2022 East coast guys heading west

Jbxl20

WKR
It’s 31 hours from my house in PA to where we hunt. We’ve drove straight through before and have stopped halfway and stayed at a hotel. I prefer the stopping halfway and that’s what we plan to do here in a few weeks.

Just wondering what kind of travel plans guys are planning heading west. Flying, driving, rental cars? If driving, going straight though or stopping at a hotel for the night?
Either way good luck this season!

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
I drive out every year from upstate NY, depending on the state 28-35 hours. Staying in my truck for a night at a rest stop seems to be the most painless way I have figured out with the bed set up as sleeping quarters. I hate staying in a hotel. By the time you get in it’s super late, I don’t trust keeping valuable stuff in my truck if I’m in a hotel so I end up bringing everything in, adds an hour or more to your travel twice a day.

26 hours from Pa. I’ve done it all. Never stopped halfway…. Closer to 3/4 of the way to make day 2 easy and to start setting camp at a decent time. I flew out once and had a partner pick me up. That was nice!

I’ve shut my eyes for 2 hours at a rest area then kept going. Two of us have driven straight through. This year there will be 3 of us so I don’t see us stopping. Good luck!

Drive solo, 1/2 to 3/4 of the way, sleep in my truck, drive the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
24-25hr straight thru every year heading out west from WNY. Usually 2-3 guys in the truck.
Funny story, had a buddy tag along one year for his first trip out west. When it was his turn to drive he got in the seat and drove for 30 minutes only to say "guys I can't do this" hopped outta the seat and didn't drive again. We still harass him to this day!!

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

28hr drive. We drive for 22 gotta good little pull off we been using for years. Take 2-3hr nap in truck, gets daylight and we drive the rest and set up camp. Sleep in next morning get camp lined out. Hunt for 10 to 14 days. Pack up and drive home talking about what we're doing different next year. We jot down notes on what we need in camp or what we'll be doing different. Been doing this for years. Jot down notes and keep them somewhere you can remember that way next year you'll have in camp what was fresh on your mind from last year. The older i get though the harder that drive gets. Stiffness and arthritis is setting in the bones. Danm it......

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
39ish hours straight through this past spring. Split between 3 guys. Heading back this fall to an area that should be a slightly shorter drive. This time there’ll only be two of us and I think we may stop somewhere 3/4 of the way for a quick power nap.

iaff3666

FNG
31 hours. from South Central PA 3 of us. get to mid Wyoming get a room a good night sleep. Finish the drive the next day be hunting that evening

Gosh I can't wait. enjoy and be safe!

30hrs for me..I break it up into 2 15 hr days...I take 3 weeks off so I stop in and see friends on my way to and from and usually in the state I am hunting..Also been known to detour to see interesting stuff or do some fishing.

WMag338

WKR
15-18 hours or 800-1000 miles/day. Can get to elk country in 2 days. I stop at a cheap Bates Motel somewhere to get a decent couple hours of sleep and a shower, then knock out the rest on day 2. I can't sleep in a truck without sleeping and feeling like crap the next day.

Fullfan

WKR
Pa to Idaho is about a 40 hour pull for us. Three of us drive and tow a 26’ enclosed trailer with all the gear, 4 guys are flying this year on diff days. They will rent vehicles and drive to camp. We are hunting the last 3 weeks of Sept.

We drive straight through in the way out, might stop for a night on the way home.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Past trips to Colorado there were at least two of us and we take turns driving. It’s about 24 hrs. Last year, went solo to Idaho but had the truck camper and just pulled into rest areas and caught a little shut eye and then hit the road again. Going out was two and half fulls days but coming back I did it in two as I was just ready to get back home. Going back to Idaho in October and will most likely be solo and then to SD in November and will be solo for sure. Problem is that we sold the truck camper so will probably just sleep in truck at rest areas on both trips.