2022 DCUA 203

I drew the permit and have read some old threads on this forum. I have some questions for those who would be willing to help. I'm new to this forum. I'm a 22 year Alaska resident. I'm interested in the area accessed off the Johnson river. Thanks

VernAK

WKR
There's a lot of good sheep country to access from the Johnson River and most of it requires a couple days hiking. Are you flying into Charlie Boyd strip?

Snyd

WKR
I've been in DCUA 3 times over the years. Never pursued Johnson River access since from what I understand it's pretty much non-doable unless you fly in to Charlie Boyd. There are other more feasible approaches for the walk-in.

If you haven't already, here's a good general place to start....

OP
B
I’m looking the” Dog leg” a bit down river from Boyd. Looking at spur creek or boulder. Hoping to pack a raft and float out if it’s doable. I’ve heard it’s been tried but don’t know how viable it is.

My GF drew the same tag this year as well. talked to a few pilots in the area and had kind of the same idea as you, was informed that there's generally a fair bit of pressure from guys getting dropped early and hiking over the top in that same country instead of rafting the river also sounds like people getting dropped below the water mark is pretty common to get into there too. Our plan is just to spend as much time as possible up there this summer then make our decision on where to go based on that. it'll be our first time hunting the unit and unfortunately probably one of the worst times to have the tag but oh well, being in sheep country is half of the enjoyment anyways.

Jimss

WKR
My guess is that some of the Boyd and other drops get booked fairly quickly? If you want a flight you may want to book and send in your deposit?

OP
B
My GF drew the same tag this year as well. talked to a few pilots in the area and had kind of the same idea as you, was informed that there's generally a fair bit of pressure from guys getting dropped early and hiking over the top in that same country instead of rafting the river also sounds like people getting dropped below the water mark is pretty common to get into there too. Our plan is just to spend as much time as possible up there this summer then make our decision on where to go based on that. it'll be our first time hunting the unit and unfortunately probably one of the worst times to have the tag but oh well, being in sheep country is half of the enjoyment anyways.

OP
B
Congrats on the tag! That is a beauty ram you got in your profile picture.Is that a duca ram ? I'm expecting a challenging hunt with sheep numbers down. Its my hope the winter hasn't been too harsh on them this year.

Congrats on the tag! That is a beauty ram you got in your profile picture.Is that a duca ram ? I'm expecting a challenging hunt with sheep numbers down. Its my hope the winter hasn't been too harsh on them this year.
thanks yeah she's pretty excited. and no thats an central Alaska range ram from a few years back. yeah the winter is gonna be one of the bigger factors I think that'll either maker break the hunt. hopefully it wasn't too icy and some of the few older rams that are left made it through. can't wait for the snow to melt to go spend some time checking it out. hunted a lot of sheep but never hunted them there so it should be fun either way learning new country.

OP
B
I have never been there either but have already spent hours on research and started my fitness program two months ago. I’m taking three weeks off work for the hunt . .. maybe we will bump into each other and you can help me pack my sheep out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never been there either but have already spent hours on research and started my fitness program two months ago. I’m taking three weeks off work for the hunt . .. maybe we will bump into each other and you can help me pack my sheep out.

haha yeah we'll help you if you help us on the pack out! i'm taking all of august off for her delta tag and she also drew dc827 so once we finish in delta were headed in to go find a bou.

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck on that hunt! Helped a buddy with his tag there in 2020. Saw two legal sheep. Lots of hiking in beautiful country

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Redmammut

FNG
I've hunted this tag twice off the highway and spent a lot of time climbing those mountains with the mountaineering club. reach out if you need advice.

OP
B
Hello, thanks for the offer. I have never been in the dcua but planning on doing some scouting from off the highway. I would like to glean from your experience. If you don’t mind I would prefer to communicate off the forum. If you are open to that text me at 907-232-2738 thanks.