2022 California Bear

OP
David Gough

David Gough

Well Known Rokslider
That's what I've heard. I'd say it made it easy to track, but it went down quickly and I saw it expire on 3 legs and tumble. Quite a first experience with those critters. Meat was rather lean too. Looking forward to getting some sausage back in the near future.
It's great eating.

blackshuk

Well Known Rokslider
Went out scouting in X12 this past weekend, didn't see any bears or fresh sign. We were glassing creek bottoms/meadows that were at around 8,800-9,000 feet.
Saw older sign and some tracks that looked semi recent, but that's about it.

Didn't see and berries around there, we're gonna head up higher into the basin next trip.
Anyone been in the area and have any juice for what the bears are keying on right now?

Shoot me a DM and maybe we can exchange some intel

So it's my understanding that bears will typically key in on grasses during the springtime, if they can, they'll be trying to pick up deer fawns from late spring to mid summer, then move on to berries in the fall. My question is, with it being so dry out here in California, and having seen very few berries where I normally have in wetter years... what are these bears eating?

NickStew

Let’s get this post started! After the fires ruined my bear hunting plans last year, we retrieved what was left of our trail cameras. Two disintegrated, one melted, one had the card swiped, but one had a gold mine of bears, deer, and some surprises.

View attachment 406838
View attachment 406839
View attachment 406840

Post your scouting efforts and don’t forget to pick up those bear tags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for starting this thread David. I lost two trail cameras in the fires last year too. Both were a complete loss. Put a new one out 4 weeks ago and excited to check it, especially with the rifle season open for me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk