2022 East coast guys heading west

I’ve done straight through (26-27 hours) twice and hated it. Feel like a soggy sh!t sandwich for at least a day after.

Now I drive 18 hours the first day 7-8hrs 2nd day. Feel much better and more rested and makes the hunt more enjoyable.

Carr5vols

WKR
24 to 30 hours depending on the state. Done it solo and with guys, left all different hours to time missing traffic in big citiies and what we found to be best is the following. Leave around 10pm drive for 19 to 20 hours and get a hotel in a city with elevation over 7k(extra acclimation time) get up early finish the drive and get in the unit before noon. Check out some down low areas or glass from the truck some areas we have an interest in (still acclimating) then move on to desired spot. On the way back drop the hammer and never turn her off.

tntrker

WKR
Drove 34 hours from SC to MT split into 3 days solo. Will be doing the drive again in a few weeks. I just take it easy as not to be burnt out any for the hunt. On the way back is a differant story...

7Bartman

WKR
Wow, looks like I'm in the minority. Flying from MD to Bozeman. Grabbing a good night's sleep in a hotel and off with the rental truck the next day. Rental prices went way up this year, but then again so did everything.

Wow, looks like I'm in the minority. Flying from MD to Bozeman. Grabbing a good night's sleep in a hotel and off with the rental truck the next day. Rental prices went way up this year, but then again so did everything.
Rental prices fluctuated drastically. 10 day rental on a Suburban went from $1000 in March to $1700 in May. Dropped to $469 in July and now back up to $1300. Locked in at $469.

7Bartman

WKR
Rental prices fluctuated drastically. 10 day rental on a Suburban went from $1000 in March to $1700 in May. Dropped to $469 in July and now back up to $1300. Locked in at $469.
They definitely did. That's an insane good deal on that surburban though. I was able to snag a quad cab truck for 7 days for $750ish. Now, if they can only hold the reservation vs. take it :).

They definitely did. That's an insane good deal on that surburban though. I was able to snag a quad cab truck for 7 days for $750ish. Now, if they can only hold the reservation vs. take it :).
If that suburban isn't there when I go to pick it up I'll lose my mind. My stress level will drop once we start heading west.

hoff1ck

WKR
About 26 from Michigan. Have done it both ways, but last year two of us drove 16-18ish hours I think and then stopped at a state forest campground for 6-7 hours of sleep. Not sure you need to grab a hotel or get too fancy, we just throw cots out next to the truck and go to sleep. As other have said, I think taking those few extra hours to actually get some sleep on the way out pays big dividends those first few days hunting. Can’t see me driving straight through anymore unless it’s on the tail end of the hunt to squeeze in some more daylight hours in the field.

trdhtr

FNG
26 hrs non-stop from SW PA to CO last year solo. This year picking up a buddy in St. Louis then another in KS. Looking forward to sharing the driving this year!!

I'm South Central Pa and have about 28-29hrs to Colorado or Wyoming. We (two of use) have always drove straight through. That really sucks. I'm going solo twice this year. Once in Sept and in Nov. I will have to stop and get a Hotel solo but not sure when and where. I am giving myself plenty of time to travel so I'm not to worried about it.

Jethro

WKR
Every year we do it straight through from eastern PA. 3 or 4 guys, rotate driving/sleeping. Yeah by KS or NE the drive sucks, but the next day the excitement of the hunt makes you forget you are sleep deprived.

We (My son and I) take our time.....leave PA early day 1 and get to York Nebraska late that day....stop and snooze and get a really good shower...then leave early Day 2 to Laramie for some stuff and then to camp about 3pm.

On the way back it depends on if we are hauling meat back with us.

Full trip is either 9 or 10 days plus I always take two days off before we leave and two days after for the unexpected (Drying Tents, Meat care, gear problems, etc...)..to us it's an adventure / vacation ( not a race) since we don't get to spend much time together.

OP
Jbxl20

Jbxl20

WKR
Doesn’t bother me as much driving straight through but Stopping on the way home just to shower is definitely nice.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Flying from Pa to Montana and rented a 3/4 pick-up. Leave Pa around 7am and arrive in Montana just after noon. Should have camp set up by dark.

Driving from PA again this year. It’s about 32 hours. One of our guys is flying this year to save on vacation. We always drive straight through. Works best with 3 so 1 can lay in the back and sleep.

I'm shocked by how many of us are doing this from pa. With a buddy I don't mind pushing 20 hours a day, solo my cap is about 900 miles.

Solo this year, will do 2.5 days each way from se pa to Colorado.

Karlg

FNG
Driving 26 hours solo, VA to CO. Plan to stop halfway and sleep in the back cap unless it’s too warm in which case I’ll stop for a hot shower and AC.

13 hours is my max on a drive, my back just doesn’t like anything more than that. I also always stop and get a nice hotel the night getting out of the mountains. A good hot shower and cool room with a comfy bed just feels amazing fresh out of the mountains!

Last edited:
18 hrs straight through. Just stop to refuel. Done it 15 times now between hunting seasons and summer vacation trips. Thirty times if you count there and then back. Occasionally road work or hitting bad Traffic can push it an hour or even two. Albuquerque traffic can be a pain in the butt. Seems pretty routine now. Nothing like you East Coast guys. Safe travels to all you guys!