2022 California Bear

OP
David Gough
A handful of screenshots from one of our trail cameras. I believe there are at least three different cinnamon phase bears using that waterhole currently. Interesting to not see many deer or sows with cubs on camera yet. Very little activity at night. A lot of the usage is mid day or in the evening.

Third picture is a sow trying to grab a mallard hen.

bear1.jpgbear 2.jpgbear 3.jpgbear 4.jpg

tracker12

WKR
Lived in Cally for a few years and killed my best bear there. Also lived in Fallon NV for a couple years. I love that area. I think in has the perfect weather.

I’ll be in C zone for Deer this year, bear too. Also going to get started earlier this year with B zone archery. Haven’t made up my mind yet either B2 trinity or B6 in the siskiyous. Should have a good chance for both this year!
I'll be hunting C as well. I've hunted it for deer but never focused on bear. What do you think of the zone for bears?

amassi

WKR
I'll be hunting C as well. I've hunted it for deer but never focused on bear. What do you think of the zone for bears?
Super high density of bears but they often have terrain advantages that makes them harder to find, especially if your hiking. Driving those roads after a rain or snow and you'll cut gobs of tracks, find a big track and you might be able to catch up.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah lots of bears in the c zones, usually in deep canyons around creek bottoms are good places to look. Also have noticed they like cool shaded areas during deer season from the hot temps.

amassi

WKR
I believe the population is up but we used to see more when people could run hounds pushing them around. I've seen more jet black bears in c zones than other areas too

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
David Gough
Lost my date stamp on the trail cam but this was actually a few weeks ago. We bumped into each other about half mile from this spot about ten yards apart. We decided to go our separate ways for now.
Lots of snow still up there. You're hunting much higher than I!

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of snow still up there. You're hunting much higher than I!

As of yesterday there was no more snow. Funny how fast it dries up.

I'm heading out to San Bernardino NF at the beginning of the month to start scouting for my first bear. Would you mind sharing how high up you're seeing action this time of the year? Might be able to eliminate some spots off OnX....

JohnnyB

WKR
I'm heading out to San Bernardino NF at the beginning of the month to start scouting for my first bear. Would you mind sharing how high up you're seeing action this time of the year? Might be able to eliminate some spots off OnX....
Right now, bears are active wherever there is food. I have only been up to around 9000 feet but there was plenty of sign.

My opinion is that there is a higher concentration of bears in the thicker forests (5-8k) but if you are scouting above the tree line for mulies, there are also bears up high.

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the tips. I was focusing on a basin that runs 7-10k feet.

I'm doing the opposite of the usual, I'm going bear hunting with a deer tag in my pocket. I'll be focusing on mulies in my home zone, this is a dedicated bear hunt.

OP
David Gough
Water is key too. A wallow or pond where they can get a drink or take a bath.

Let's talk A zone. Yeah, A zone. You never hear about the zone for bears, but I'm in the north portion and I know for a fact (sign, tracks, talking to others) there are bears where I hunt. What I don't know is when they're most active. Conventional wisdom for B and D is that the best time to find them is archery and early rifle, but with my area being lower elevation and so much hotter, I have no idea when to focus. Thinking of waiting til well after rifle deer when it's cooler and wetter, but worried about food drying up by then.

OP
David Gough
Let's talk A zone. Yeah, A zone. You never hear about the zone for bears, but I'm in the north portion and I know for a fact (sign, tracks, talking to others) there are bears where I hunt. What I don't know is when they're most active. Conventional wisdom for B and D is that the best time to find them is archery and early rifle, but with my area being lower elevation and so much hotter, I have no idea when to focus. Thinking of waiting til well after rifle deer when it's cooler and wetter, but worried about food drying up by then.
I hunt mostly on the eastern slope of the Sierra's where it is quite dry (and can be really hot in archery season). We look for water as the bears need it everyday when temps are above 90 degrees. From trail camera footage it's interesting how often bears are moving midday to water sources.