2022 Elk Rifle Training

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice. Agree with cardio/legs/core. One thought- rucking/weights/cardio don't simulate the endless off balance, off kilter slog through knee high downed trees needed to get to those stinky beasts. How you would simulate other than doing it I have yet to figure out.

Ever thought to try doing lunges with a dumbell/kettlebell in each hand or carry your weighted pack while lunging with your lead foot onto a Bosu ball? Seems like a pretty legit balance/strength workout that would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever thought to try doing lunges with a dumbell/kettlebell in each hand or carry your weighted pack while lunging with your lead foot onto a Bosu ball? Seems like a pretty legit balance/strength workout that would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, very tough to simulate. Any exercise that strengthens and stabilizes your core would help in those situations. A few good ones to start now would be normal planks and side planks. Work up to 1-2 minutes in each position, and then do 3 sets of each every other day. Increasing your core strength provides benefits in all areas. Your squats and lunges both will become easier and your balance should also improve.

Agree, very tough to simulate. Any exercise that strengthens and stabilizes your core would help in those situations. A few good ones to start now would be normal planks and side planks. Work up to 1-2 minutes in each position, and then do 3 sets of each every other day. Increasing your core strength provides benefits in all areas. Your squats and lunges both will become easier and your balance should also improve.

...sorry. posted without adding I'll have to try both suggestions.
Make sure to mind your form when you first start on the planks. A straight back is key, so when you're beginning, only hold it so long as you can maintain good position. Its crazy how fast you can increase your strength and duration as long as you are consistently doing them every other day. They will also flatten a Busch diesel gut like mine and firm up the old love handles. LOL!

Once you get beyond a minute for the first time, you'll think that time has slowed down or stood still. When the shaking starts, its time to stop. :)

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but you might consider walking/jogging/weighted pack up and down the steps at a High School stadium. That's one of the only ways I can simulate elevation around here. It has helped me a bunch. We have hunted from 8,500-12,200 the last two years. I believe the stadium workouts helped make that possible.

trchandl2

FNG
View attachment 382932Started training for Elk season today.

Aiming to shoot twice a month, hike twice a month (with loaded pack), and do running/weight pack lunges twice a week in addition to my normal strength routine.

Haven’t shot the rifle in a while, but for accountability here is today’s group @200yds prone off my pack with a tikka t3 in 7mag.

Time to put that pre-season work in!
Solid plan.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice. Agree with cardio/legs/core. One thought- rucking/weights/cardio don't simulate the endless off balance, off kilter slog through knee high downed trees needed to get to those stinky beasts. How you would simulate other than doing it I have yet to figure out.
Knockdown is grueling, my sons zone this year… endless, we will not hunt there again.

bcox90

FNG
View attachment 382932Started training for Elk season today.

Aiming to shoot twice a month, hike twice a month (with loaded pack), and do running/weight pack lunges twice a week in addition to my normal strength routine.

Haven’t shot the rifle in a while, but for accountability here is today’s group @200yds prone off my pack with a tikka t3 in 7mag.

Time to put that pre-season work in!
I appreciate the accountability and drive. Also the openess to adapt your program baseed on all the input. Props!

OP
Alegault

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
Accountability - from last post (28th) through today:
  1. Tue - run 1.5 mile + lunge 200yds (weighted)
  2. Wed - lift
  3. Thurs - lift
  4. Fri - traveling/no activity
  5. Sat - treadmill 20 mins on full uphill at 3.1 + quick lift
  6. Sun - traveling/no activity
  7. Today - peloton ride 20min HIIT w/ our favorite Kendall. Will dry fire after dinner.
Unfortunately due to being out of town for the weekend, could not get to the range and more off days in there than intended. Tons of traveling coming up so need to find a way to get it done regardless. Can't let these be excuses.

Going to try to work in a round of those weighted step ups this week and ramp up the distances/times a little more. Thanks again gents.

Thanks for all input on conditioning. Currently my planned workouts looks something like

M- lift
T-run 2-3 miles, lunge 200yds weight pack
W- lift
Th- run 2-3 miles, lunge 200yds weight pack
F - lift
S- ski/hike or peloton
S- rest and cheat day

I also tend to throw in a random peloton sesh on one of the lift days if I have time.

I’ll maybe try to get closer to once a week hike after ski season. Maybe I could also throw in another peloton sesh during the week. I usually only do a 20 min hiit or hills, so existing sessions could also be longer
I used to lift, I did boxing, Jiujitsu, and a few small MMA fights. I was in incredible shape...but sucked at hiking the mountains. Before that I was a very bad college runner and very good army runner...I still sucked at hiking in the mountains.

