2022 East coast guys heading west

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking the same thing. Lots of Pa hunters here. The 10% who do 90% of the killing right!
Three of us from Pa bowhunting and one using a recurve. So we need to kill 2.7 elk to maintain our 90% kill ratio. A tall task but should be a lot of fun trying.

Three of us from Pa bowhunting and one using a recurve. So we need to kill 2.7 elk to maintain our 90% kill ratio. A tall task but should be a lot of fun trying.
2 will be enough to do your part. 3 of us will punch 3 tags to help maintain the Pa average.

I’ve done my share of outfitting and guiding. My clients from Pa were always great hunters. Same goes for Michigan. I wouldn’t want to be a bull bedded down on a mountain and see a bunch of Pennsylvania license plates pull in at the trailhead! 😳

Tsimms

FNG
26 hours for us. Drive 13 hrs to Illinois and stay with friends. 13 hrs the next day. Usually four of us but six this year. We rented a Mercedes Sprinter van with leather captains chairs for everyone. Back seat of a 2500 truck gets old quick.

Loper

WKR
It would be a 35 hour drive for me and my buddies from Florida. We’ve been flying the last few seasons.

I’ve done the drive solo to and from WY when I was in my early twenties (before I started hunting) and I broke it up into 3 days, going 10+ hours a day. I like driving so it didn’t bother me much but I don’t think I’d want to do it leading up to a hunt.

I drive out every year from upstate NY, depending on the state 28-35 hours. Staying in my truck for a night at a rest stop seems to be the most painless way I have figured out with the bed set up as sleeping quarters. I hate staying in a hotel. By the time you get in it’s super late, I don’t trust keeping valuable stuff in my truck if I’m in a hotel so I end up bringing everything in, adds an hour or more to your travel twice a day.
Smart man! Especially in this day and age!

Traveler

WKR
I’ve driven the 26 hours in the past and that is my preference. Will be flying this year, got an SKB case for my bow. Have a small archery target in bag to check it out near airport. Renting vehicle to get to hunt spot, hunting partner vehicle after that point.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
It;s almost 2200 miles to where we hunt in Montana and will drive instead of flying once I retire. Then I'll stay the whole month of September in my tent.

Belleau

FNG
Anyone have a real comparasion of expenses between flying and driving? I'm still debating with my partner if we should drive or fly from Quebec. We did some calculation, but comparing with at what you guys experienced would help. Thanks! :)

joejoe8

FNG
We fly every hunt, takes us about 5 hours to fly and 38h to drive. For us its about days to hunt, we only really lose one day of day light. Fly out late on a Thus afternoon after work. Most every hunt we are walking in the next morning before day light. Always fly back on Sunday so thats the only day we lose. Getting meat and antlers home is always expensive. But I'd rather pay more to hunt more days.

davsco

WKR
did nw va to nw colo in 2018, 19 & 20. wife and dog along for the ride. about 30 hours each way. drove about 10 hours each day, hotel each nite. retired and in no rush.

i'd consider flying to denver but man, especially doing DIY OTC, no idea how i'd get all my crap on the plane, and even worse on the return flight if i were successful with a bunch meat.

Karlg

FNG
Also drive VA to CO, the plane tickets aren’t too bad when compared to the gas and hotel cost, for me it’s the rental car cost (approx $100 per day) that tips the scale to preferring to drive and the ability to bring all my gear and bring home the meat without dealing with any ridiculousness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk