2022 California Bear

amassi

WKR
Let's talk A zone. Yeah, A zone. You never hear about the zone for bears, but I'm in the north portion and I know for a fact (sign, tracks, talking to others) there are bears where I hunt. What I don't know is when they're most active. Conventional wisdom for B and D is that the best time to find them is archery and early rifle, but with my area being lower elevation and so much hotter, I have no idea when to focus. Thinking of waiting til well after rifle deer when it's cooler and wetter, but worried about food drying up by then.
Depending how far north you could be in a prime late fall spot that bears will move into following to food

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
David Gough
More pictures from scouting. Quite a few different bears are regulars in the area. The big cinnamon boar is top dog. He tried to destroy two of the cameras already. Can't wait to get this season started.

camera.jpgbear meadow.jpgbig bear meadow.jpg
big bear pond.jpgsmall bear pond.jpg

JohnnyB

WKR
Mostly sows hitting your cameras?
I think there are seven unique bears on my cameras and only two of them are boars. Most of the cameras are video and the file size is too large to post. I am trying to figure out how to make the size smaller but I am operating at the apex of my tech skills at this point.

This is a bear thread but I have to say I have never had more bucks this early on my cameras.

OP
David Gough
I think there are seven unique bears on my cameras and only two of them are boars. Most of the cameras are video and the file size is too large to post. I am trying to figure out how to make the size smaller but I am operating at the apex of my tech skills at this point.

This is a bear thread but I have to say I have never had more bucks this early on my cameras.
Interesting. We have seen little deer sign on cameras so far. I just take screen shots of the videos for forums. All of our cameras are set to video.

amassi

WKR
Anybody ever seen 3 adult bears following eachother like cubs follow a sow? All clearly big bears and appeared to be all boars. Followed each other for 400 yards across a face then started feeding and wallowing, never seemed bothered by each other
Brothers maybe- same color phase

OP
David Gough
Anybody ever seen 3 adult bears following eachother like cubs follow a sow? All clearly big bears and appeared to be all boars. Followed each other for 400 yards across a face then started feeding and wallowing, never seemed bothered by each other
Brothers maybe- same color phase

Two, yes. Not three. Seems that outside of the rut bears will tolerate each other when resources are scarce.

amassi

WKR
Two, yes. Not three. Seems that outside of the rut bears will tolerate each other when resources are scarce.
Certainly a resource rich area but it was just wild watching them. Certainly not cubs or yearlings probably #200-250 easy.

Nice! Surprised you can still hunt bear in Cali.
Bears...yes. Just not with hounds anymore. Cougars you can't hunt but they will hunt you.

2Jsf.gif

PvilleMac

FNG
This is my first year going for bear and I’m stoked. I live in the D zones but have a B zone deer tag this year so Ill be looking for them all over. Im very thankful the fires haven't been horrible this year….yet

Saw one just down on the road same morning around 6, looked like it had been injured by a car but headed down into the thick as I drove up. Headed up the hill to check a cam that wasn't sending pics and looks like a different bear was there at 820. I showed up just before 10. It looks like its just two different bears??. One on the road (8/13)and trail (8/9), one just trail (8/13)???? Im new to bears but finding some around is a good start I figure.

Attachments

• Attachment-1 2.jpeg
    Attachment-1 2.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 40
  • Attachment-1.jpeg
    Attachment-1.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1752 2.JPG
    IMG_1752 2.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 37

Dunndm

WKR
Moving back to CA soon after being away 4 years… Im down in so cal. Always wanted to hunt CA bear, is it all in northern Cal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
David Gough
Saw one just down on the road same morning around 6, looked like it had been injured by a car but headed down into the thick as I drove up. Headed up the hill to check a cam that wasn't sending pics and looks like a different bear was there at 820. I showed up just before 10. It looks like its just two different bears??. One on the road (8/13)and trail (8/9), one just trail (8/13)???? Im new to bears but finding some around is a good start I figure.
Definitely two different bears on camera. Hard to tell with the one on the road.