2022 dilemma- need direction

Elkhntr08

WKR
Read this morning that my standby unit in Colorado is no longer OTC. Problem is, that was pretty much my only egg in my elk hunting basket.
I’m going to be turning 61 this year, have zero points in any state. Have hunted Wyoming and Idaho in the the past.
I pretty much hunt solo, retired so time off is not a issue. Prefer to bow hunt.
What I’m asking is, if you where in my shoes, what would you do? I’m leaning towards putting in for a Hail Mary in Wyoming, researching New Mexico hard and looking for a new OTC in Colorado.
Anything else you can think I should do?

Your unit that went limited will have so many tags, just put in for it in the draw with no points and I bet you draw. Look at it this way, your unit just got better. Lazy people don't put in for 0-1 points units they'd rather just go to Walmart in September. when you draw the tag it will be better as less people are in there.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Yep - those units will have a bazillion tags available thru the draw this year.
Then, NEXT year [2023] , the CPW will put a cap on the available tags based on how many 1st choice applicants there was in 2022.

Apply and go hunt

cnelk

WKR
On a side note - just think how many more 'qualifying licenses' will be sold for these units....

tdhanses

WKR
Read this morning that my standby unit in Colorado is no longer OTC. Problem is, that was pretty much my only egg in my elk hunting basket.
I’m going to be turning 61 this year, have zero points in any state. Have hunted Wyoming and Idaho in the the past.
I pretty much hunt solo, retired so time off is not a issue. Prefer to bow hunt.
What I’m asking is, if you where in my shoes, what would you do? I’m leaning towards putting in for a Hail Mary in Wyoming, researching New Mexico hard and looking for a new OTC in Colorado.
Anything else you can think I should do?
Put in for the draw, it’ll be a guaranteed draw for you. You don’t need an otc tag if you only hunt 1 unit.

Hi y’all, I’m new here and in a similar but also very dissimilar situation. I’ve never hunted out west before and I’m looking to draw my first tag. Any recommendations For a Colorado elk unit? I’ve use the search feature, but a lot of times they’re very specific questions with likewise specific answers… Not trying to hijack a thread, just curious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Hi y’all, I’m new here and in a similar but also very dissimilar situation. I’ve never hunted out west before and I’m looking to draw my first tag. Any recommendations For a Colorado elk unit? I’ve use the search feature, but a lot of times they’re very specific questions with likewise specific answers… Not trying to hijack a thread, just curious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not being a dick or anything, but if you’ve picked a state, and it sounds like you have, then you’re already on your way. Colorado puts out so much information about available tags, OTC info, draw odds, hunt success etc. cross reference with a mapping application and you have more information available to you than anyone can possibly give you in a forum without telling you exactly where to hunt.

Good luck out there.

Put in your favorite GMU this year as first choice and you will have pretty good odds of getting drawn. Meanwhile start looking at OTC‘s as a back up plan.

Not being a dick or anything, but if you’ve picked a state, and it sounds like you have, then you’re already on your way. Colorado puts out so much information about available tags, OTC info, draw odds, hunt success etc. cross reference with a mapping application and you have more information available to you than anyone can possibly give you in a forum without telling you exactly where to hunt.

Good luck out there.
I Gotcha- upon a second reading, I realized just how ridiculous my question sounded. I suppose what I really meant to ask is are the OTC tags/ units worth trying? I don't expect someone to plan my trip for me, or throw out the number of their favorite unit. I've read horror stories of east coast style hunter density (terrible)
Thanks for the response at any rate.

BDRam16

WKR
I Gotcha- upon a second reading, I realized just how ridiculous my question sounded. I suppose what I really meant to ask is are the OTC tags/ units worth trying? I don't expect someone to plan my trip for me, or throw out the number of their favorite unit. I've read horror stories of east coast style hunter density (terrible)
Thanks for the response at any rate.
Depends on your definition of “worth it.” Will you be disappointed if you don’t come home with a 6pt bull? Then no. It won’t be worth it. Will you be happy to experience parts of the country you never have and MAYBE see some elk along the way? Then ya, it can definitely be worth it.

OP
Elkhntr08

Elkhntr08

WKR
Well, as of this evening, the deed is done. Bought all the qualifying licenses and applied for the tag.
We’ll see what happens this year and planning now for next.