2022 Bows

Bluto

WKR
Finally upgrading my Alphamax 32 thanks to a Christmas present that was an IOU for any bow that I shot and liked.

This would be easier if she’d just bought one and made me go with it. Not even sure where to start, other than I’m pretty sure anything made in the past 5 years is an upgrade in tuneability, noise, and consistency (archer being equal.)

I have a shot session lined up for the RX7 Ultra, Ventum, and a Bowtech, and hopefully some Elite’s up the street from the Hoyt/Bowtech dealer. I’m hearing great things about the Prime Inline’s but the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. Not sure if I’ll get a peek at one.

I’m interested to hear continuing discussion and impressions from those shooting these new bows. I’m also tempted to buy 3 or 4 used setups for the same price as a new Hoyt, keep the one I like best and sell the others. (Easy to say before I shoot the Hoyt, I know.)

TheTone

WKR
Finally upgrading my Alphamax 32 thanks to a Christmas present that was an IOU for any bow that I shot and liked.

This would be easier if she’d just bought one and made me go with it. Not even sure where to start, other than I’m pretty sure anything made in the past 5 years is an upgrade in tuneability, noise, and consistency (archer being equal.)

I have a shot session lined up for the RX7 Ultra, Ventum, and a Bowtech, and hopefully some Elite’s up the street from the Hoyt/Bowtech dealer. I’m hearing great things about the Prime Inline’s but the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. Not sure if I’ll get a peek at one.

I’m interested to hear continuing discussion and impressions from those shooting these new bows. I’m also tempted to buy 3 or 4 used setups for the same price as a new Hoyt, keep the one I like best and sell the others. (Easy to say before I shoot the Hoyt, I know.)
There are times I still miss my alphamax. I sold mine to a friend for a great deal when I upgraded a few years ago. I’m not sure it wouldn’t be back to my primary bow if I still had it

Bluto

WKR
That’s exactly how I got this one - friend upgraded and switched to Elite and the rest is history. I’m certainly not one to jump at the latest and greatest (hence my still having this one) but man this thing seems loud and buzzy. I didn’t really notice it until I got stationed back east and started whitetail hunting again.

sndmn11

WKR

If I were buying I would get an Elite or Bowtech, without shooting any bows, whichever was in stock.

A person could drive themself bonkers trying to weed out "smooth" "dead in the hand" "quiet" etc. when they are all really similar and a far enough cry from your Alphamax that they will all feel different. Even more so, they will all feel very different when they have accessories added and all those little things a person might try to discern to separate one from the other will change from the bare bow shooting.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider

My opinion is worth what you pay for it, but if I were you, I would keep your alphamax even after you upgrade. Keep it until you really feel like your upgrade is a better bow. I still have an energy 35 that I wont sell because I still don't know that I have shot a bow that I like better. I have a RX4 Ultra that I shoot side by side with it and still feel like its one of the best bows I have ever shot.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
^^^this guy has a point!! Back up bows are precious for traveling hunts. I always keep my existing bow for the new backup and if I end up not liking my new bow then it gets sold and I’m not stuck saying I should have never sold that one. I wish o could offer up a suggestion on new bows but I have yet to shoot any I newer ones that out perform my Bowtech Reign.

Shoot them a lot and don’t get talked in to what you may like or learn to appreciate. If you like a short how and shoot it good then get one, if you like the 35” class and never have issues the length then get it. Too often I see folks try to settle in to one, if you didn’t love it before the $1200 you likely want afterwards!

Bluto

WKR
All excellent points. This Alphamax is here for the long haul for sure. I do still travel hunt so the backup idea is invaluable - and it will be a hand me down to the boys as well as they learn the craft.

sndmn - You’re definitely correct. It would be easy to spend from now through next year when another new round is released driving oneself nutty trying to analyze which bow to buy. Honestly Bowtech hadn’t been on the list (I’ve been out of the bow buying business so long I don’t have a good reference for what’s “good” anymore) but this new push for tunability outside of the bow shop is a huge win in my opinion. And those two (Bowtech and Elite) seem to be leading the charge.

I’m not a speed guy. I’ll take a 20 feet slower arrow that flies reliably straight from any shooting position any day. Then comfortable/smooth to shoot. Then quiet. Then maybe speed.

I shot the ventum 33 and v3x long yesterday. both set at 31" draw. I really liked the ventum. mostly because it drew like my mathews z7. it loads up and drops off fast into the let of at a hard back wall.

the v3x however drew nicely but it drew so lightly into the let off that I wasn't sure if I was at full draw. it wasn't the positive hard drop that the hoyt and my old z7 had. I'd probably need to shoot it a lot more than the bow shop would like for me to get used to it

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Let's say you're upgrading bows as the RX7 Ultra fits the bill. When you shoot it, no doubt, there is a wow factor, but its a bit subdued by the speeds using normal hunting weight arrows. It's hard pill to swallow for some (maybe myself included) when you're paying a pretty generous price for a bow, and with a normal hunting arrow weight at say 60lbs @ 29 inches barely break 250fps. In this case, I'm not gaining anything really from what I had.

To add, I've shot it about 4 different times now, and it's funny, a couple of the shops went back to check DL and poundage as they too didn't expect such low velocities.
And that's why I ordered one with 80lb limbs. At my draw length I should get another 16-17fps with my 470gn arrows. It was just such a nice shooting bow to pass up. And I already have an SR6 and a Solution for speed bows.