Fast forward 20 years and 30lbs. All I do now is peloton strength and HIIT, and hike in the summer. I went from 185lbs to 165lbs in a few months and have been able to stay there for a couple years. I feel like I'm in great shape for the mountains. It kinda make sense to me. Hunting is spurts of energy, longer climbs up peaks, and the ability to do all that many many times a day for a several days in a row. Running is just get in the groove and go far, that doesn't translate to the mountains.

I think HIIT and some HIIT style weight training is the best. Everyone has a way that works for them, and your plan looks great. Don't let 20-30 min a day feel like a short workout. That's all I do and I feel like I"m in the best mountain shape I've ever been in.

My plan nowdays is: uppper body weights 30 min and core 10 min (M and Th), lower body 30 min (T and F), and HITT(W and St) rest on Sunday. It's 30-40 min a day and I don't have to go to a gym! Then I throw in scouting hikes in the summer to get boots and pack time.

Oh and I don't really drink alcohol anymore, probably should have led with that but I think that's important for weight but not 100% necessary.

OP
Alegault

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
Accountability since last post.

T- 1.5 mile run, lunge 200yd weighted
W- lift
Th- off
S- lift + incline tread 20mins
S- lift + incline tread 20 mins
(Today)M- lift legs only

Been in Mexico the last few days but still getting some work in. Failing on that no alcohol part as it’s my honeymoon… we’ll cut back when I’m home lol.

Need to get it the range again as soon once I’m back as well.

For the shooting side it's all about how far you feel comfortable, and that is all about time at the range. The amount of time you spend at the range is directly proportional to how far you feel comfortable shooting. I go to the range far less often than I should (even though it's private and nobody is ever there and its 10 min from my house). I shoot my bow every day at home.

T- 1.5 mile run, lunge 200yd weighted
W- lift
Th- off
S- lift + incline tread 20mins
S- lift + incline tread 20 mins
(Today)M- lift legs only

Been in Mexico the last few days but still getting some work in. Failing on that no alcohol part as it’s my honeymoon… we’ll cut back when I’m home lol.

Need to get it the range again as soon once I’m back as well.
I had a trainer years ago who was in great shape but didn't have that typical trainer look and 6-pack. The other trainers and some of the guys training would make fun of it sometimes. But he told me it's all about lifestyle. If you want beers and burgers that's great, but that 6-pack isn't gonna happen. I look at working out as part of my health and part of my hobby. I won't ever have that 6-pack again, but I don't think that'll keep me from moving fast in the mountains. All that to say, alcohol in moderation, burgers and pizza in moderation, exercise in moderation. It's all about the lifestyle you want.

OP
Alegault

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider

T- lift + incline tread
W- lift + incline tread
Th/Fri- off
Sat - 30min hike, 150 push ups
Sun/today - off

Some wedding festivities through the weekend in Mexico made it tough but managed to at least get something in. Back in the states but away from home for work this week. Need to get back in the groove via the hotel gym!

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
This might be harder time wise since you live in Seattle but I would get to the mountains and woods as much as you can. I stay in mountain shape by being in the mountains. I practice my shooting for hunting in the mountains by shooting in the mountains. I prefer if I am shooting at an animal. Even if your just coyote hunting your best training will be getting in the woods and hunting for other things when it’s not elk season. One year my buddy talked me into doing a triathlon in the summer I thought we would be flying over the hills. Nope we weren’t in mountain shape. I did a workout to get in shape for skiing. I was still beat after my first few days skiing. I realized I could only get in shape for skiing by skiing. I wrestled all through college and ran and lifted hard every day one summer. First few days of live wrestling I was still gassed, I could only get in real shape for wrestling by wrestling. Workouts in the gym are great and I do that too. The best thing you can do to get in shape for hunting is hunt. I think you could find some off season predators to hunt. Coyotes at a minimum. Hunting coyotes in the thick mountains will make killing an elk seem easy😂your dedication is great but get in the mountains as often as you can and hunt some off season game. just a thought as an addition to your normal workout . I stay in mountain shape by spending time in the mountains not really any substitutions for that in my opinion.

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
Elk hunting training is all year along.
load and shoot improvised, shoot as much as I can.
Stay on stairs masters 2-3 times a week, each time for 45-60 minutes.

OP
Alegault

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
92601ADB-C06B-419A-8388-F337946722B8.jpegGroups from the range today. 162gr Eld-x at 200yds.