2022 Bows

svivian

WKR
I was looking at one of the Hoyt Turbo models around $1500, 20FPS more than my current bow drop draw weight and keep arrow specs where they are; also would have a backup bow. Then I realized a 2015 Turbo has same FPS as the newer ones, bare bow weighs the same, and costs $1100 less.
I'm in the same boat with my Nitrum Turbo.....

rideold

WKR
I actually went to an older bow last fall by virtue of my 2020 RevoltX getting broken a month before bow season and parts not being available. I picked up a Matthews Triax fully set up for half what I paid for the RevoltX.....now I like the older Triax better. The draw cycle is better on the Bowtech but I shoot the Matthews better and to me that matters more than anything any new technology a bow can offer.

I was looking at one of the Hoyt Turbo models around $1500, 20FPS more than my current bow drop draw weight and keep arrow specs where they are; also would have a backup bow. Then I realized a 2015 Turbo has same FPS as the newer ones, bare bow weighs the same, and costs $1100 less.
That Turbo is nice for sure.

MattB

WKR
That would suggest the 2015 Hoyt carbon turbo model was $400. You might want to check your numbers?

That RX7 Ultra is an appealing bow, besides the price and it being carbon.

I'd like to understand how the 34" ATA 7" Brace rx7 ultra achieves the same speeds as a 33" ATA 6 3/8" brace ventum 33 pro using the same cams. Pay more, get more inflated specs from the factory?

MattB

WKR
I could find about 8 different examples of used 2014-2016 Turbo Models selling for the 400-500 range with a few minutes of searching or asking around??
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought that the implication was the price had gone up that much in ~6 years and not that a ~6 year old used bow has some of the same specs for much less. Bows most definitely do not hold value well. On the flip side, weight and speed aren't everything and there have been some really nice features added - each person will come down differently on whether they are worth the price differential.

Many guys still think the 2014 (?) Carbon Spyder Turbo was one of Hoyt's best bows ever - might be worth a look as well.

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought that the implication was the price had gone up that much in ~6 years and not that a ~6 year old used bow has some of the same specs for much less. Bows most definitely do not hold value well. On the flip side, weight and speed aren't everything and there have been some really nice features added - each person will come down differently on whether they are worth the price differential.

Many guys still think the 2014 (?) Carbon Spyder Turbo was one of Hoyt's best bows ever - might be worth a look as well.

No worries, that's why I mentioned it, because I was speccing out new bows and noticed they're all the same or within a few FPS spec wise (some going back as far as 2012 to now). Now, it's up to the individual to decide if the upgraded parts, cams, etc. are worth it to them.

Myself, I've shot a lot of the new bows but none have been earth-shattering enough to justify the price. Rather put it towards a Swaro spotter or something that provides more of an edge.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
That RX7 Ultra is an appealing bow, besides the price and it being carbon.

I'd like to understand how the 34" ATA 7" Brace rx7 ultra achieves the same speeds as a 33" ATA 6 3/8" brace ventum 33 pro using the same cams. Pay more, get more inflated specs from the factory?

I mean come on bro its not that hard to figure out. Its kinda like they get their weights. Thats what the cams CAN do on the proper bow with the right brace height and such. Not nessecarily what THIS bow will do.

I mean come on bro its not that hard to figure out. Its kinda like they get their weights. Thats what the cams CAN do on the proper bow with the right brace height and such. Not nessecarily what THIS bow will do.

I thought my eyes and brain may be deceiving me because I don't recall specs being so obviously manipulated to fit a price point previously. If they are comfortable with the BS claims on RX7 ultra, you'd think they would want the $1350 ventum pro 33 to look better too..

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I thought my eyes and brain may be deceiving me because I don't recall specs being so obviously manipulated to fit a price point previously. If they are comfortable with the BS claims on RX7 ultra, you'd think they would want the $1350 ventum pro 33 to look better too..

Ill say this.

ignoring the ibo claims as I personally havent had any manufactor match what my crono says with my arrows and ignoring weight claims, the RX series bows have had the smoothest draw for me at 31.5" I really like my RX3 and will be shooting it up against a RX7 to see how it stacks up. I doubt I will be plopping down 2k on a RX7 but I would consider it. Why carbon you ask. I have no good reason really.

equinox

FNG
If you round up to the nearest thousand, that is true. The MSRP for the carbon bows are listed from $1,849-$1,899. The aluminum riser models are $50 more than the comparable Matthews bows ($1,250-$1,399). Time will tell what the actually sell for at retail.
such a colossal waste of money.... I still hunt with a Browning Tornado I bought used in the early 2000s. I have never lost a deer, but I also only shoot under 30 yards or less.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
The RX7 Ultra has slightly more preload on a shorter limb. That’s why it’s shooting the same as the Ventum 33 with a slightly shorter brace height. 5/8” difference in brace really isn’t going to amount to a significant difference in speed if there was one.

The RX7 Ultra no matter how you slice it is SLOW! In order to get some performance out of it you will have to A) Up the draw weight or B) shoot a lighter arrow. The draw weight can be done as it draws smooth which will let you draw more weight, but make no mistake, its a great bow, just SLOW>

The RX7 Ultra has slightly more preload on a shorter limb. That’s why it’s shooting the same as the Ventum 33 with a slightly shorter brace height. 5/8” difference in brace really isn’t going to amount to a significant difference in speed if there was one.

Thanks, that's the kind of reasoning I was looking for. Just looking at specs a guy would expect 5-6 fps difference between them.
The RX7 Ultra no matter how you slice it is SLOW! In order to get some performance out of it you will have to A) Up the draw weight or B) shoot a lighter arrow. The draw weight can be done as it draws smooth which will let you draw more weight, but make no mistake, its a great bow, just SLOW>

How so? Is it slower than any other smooth drawing 7" brace bow? It could have a rated speed that is 10 fps overstated on average and still be in line with most similarly spec'd bows.

jmez

WKR
No worries, that's why I mentioned it, because I was speccing out new bows and noticed they're all the same or within a few FPS spec wise (some going back as far as 2012 to now). Now, it's up to the individual to decide if the upgraded parts, cams, etc. are worth it to them.

Myself, I've shot a lot of the new bows but none have been earth-shattering enough to justify the price. Rather put it towards a Swaro spotter or something that provides more of an edge.

Goes waaaaaay farther back than 2012. Black Knight 2 in 2000-01 specs same as the turbos of today.

sndmn11

WKR
I think the next few years will see a focus on ease of tuning, and svelte-ing up the package. This integrate stuff is pretty cool, Bowtech and Elite seem to have the path to the tuning ease started well.