2022 Drop Camp Hunt

Ok Rokslide experts, I’m looking for some suggestions. A buddy and I are wanting to plan an elk/muley drop camp hunt for 2022 rifle. We’re looking for either Idaho, Montana or Wyoming (not sure if drop camps are a thing in Wyoming?).

We are both fit and up to the challenge. What we aren’t, is loaded with a bunch of points 😂. We’re aware of what a non-guided hunt does to our chances of success, but we like to be away from people and enjoy the adventure.

So I’m asking, out of those three states can you all suggest some pros/cons that may sway me towards one or another, as well as any reputable drop camp outfitters in that state?

You might be asking for a bit much with the elk/deer combo. I’d focus on one or the other.

PRC_GUY

WKR
My buddies and I will I’ll go to Idaho unit 27 , 2022 for drop camp hunt too , there 6 or us.
Please give us any tips about this up coming trip, thank you guys.

We apply for both elk / deer and bear too
I hunt several areas where it’s not that difficult to get an elk license but it takes 8 or more years…. Or a lifetime to draw the deer tags. Also realistically, especially for a newbie in an unguided drop camp the chances of killing both is pretty slim. Back in the day when deer tags were easy to get we’d carry the license just in case. But we were hunting elk and if you want to kill elk that’s what you need to do.

OP
R
The point of getting the elk/deer tags would be to increase our chances of coming back with some meat, not necessarily trying to get both.

I appreciate the feedback so far.

sneaky

"DADDY"
We apply for both elk / deer and bear too
I'm not sure that Unit 27 is the unit I'd jump in to without a lot of prior backcountry experience. That's big country. BIG. Bear tags are OTC, deer and elk you'll get through whichever outfitter you plan on using. Lots of better areas to focus on other than 27. Like, any area outside of the Frank. If you want an adventure hunt and are ok with not killing anything, then 27 checks all those boxes. If seeing lots of animals is on your list, look elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Overdrive

WKR
I can recommend an outfitter on Private land hunts for a Cow Elk/Mule Deer hunt, this particular area takes 12 years for a Bull tag. Send me a DM if your interested.

PRC_GUY

WKR
I'm not sure that Unit 27 is the unit I'd jump in to without a lot of prior backcountry experience. That's big country. BIG. Bear tags are OTC, deer and elk you'll get through whichever outfitter you plan on using. Lots of better areas to focus on other than 27. Like, any area outside of the Frank. If you want an adventure hunt and are ok with not killing anything, then 27 checks all those boxes. If seeing lots of animals is on your list, look elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
We wanted to try it out there at unit 27 , it is all BLM and learn from there.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I can tell you to stay away from
Centennial Outfitters in SW Montana. The price is cheap but you get what you pay for.
We actually had a good experience 2 of 3 years in a row with Mel at Centennial on drop camps. The #2 and #3 hunt we specified exactly where we wanted to be. Then the wolves moved in and elk numbers plummeted so we have not been back. Not sure the current status of the herd.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
^^ I agree with you go4thegusto I hunted with Mel my first year and had a great trip but that was the last year that Mel owned it (2018). Now one of his former guides (Casey) owns it, we hunted with him in 2019 and it the most unprofessional/ass backwards hunt I was ever on.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
^^ I agree with you go4thegusto I hunted with Mel my first year and had a great trip but that was the last year that Mel owned it (2018). Now one of his former guides (Casey) owns it, we hunted with him in 2019 and it the most unprofessional/ass backwards hunt I was ever on.
We met Casey in training...was wondering about him.