling the body. Really clutch to throw up the tent and have the stove ready to roll.

8 man tent for a float hunt? Lol. I won’t use my 8 man unless it’s 3 or more days in one spot.
I have a titanium stove for my tipi and have never used it. I opt for the buddy heater in my Cabelas 8 man geodome.
However, I know next season we will be using the titanium stove in my tipi since we will be hunting the Yukon.

mooster

WKR
I have the ti stove for my 8 man. but truthfully left it at home this year after realizing 1) the moose don't mind campfire smoke, and 2) putting up a tarp beside the campfire allows us to warm and dry gear w/out having to tote the weight of the ti stove. Its not much weight, but its adds to the amount of gear we're portaging to /from AK & moose camp. That said too, if your setting up camp each day or maybe every few days, the stove seems a bit of a hassle vs. having a campfire for same purpose.

In moose camp, I really want to be outside as much as possible as moose come to camp. If I had my ti stove, I might be tempted to stay in the tipi longer and miss what's happening outside.

OP
boliver29

boliver29

Lil-Rokslider
Yukon I went with the tent my hunt planner suggested. A little big but I figured I could keep all my gear out the weather. Plus it easy to put up and take down. Thanks for your input though.

Wapiti1

WKR
If you had a floorless, then wood stove, yes. With that tent, no to the wood stove. Synthetic floored tents and wood embers are a really bad combo.

A propane lantern will get the job done in a much safer manner. Hang the lantern low in the tent so the heat is low. Like a foot off the ground, or lower. You can't knock over a hanging lantern and start your nylon or polyester tent on fire.

I know it's been done, but it gives me the willys. Even with a MR Buddy, I don't want a floor for it to tip over on.

Jeremy

cnelk

WKR
We used a Kifaru wood stove in my 6man SeekOutside tipi this fall in Alaska.
I sacrificed a cheap blue tarp with some ember holes to have dry feet by my cot. Lol

Man, that spruce sure does smell good and heats up fast!

D0D2D010-9FDD-4F6C-8276-2C0B72656733.jpeg

mooster

WKR
We used a Kifaru wood stove in my 6man SeekOutside tipi this fall in Alaska.
I sacrificed a cheap blue tarp with some ember holes to have dry feet by my cot. Lol

Man, that spruce sure does smell good and heats up fast!

View attachment 342325
As for a dry feet set up or place to organize gear in camp, you mentioned using a tarp, but other light weight choices may be a piece of tyvek house wrap (if you crunch it up & wash it, it becomes quiet & soft), and I also will often take a hvy trash bag and slice it down the side to lay it open and flat. Just posting this for others that may read the thread for packing ideas.

cnelk

WKR
As for a dry feet set up or place to organize gear in camp, you mentioned using a tarp, but other light weight choices may be a piece of tyvek house wrap (if you crunch it up & wash it, it becomes quiet & soft), and I also will often take a hvy trash bag and slice it down the side to lay it open and flat. Just posting this for others that may read the thread for packing ideas.

Yep we brought tyvek pieces too - (y)

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
You cannot put a price on hanging out, eating meals, or drying gear in a warm tent with a woodstove. I have a folding TI stove but seem to use a small sheet metal type stove more often because there is no setup time or fumbling with little screws. Both work great and I won't go w/o one.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
If you had a floorless, then wood stove, yes. With that tent, no to the wood stove. Synthetic floored tents and wood embers are a really bad combo.

A propane lantern will get the job done in a much safer manner. Hang the lantern low in the tent so the heat is low. Like a foot off the ground, or lower. You can't knock over a hanging lantern and start your nylon or polyester tent on fire.

I know it's been done, but it gives me the willys. Even with a MR Buddy, I don't want a floor for it to tip over on.

Jeremy
^^^^^^....lots of good points being made in this thread, just wanted to make sure THIS wasn't lost^^^^^^

There are certainly pros/cons to bringing a wood stove on your float with an appropriately matched shelter. My titanium wood stove for my SO 4-man is not a burden in weight nor space to bring, and it would be a definite on my gear list given the time of year of your hunt. I'd also bring a glassing tarp as a primary day shelter to get out of the wind/rain. My personal choice is not to use my wood stove unless absolutely needed, or the harvest has been reached. I also choose to remain outside my tent until last hunting light is over because those animals seem to appear out of nowhere sometimes. When my stove has been needed or the last bull is hanging, it was always sooooo nice to have it.

Side point, it looks like you've got a 14-day float-hunt planned, which is excellent. Don't know how many miles you need to cover within that time frame to reach the take-out. Hopefully not too long a distance because I'd sure prefer to stay and call in a location with some good moose sign for a couple nights.

The best to you for a safe and memorable adventure next year!

Last edited:

Caleb1986

FNG
I wouldn’t hunt moose with out a stove. Too many times I have been rained on or snowed on…you can’t beat comfort. Drying out beside a stove beats drying out beside a fire any day.